Reduction of gold from a mixed solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so you have a concentrate derived from ore using chlorine leaching.
Without an analysis on the concentrate or assay on the ore you will have trouble finding a buyer or getting much interest here.
How was the concentrate dropped from the chlorinated leach solution?

Cheers Wal
Who are you replying to?
There are at least two simultaneous discussions here.

Ok, so you have a concentrate derived from ore using chlorine leaching.
Without an analysis on the concentrate or assay on the ore you will have trouble finding a buyer or getting much interest here.
How was the concentrate dropped from the chlorinated leach solution?

Cheers Wal
While the solution was hot, the powder was withdrawn using FeSO4, and then from the rest of the solution with NaCO3 so as not to miss anything. Now I process the powders that have accumulated.

Lola, most of us use what is called a "stock pot". After we've recovered our gold, or silver, or other values with SMB, ferrous sulfate, etc., we pour the remaining solution into our stock pot. Most of us put pieces of copper into this pot. Copper will cement out any remaining values, while leaving base metals in the solution.

When you use sodium carbonate, you'll precipitate any remaining values, but you'll also be precipitating base metals, so you end up with a "dirty" combination of oxides and hydroxides, which complicates reclaiming any values.

Dave

Lola, most of us use what is called a "stock pot". After we've recovered our gold, or silver, or other values with SMB, ferrous sulfate, etc., we pour the remaining solution into our stock pot. Most of us put pieces of copper into this pot. Copper will cement out any remaining values, while leaving base metals in the solution.

When you use sodium carbonate, you'll precipitate any remaining values, but you'll also be precipitating base metals, so you end up with a "dirty" combination of oxides and hydroxides, which complicates reclaiming any values.

Dave
Thank You

IMG_20160814_172113.jpg
Yggdrasil said if this is a salt of some metal. It's not salt. I dissolved the powder in AR, added copper and got this light colored powder.
1707158524246.png
I tried to melt a smaller part. Got a black-silver melt with a lot of copper on top. Then I exposed the rest of the powder to concentrated sulfuric acid. Got this.
1707159798435.jpeg
After pouring water into this mass, all the white powder went into the solution and remained dark brown-black. Filtered. This is that dark powder insoluble in sulfur. What could it be?
IMG_20160828_142641.jpg

I added KOH to the rest of the solution and got this.

1707160077760.jpeg
1707160103629.jpeg

This is rhodium.

Lola.
You are not listening to advice and continue to randomly mix chemicals.
I can't get through to you so this might be my last comment to you.
Hopefully someone else will pick up the thread.

No you do not have Rhodium.
Most Salts dissolve in AR.
If you put Copper in that you will have PMs mixed with some Copper.
Unless you somehow screw it up.

Goodbye, I'm out of this thread.

Lola.
You are not listening to advice and continue to randomly mix chemicals.
I can't get through to you so this might be my last comment to you.
Hopefully someone else will pick up the thread.

No you do not have Rhodium.
Most Salts dissolve in AR.
If you put Copper in that you will have PMs mixed with some Copper.
Unless you somehow screw it up.

Goodbye, I'm out of this thread.
You advised me to draw precious metals with copper. The small part that I melted took me almost half an hour.

You advised me to draw precious metals with copper. The small part that I melted took me almost half an hour.
I am not talking about the cementing or the melting.
The rest of your actions do not make sense.
How much liquid did you cement and how long did you leave it in?

Extraction fluids with copper? Not too much and I kept it at an elevated temperature while there was a reaction.
Now let us get to the basic here.
I will give this one more try.
First take your Carbonates, KOH/NaOH, Sulfuric and put them somewhere else, not in the Lab.
All you need for this is HCl, Nitric, Chlorine source, Peroxide and glassware

Answer all of these questions.
1. How much and what material was used Ore/E-waste?
2. How did you dissolve it and for how long? Describe the reactions
3. How much liquid was left after it was filtered?
4. How do it look and what is the pH?
5. Describe in detail how you cemented it? Step by step and pictures of each step if you have.

Now let us get to the basic here.
I will give this one more try.
First take your Carbonates, KOH/NaOH, Sulfuric and put them somewhere else, not in the Lab.
All you need for this is HCl, Nitric, Chlorine source, Peroxide and glassware

Answer all of these questions.
1. How much and what material was used Ore/E-waste?
2. How did you dissolve it and for how long? Describe the reactions
3. How much liquid was left after it was filtered?
4. How do it look and what is the pH?
5. Describe in detail how you cemented it? Step by step and pictures of each step if you have.
It is possible with the new treatment. As soon as the warm weather starts, and it has started, I have a lot of obligations. greeting

But not redissolving in it? that's strange. that sounds more like a salt than an element. Like silver chloride behaves that way.
I have a half a gram of 'mystery metal' in a test tube that came from my very first gold purification many years ago. It's absolutely metallic, as I can 'squish' it between two smooth hard surfaces and give it a silvery metallic polish. It came from old low-carat scrap jewelry and is likely the trace amount of PGMs. It too refused to re-dissolve in AR after it auto-reduced from the gold-containing AR solution as it cooled. I suspect that it was more soluble from its amalgamated form in the gold, but once the atoms of the PGM found each other and formed a purer PGM particle, they became far more resistant to AR.

I think you are dealing with a troll. Lola has not responded to a single question proposed to her, I am assuming Lola is female. You have a lot more patience then I, and you are much more diplomatic. It has only messed with our heads.
Gender is not important, and since He/She is from a former Warsaw treaty block country,
the Spanish Lola do not necessarily apply.

So why do you do chemistry the way you are doing it, and everything but the suggested way by members, particularly Yggdrasil, who has tried to be so accommodating? I have viewed what you are doing, as a slap in the face to everyone who has tried to help you.
Excuse me. While I was posting about the powder obtained from SMB and FeSO4, I received comments that doubted the veracity of what was written, and how it is garbage and not gold. I will do the whole process as Ygdrasil said this weekend. Otherwise, I have other jobs and don't have enough free time. I don't think the type of ore and the amount of ore is important. Metal solution and reductant are essential. I will take pictures and write the procedure. I want to sell powder or get pure refined precious metal.

Gender is not important, and since He/She is from a former Warsaw treaty block country,
the Spanish Lola do not necessarily apply.
Croatia was in the Warsaw bloc for only three years in 1945-1948. Many Croats have never come to terms with the same policy. Even today we have two currents. Today, communism threatens countries that were never communist. You said that politics is forbidden. You started first.
I will put the ore in acid, drop the powder, photograph the process, write and see you at the weekend! Greetings

Back