GoldSilverPro's Book For Sale

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Chris,

I hope you are well.
I just ordered your book through the links you sent on the forum.

Do you know when I woujld recieve the book?
Is it sent electronically or pysical?

I hope to hear from you soon.
I also look forward in seeing your book.

Regards
Ronak

I got it from a Non-Destructive testing company who do xray work and use this to work the film.

Judging by your reactions it seems likely that something is not right with thr eadings and maybe it can be explained as follows

The sample from which we did our test had been put into a crucible that had just been used for recovering other metals and then heated and baked hard. We used a piece of this to get our readings and it has given it a false reading.

The guy who sent the powder off to be recovered owned the machine on which we tested. He uses it to check his gold that he buys.

I will try and get a better reading on a new sample and then hopefully it still has lots of plat. in it.

Zanerosspalmer said:
I got it from a Non-Destructive testing company who do xray work and use this to work the film.

Judging by your reactions it seems likely that something is not right with thr eadings and maybe it can be explained as follows

The sample from which we did our test had been put into a crucible that had just been used for recovering other metals and then heated and baked hard. We used a piece of this to get our readings and it has given it a false reading.

The guy who sent the powder off to be recovered owned the machine on which we tested. He uses it to check his gold that he buys.

I will try and get a better reading on a new sample and then hopefully it still has lots of plat. in it.

I put this post on the original thread. When you split things up, like you just did, it can get confusing.
http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=11843&p=116228#p116228

I keep this ebook open on my computer in the shop. There is so much valuable info in it I never close it. Well worth the price. Very well written and easy to follow. Highly recomend!

Now that i'm doing silver i have found Chris's information to be well worth the little money it cost. I would have lost more doing it in the blind had i not found his book. I highly recommend it!!!!!

I am sharing here just to say:
" Thanks Chris for your e-book. It is realy a precious guideline's book for precious metal scrap business"

Thanks a lot.

MDA20

Just purchased a copy of this and looking forward to doing a lot of reading and learning along with my copy of Hoke's book, looking forward to putting them into practice sometime when i feel confident armed with the information :) . Well done for writing and compiling the information.

Jon

GSP, I just got your book is (turns out I already had it, oh well) and quickly scanned through it today. One question, on page 91, 9C says to remove the hot crucible from the furnace and fill it with damp silver crystal. I am new to all of this, but an old friend who recovered silver from x-ray processes back in the 70s warned me that introducing moisture in such a situation could have disastrous results. Can you please comment? Thanks.

Dawnsdad said:
GSP, I just got your book is (turns out I already had it, oh well) and quickly scanned through it today. One question, on page 91, 9C says to remove the hot crucible from the furnace and fill it with damp silver crystal. I am new to all of this, but an old friend who recovered silver from x-ray processes back in the 70s warned me that introducing moisture in such a situation could have disastrous results. Can you please comment? Thanks.
I'm not Chris, but I may be able to cast a little light on this one.
While water and hot crucibles are not generally compatible, because the damp silver is open in structure, what little steam that may develop is readily discharged from the crucible. There is no risk of a steam explosion, if that is your concern. I would not recommend damp silver be added to a molten mass, however.

While I never melted wet crystals, I commonly wetted the surface of cement silver when it was introduced to the furnace. I never started with a hot crucible, however. I'd fill the crucible to near the top, and tamp well, to compact the silver, then use a wash bottle to dampen the surface, compacting yet again. My purpose was to limit dusting of the fine silver particles. It appeared to be a viable way to keep all the silver in the furnace, and caused no problems.

On that note, when melting cement silver, flux should not be added with the silver. It should be well heated and have melted considerably before adding any borax. That way, contaminants will have had the opportunity to oxidize, and none of the fine silver particles will be bound in the flux after melting. Mixing them before melting offers the risk of a percentage of the silver suspended in the flux, in particular if the flux is quite viscous.

I'm sure Chris will lend his thoughts to this matter. He may have had good reasons for making the suggestion he did. He has a serious amount of experience with silver.

Harold

ie4nak8er said:
after the process how do i get the gold out of the sulfiuric acid? :?:
Blink! Blink!

What gold? What sulfuric acid?

If you hope to learn something, please ask your question(s) in a meaningful way. No one in their right mind is willing to provide answers to questions that are ambiguous. Provide enough information that the reader has no questions about what you seek to learn.
Please understand that I *think* I know what you are asking. But what if it is not?

Harold

Harold_V said:
Dawnsdad said:
I'm not Chris, but I may be able to cast a little light on this one.
While water and hot crucibles are not generally compatible, because the damp silver is open in structure, what little steam that may develop is readily discharged from the crucible. There is no risk of a steam explosion, if that is your concern. I would not recommend damp silver be added to a molten mass, however.

While I never melted wet crystals, I commonly wetted the surface of cement silver when it was introduced to the furnace. I never started with a hot crucible, however. I'd fill the crucible to near the top, and tamp well, to compact the silver, then use a wash bottle to dampen the surface, compacting yet again. My purpose was to limit dusting of the fine silver particles. It appeared to be a viable way to keep all the silver in the furnace, and caused no problems.

On that note, when melting cement silver, flux should not be added with the silver. It should be well heated and have melted considerably before adding any borax. That way, contaminants will have had the opportunity to oxidize, and none of the fine silver particles will be bound in the flux after melting. Mixing them before melting offers the risk of a percentage of the silver suspended in the flux, in particular if the flux is quite viscous.

I'm sure Chris will lend his thoughts to this matter. He may have had good reasons for making the suggestion he did. He has a serious amount of experience with silver.

Harold

Here's exactly what I wrote in the book, except for the underline. It didn't paste too well:
9 - To produce pure bars for sale to a broker:
A - Prepare a cast iron mold by applying a layer of carbon with an acetylene torch. Use acetylene only - no oxygen or air.
B - Pre-heat a crucible until red hot. Use a crucible that has only been used to melt pure silver.
C - Remove the crucible from the furnace and fill it with
the damp silver crystal. Put the crucible back into the furnace and heat until the silver is molten. At this point, if desired, remove the crucible, allow the melt to solidify and add more crystal.

I actually covered all the bases but I didn't explain it too well.

(B) I pre-heat the crucible red-hot and then (C) add some damp crystal. When molten, I go to the next step (D). However, if I want to add more damp crystal, I remove the crucible, wait until the melt has entirely solidified (most important thing!!), and then add the crystal.

If you follow that procedure to the T you'll never have an explosion.

What I should have added was this. These are The Rules and they must be followed, to stay safe.

(1) Never add wet or damp material to a cold crucible. The crucible can absorb a little moisture and then it might crack when heated.

(2) Never Never Never even think about adding wet (even slightly damp) material to anything that is molten, whether slag or metal!!! If you do, steam will instantly be generated and this pressure buildup will likely throw very hot metal and/or slag up out of the crucible. Don't ask me how I know this.

Most refiners I have worked with do this sort of thing as a matter of course. It saves the time and effort needed to pre-dry it. They wrap up their rinsed, still damp, gold powder lightly in the filter paper, to make sort of a patty, and put the paper and all into a full-hot crucible - little Chilean niter and the carbon is gone. The method is great for sludges, if you don't try to do too much at one time.

(2) Never Never Never even think about adding wet (even slightly damp) material to anything that is molten, whether slag or metal!!! If you do, steam will instantly be generated and this pressure buildup will likely throw very hot metal and/or slag up out of the crucible. Don't ask me how I know this.

Chris I know and if anyone spends time on the furnaces I'm sure they do too.
May I add to this warning to NEVER add cold metals especially bars to molten metals and I'll finish with your quote, don't ask me how I know this :cry:

nickvc said:
May I add to this warning to NEVER add cold metals especially bars to molten metals
Absolutely true!
Might not hurt for readers to understand why.

The products of combustion in a fired furnace yields water (as vapor). A cold bar condenses traces of moisture from the exhaust stream. That's true up to the point where the bar is heated hot enough to prevent condensation. The trace of water that gathers on the surface of the bar, when plunged in to the molten mass, instantly flashes to steam--expanding something like 1.300 times its volume. It's called a steam explosion.

Simply preheating the charge before placing it in the crucible of molten metal will eliminate the risk. The discharge stream itself can be used, as the condensate will be obvious as it forms, and just as obvious when it evaporates.

Harold

Hello Folks, and Hello Chris,

I got the information, thank you. And I have to also mention...
Excellent Work! This instrument has answered so many questions.
Many thanks again Chris.

Happy New Year Everyone...

[ evL ]

was wondering.....
why is this post in the middle of this topic ??
am a little confused.

http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=5810&start=60#p137857

just ordered your book through paypal, but it didn't give me a chance to give you my name I use on this site, my paypal account is different. if you need that info still please email me and i'll respond asap!!

Cant wait to get it!

I am glad to see this bumped.

This book is an excellent example of information that simply isn't easy to find. I literally know more than a dozen refiners who started in the refining business knowing less than what is contained in this book. Let me rephrase that....much less than what is contained in this book.

If you have no chemical training and have come here with the intention of refining as a business, read and understand Hoke, get GSP's book, and use the search function on this forum and you will have a base of knowledge that will serve you well in years to come.

I might add this was an unsolicited plug for Chris's book, in fact I only know Chris from this forum. Unfortunately I have yet to have the pleasure of crossing paths with him.

Back