Reduction of gold from a mixed solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you do a Stannous test?
We consider the Stannous test our eyes when refining.
Even if we dissolve know Gold and precipitate it we do Stannous tests to verify all Gold has dropped.

You have to tune down your attitude a bit.

A saturated Gold solution is orange almost red, a beautiful color by the way.
Less saturated clean Gold is yellow and then all kinds of mixed colors to greenish and blueish depending on what other metals are in the solution.
The ready precipitated Gold when it is clean is some where around a pale cinnamon color.
But still the only way to know is to do a Stannous test.
Or ICP and similar stenographic analysis, but not many have access to that.

Even if we dissolve know Gold and precipitate it we do Stannous tests to verify all Gold has dropped.

Less saturated clean Gold is yellow and then all kinds of mixed colors to greenish and blueish depending on what other metals are in the solution.
The ready precipitated Gold when it is clean is some where around a pale cinnamon color.

Like this?

Attachments

• IMG_20240124_123446415.jpg
    IMG_20240124_123446415.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Would that be it? after reduction with bacdo, boiled in nitric acid? How long does the powder boil in acid when washing? Longer or enough to boil a little?
I'd wish you could get your pictures in focus.
On my computer his picture is not good enough to determine anything.

Is copper pulling the platinum metals group or just gold and silver?
How is your studies going?
This topic has been covered literally thousands of times in the forum and even many times in your threads.
Yes, Copper will pull/cement all precious metals.
And do learn to use the proper names for processes, please.

The color is not bad, but you have given us no details so it might just be some soil.
Specially with the strange items inside.
It is not soil, but I have described what is in the description. I tried to melt and it's no good. Copper is abundant. because I cooked in the HNO3, but for a short time. I still have powder left, I think that now everything needs to be cleaned in sulfuric acid.

It is not soil, but I have described what is in the description. I tried to melt and it's no good. Copper is abundant. because I cooked in the HNO3, but for a short time. I still have powder left, I think that now everything needs to be cleaned in sulfuric acid.
Read the reply and who it is directed to.
This post was not directed to you but to Hardlife2316.

You can not melt because there is too much Copper ?
Or there is much Copper?
You do not cook chemicals, you boil them which can be a bad idea if you have values in them.

You can not melt because there is too much Copper ?
Or there is much Copper?
You do not cook chemicals, you boil them which can be a bad idea if you have values in them.
So when the powder is cleaned, it should not be boiled in acids, but only heated and kept warm?
Yes, it melted, but there is too much copper. I only tried a small amount. It did not form into a ball and is difficult to melt.

So when the powder is cleaned, it should not be boiled in acids, but only heated and kept warm?
Yes, it melted, but there is too much copper. I only tried a small amount. It did not form into a ball and is difficult to melt.
Where did I say that?
You can boil (simmer/ low boil) powders but never solutions.
And when it is clean you can dry it and keep it until you are ready melt it.
If you can't melt Copper 1 085 °C, you most likely can't melt Gold 1 064 °C it is only 20 degrees separating them.

Where did I say that?
You can boil (simmer/ low boil) powders but never solutions.
And when it is clean you can dry it and keep it until you are ready melt it.
If you can't melt Copper 1 085 °C, you most likely can't melt Gold 1 064 °C it is only 20 degrees separating them.
I melted but the result is dirty

The color is not bad, but you have given us no details so it might just be some soil.
Specially with the strange items inside.
The gold came out of the black sand by way of Mercury then I nitric the Mercury refined the gold with aqua rage then brought the Mercury back by copper the flat pieces that you see are gold foil

The gold came out of the black sand by way of Mercury then I nitric the Mercury refined the gold with aqua rage then brought the Mercury back by copper the flat pieces that you see are gold foil
Are the use of Mercury legal in California?
If you use Mercury you NEED to get yourself a retort and stop dissolving it.
Dissolving Mercury is a sure way to a early and not very nice death.

Ok, so you have a concentrate derived from ore using chlorine leaching.
Without an analysis on the concentrate or assay on the ore you will have trouble finding a buyer or getting much interest here.
How was the concentrate dropped from the chlorinated leach solution?

Cheers Wal

Back