New App for visual Gold and PM analysis !

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcel

Supporting Member
I'm excited to introduce a new project to the GRF community. As an engineer, I've always been on the lookout for innovative ways to identify and process precious metals. With the advent of artificial intelligence tools, I've decided to harness this cutting-edge technology to develop software that might someday become mainstream.

IMG_0698.PNGIMG_0696.PNGIMG_0697.PNG

Notes: Image 3 comes from a thread here in GRF forums https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/what-kind-of-metal-is-this.34154/
The app provides several languages like English, German, Spanish, French, Arabic and others.

More specifically, I've launched an app named "Is it Gold?" designed to assist beginners in:

1. Identifying unknown materials, whether it be jewelry, dental scrap, electronics, or other potentially gold-bearing metals and even ores!
2. Providing some context about the material, including where, when, and for what purpose it might have been used.
3. Estimating the material's value.

The app utilizes photos taken with a smartphone camera (preferred), but you're also welcome to try photos from the internet, like eBay auctions, etc.

isitGold-Apple-store.jpg

Our developed software is capable of discerning material properties from its color, reflections, and several other parameters. For instance, it can differentiate polished bronze from gold to a certain extent by analyzing a photo.

We're aware of the various colors in gold alloys. This represents a challenge, but it's one that AI can overcome with ample training. The more the AI encounters different types of gold, such as red gold, white gold, etc., the better it will become at determining the composition just by analyzing the image. This might seem like magic, but it's actually the technology of the future.

Please check like and share our (a bit gaga) YT video ! Thank you so much!

What this app is not (and may never be) is a "poor man's XRF."
XRF is a precisely defined physical measurement technology that uses X-rays. It's been engineered to do just that. Our system is more like a newborn baby, learning new things every time it sees and reads something about the test object. It will remember what it has learned and use this knowledge in future tests. At the end of this process, we aim to provide you with your personal gold expert.

This is brandnew AI tech stuff, so bear with use! We know the value estimation is sometimes off, because the AI does not handle a given weight always correctly. That being said, it may use the total weight of an object as gold weight instead of using the portion that is gold or gold plated. We know that, but to ensure that this calculation is always correct, we would have to use a far mor complex and expensive AI. We are testing this at the moment and it all depends on the user and if they are willing to pay for ultra high precision answers or rather have free or low cost preliminary assesments.

Other than that the AI assesment should always provide you valuable information about an unknown object that may contain precious metals!

We're looking for beta testers!

Working with AI technology means: The software learns over time. This marks a fundamental difference from conventional software. The more you use this app, and the more use cases we can examine, the better the predictions will become. So do not expect it to be perfect right from the beginning.

We need your valuable feedback on results, user interface, glitches, and anything that could be improved in the software design to create an outstanding virtual gold expert!

Thank you for your time, and I hope you find this app useful.

This is where you can get the app:

Either go to your appstore, playstore or go to our landing page website at:

https://isitgold.flutterflow.app/app-information

Cool program. It would be nice to have a few free scans to test it out before being charged tho.
Android: It has to be done manually. You will have to download and install the app first though. Then contact me via PM and send me the email at which you registered. We will give away a total amount of 1000 scans for free among those who apply.

For Apple iOS there is a free 7 day trial period that includes 70 scans. You need to subscribe, yes, but you are not charged for 7 days and can use the app, cancel or continue with a plan as you like.

My thoughts (which are worth exactly what you paid for them) is that this is using physical properties for determination much like the old jeweler's stone without acid. Like XRF, I don't think it will look much beyond surface plating. I would use density as a minimum back up.

SRM

With AI, machines work differently than we are used from computers in general. To make it short: With an image alone, no system can not detect what is below the surface. What the analysis will return is: The typical application for an object (Transistor, relay etc.) its typical gold content or areas that are typically gold or gold plated inside. Typical counterfeit features that are visible from the outside (shape, craftsmanship, color, wear etc) for coins or bullions and some jewellery.
AT the end you get a feedback that you may as well become from an expert who you show your item. 24/7 and unbiased, because the app does not want to sell you something or buy something from you.
Now that you know what your object is and how much PMs are to be suspected you can do the next step and try to cash it in, being in the advantage of knowing what your material might be worth.
It is like making a video call with an expert and this expert will give you relevant context about your material.

In contrast to public websites such as eBay, forums, or social media, where many post their images, the release of an app through Google or Apple requires adherence to very strict legal regulations. The precise use of data is explicitly prescribed. For the user profile, only the email address anonymized by Apple or Google is used. We do not deal in precious metals, nor do we mediate such transactions. We send no advertisements or newsletters. Data is not shared, sold, or otherwise commercially exploited. The app project is based in the EU, specifically in Germany, not somewhere in Asia or Russia. Here in the EU, we have some of the strictest data protection laws in the world. We respect these, and I, Marcel Alexander Buth, stand by my name, my address, and my contact options through my website, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other social media. One can call me or ring my doorbell if they have questions (as some have done in the past). Those who share their images and information on the anonymous internet should have fewer worries about their data falling into the wrong hands when it comes to an app on their own smartphone.

I agree on one point: Insights, problems, and errors in application help us to improve accuracy. For this reason, we want to receive feedback from users.

I hope this clears up some questions and alleviates concerns.

And while I am at it: Here is another (authorized by the user) screenshot of a test sample. The AI estimated weight was far off (60g vs 6g)
I use this oportunity to encourage using a coin as reference within the photo area.

IMG_0702.PNG

Last edited:
And here is another one. I took this picture myself at the historical center of Frankfurt/Germany called Römer (because of the Romans who expanded their empire to this region).
The Assesment was correct. The eagle is Gold-plated. beneath is some golden colored Copper alloy like Bronze or Brass.
Instead of Gold-alloy it should rather be Gold-plated. We will introduce this category with the next update.

IMG_0708.PNG

I should have clarified that I was complimenting you in your ingenuity in using a forum like this to test your app. Also it was a good way to build your database of photos which I assume this app does ( I stand to be corrected on this one). Best of luck with app I was not knocking you and I am very familiar with the data protection laws as I am sure you are aware its the Irish Data Commissioner who implements them on behalf of the EU.

Back