Copper sulphate cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin we all gave in, electrolytic refining calls for high grade input or you get major problems with the electrolyte very quickly. Certain things you can cheat but this you can't as far as I can find out the rules of chemistry and physics seem to apply strictly here.

GSP
The thiourea and bone glue are grain refiners and they produce a smoother cathode deposit.

I wonder if it would work more or less if one only would add bone glue, since thiourea is a somewhat bad stuff. Or are there any substitutes for thiourea, which are better suited for the hobby refiner...respectively the school teacher?

Does anybody know, how grain refiners work? Maybe it would be possible to point other candidates, if we knew, how it works...

nickvc said:
Kevin we all gave in, electrolytic refining calls for high grade input or you get major problems with the electrolyte very quickly. Certain things you can cheat but this you can't as far as I can find out the rules of chemistry and physics seem to apply strictly here.

Hello everyone . Happy New year. I conducted and will conduct experiments with a cell , where the electrolyte is ammonium thiocyanate or potassium thiocyanate (sodium) . The anode of gold on copper and its alloys ( iron-free ) . Gold is partly in solution , partly sits on the cathode (steel or titanium) . The system works , but you need to find the current density and the ratio of the areas of the cathode and anode , than actually doing lately before winter . In my laboratory, no heating unfortunately, so expect heat. :oops:

PS.In electrolyte for safety kaltsionirovannuyu add soda, making alkaline environment. Ready to answer questions that have answers.

Stardust,

Please advise more detail on your method on recovery of mentioned, did it work?

Regards,
Kj

Back