Accomplished nothing so far

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a considerably bigger batch of powder to smelt this time.
This powder is in the perfect form to clean to amost pure, once molten and solid it will be much harder, and you have to dissolve the gold again, should you want it refined.
This is a good point to weigh that powder should you proceed to melting.
But as said, it does not look like gold powder to me, at least not a high purity. Was this cemented or precipitated from solution?
It all depends on your wishes, how to proceed.

You all are correct. It is definitely not high purity powder. The material was recovered from my earliest wastes that I did not filter, denox, chill or do most anything correctly. The cleaned up solution that was used tested positive with stannous chloride. It was denoxed with a little sulphamic acid and precipitated with ferrous sulfate, decanted, dried and crushed with mortar and pestal to a fine powder. I don’t expect much, but anything at this point is a recovery. ty

I smelted part of my non-magnetic powder from waste last nite. Result was very little gold - just sporadic grains. Didn’t detect any copper, but some white crystalline substance and perhaps silver. You folks were right that powder did not look right to begin with. I think I’m going to give up on gold retrieval from my waste. It is evaporating slowly. And I’ve neutralized and disposed of about two gallons of liquid. I’ll incinerate remaining solids once more liquid is gone. I don’t think there’s much use in smelting the remaining powder.

I smelted part of my non-magnetic powder from waste last nite. Result was very little gold - just sporadic grains. Didn’t detect any copper, but some white crystalline substance and perhaps silver. You folks were right that powder did not look right to begin with. I think I’m going to give up on gold retrieval from my waste. It is evaporating slowly. And I’ve neutralized and disposed of about two gallons of liquid. I’ll incinerate remaining solids once more liquid is gone. I don’t think there’s much use in smelting the remaining powder.
The amount of Gold in your starting material is in less than tenths of grams.
As was hinted to in the beginning.
I have not been following closely what you have been doing lately.
But nothing has "evaporated", what was there is still there as long as you have not disposed of it.
It may barely be visible as the amount will be small.

Haven’t done a whole lot of refining lately. I put aside trying to recover gold from my limited waste. The last effort resulted in only a tiny amount of gold retrieval. So I’m just treating and disposing of what waste products are left. I did clean out the remnants of my last crucible and placed them in a small beaker with a few ml of water to examine the residue. Anyone know what element/compound formed those red specks? ty

Attachments

• IMG_6006.jpeg
    IMG_6006.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Processed and disposed of another gallon of waste successfully. When I was trying to recover lost gold I had stored a 1000 cc beaker of old denoxed aqua regia that didn’t drop any precipitant at the time. Now I found it appears to contain silver chloride crystals. I read that this result can sometimes occur.

Back