Interesting HDD disassembly machine

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BShan

I recall that Apple made a big fuss over how it can responsibly disassemble and recycle their own old phones. It does seem easier to disassemble something if you know exactly how it was assembled, but to have to reverse-engineer every unknown device just to create a disassembly routine for a robot sounds like it could get tedious and rife with errors.

This thing, marketed towards disassembling HDDs, looks like an interesting solution:

I'll admit, I thought about it going the other way around: AI-enabled firmware to allow a CNC-type armature to figure out on its own how to unscrew screws and what to pry on. But this is neat because you, nor the machine, have to do much learning; just shake the thing until it falls apart!

They didn't mention a price, but it reminds me of the anecdotal notion that the sellers of gold mining equipment were more likely to earn a living than the prospectors themselves.

Marcel, you gonna make us an AI robot to help us dismantle things?

Back