Beginners mistakes

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you recover any of that dissolved gold yet?
Did you determine which method was better?
well I cemented most what I had with zinc haven't drained any fluid off to see the powders left got some cementing with Copper and air bubbler, im out of nitric acid, don't know the best way to refine what I have, I do have about a gall9n and a half of sulphuric acid, about a gallon of hydrochloric acid and I do have about half a pound of sodium nitrate, some of the gold dissolved in the one I had going for a long time with hydrochloric acid and 34% peroxide, also have some dissolved in vinegar and strong peroxide that I dont know how to precipitate any thing dissolved in vinegar and peroxide.i do have a forge and some crucibles, but wondering how to get the gold in the peroxide hcl too.some gold foil came off but some dissolved:-(

well I cemented most what I had with zinc haven't drained any fluid off to see the powders left got some cementing with Copper and air bubbler, im out of nitric acid, don't know the best way to refine what I have, I do have about a gall9n and a half of sulphuric acid, about a gallon of hydrochloric acid and I do have about half a pound of sodium nitrate, some of the gold dissolved in the one I had going for a long time with hydrochloric acid and 34% peroxide, also have some dissolved in vinegar and strong peroxide that I dont know how to precipitate any thing dissolved in vinegar and peroxide.i do have a forge and some crucibles, but wondering how to get the gold in the peroxide hcl too.some gold foil came off but some dissolved:-(
The reason we use air bubbler in stead of Peroxide is that it won't dissolve the Gold.
As long as it is acidic it should precipitate with SMB.
A forge is the whole factory/business a furnace are used to melt/smelt.

Do you have stannous chloride?

I am terrified just reading this post.
Moses: The First Commandment is STOP what you are doing and read and study.
Commandments 2-10. See Commandment #1.
He has been told that numerous times. Should he drop off the radar for several days, I might call a former neighbor who works for EMS where he claims to live, just to see if he made any reports.

Time for more coffee.

He has been told that numerous times. Should he drop off the radar for several days, I might call a former neighbor who works for EMS where he claims to live, just to see if he made any reports.

Time for more coffee.
Now that might draw some environmental attention to a certain possibly polluting hazardous location ;)
We might still get an answer on that safe workspace and waste treatment yet. (y)
Anyway it's NIMBY.

Why are you using Zinc not Copper??
Likely because he has been watching youtube videos & as we know youtube videos are FULL of incomplete information - mis-information & even wrong information

So then it did not help when you posted this ----
Zinc brings all down.
Iron, Copper and the PMs.

That is why we use Copper to cement out the Gold.
Put your stuff away a safe place and continue your studies.

When you feel ready to continue present your plan and we will help adjust if necessary.

Edit to fix language setting.
Per the bold print - in as much as that was not wrong information - it was incomplete info - I say incomplete info because his head is already full of bad info from watching youtube videos - so when you posted that "simple" answer it only confirmed the bad info he got from watching youtube & that is because more then likely youtube nor you &/or anyone here "has yet" explained to him FULLY how the reactive series for cementing metals actually works

So - when you posted that - you should have provided a FULL explanation of how & why the reactive series works so that he would have a COMPLETE understanding of the results when cementing with zinc from solutions containing multiple dissolved metals

And right now I don't have time to post that FULL explanation - so maybe you can take the time to FULLY explain it

And by the way - zinc will not cement iron as actual iron

Kurt

Likely because he has been watching youtube videos & as we know youtube videos are FULL of incomplete information - mis-information & even wrong information

Per the bold print - in as much as that was not wrong information - it was incomplete info - I say incomplete info because his head is already full of bad info from watching youtube videos - so when you posted that "simple" answer it only confirmed the bad info he got from watching youtube & that is because more then likely youtube nor you &/or anyone here "has yet" explained to him FULLY how the reactive series for cementing metals actually works

So - when you posted that - you should have provided a FULL explanation of how & why the reactive series works so that he would have a COMPLETE understanding of the results when cementing with zinc from solutions containing multiple dissolved metals

And right now I don't have time to post that FULL explanation - so maybe you can take the time to FULLY explain it

Kurt
No time today, at least not yet.

You do not make much sense here.
Explain your understanding on neutralization please.

Urea has been used in the past, not because it was the best option not even a good option, but mostly because it was the option they had available.
Today Urea has its best use as a fertilizer.
You will not obtain Potassium Nitrate from Urea and Nitric.
You will get Urea Nitrate witch is not a compound we want to have with our valuable Gold.

Edit to add:
Have you read Hokes book?
An ancient method of refining - clay, reed, broken brick, camel urine -this is how refined gold was refined by ancient Egyptian priestsfrom the temple of Amun .
Have you read Hokes book? -no - I haven't read it - but I can handle chemistry.
jurek

Hi
Urine - for cleaning metals after cupellation -obtaining ammonia-
and ammonia and a lot can be done .
ammonia in the recovery of copper ore and copper scrap./ not only/
jurek

You do not make much sense here.
Explain your understanding on neutralization please.

Urea has been used in the past, not because it was the best option not even a good option, but mostly because it was the option they had available.
Today Urea has its best use as a fertilizer.
You will not obtain Potassium Nitrate from Urea and Nitric.
You will get Urea Nitrate witch is not a compound we want to have with our valuable Gold.

Edit to add:
Have you read Hokes book?
Hi
If I pour urea on the ash, I will get it KNO3 - simple method-
jurek

Hi
If I pour urea on the ash, I will get it KNO3 - simple method-
jurek
We were not talking about producing or acquiring Nitrates, we were discussing the deNOx process of AR.
In which Urea was used in the old days, but we have better solutions to that issue today.
So in modern refining there is really no use for Urea.

Hi
Urine - for cleaning metals after cupellation -obtaining ammonia-
and ammonia and a lot can be done .
ammonia in the recovery of copper ore and copper scrap./ not only/
jurek
Much easier to buy your Ammonia, it is easily accessible and better than producing it yourself.
Edited for spelling

Last edited:
An ancient method of refining - clay, reed, broken brick, camel urine -this is how refined gold was refined by ancient Egyptian priestsfrom the temple of Amun .
Have you read Hokes book? -no - I haven't read it - but I can handle chemistry.
jurek
I recommend you read it, it is very good in respect to the chemistry regarding Precious metals.
It was written for the jewelers to ease their treatment of their scrap.

Kurt
I really appreciate you guys being patient taking time to help me and you are exactly right about youtube I'm guilty lol but I did watch one last night where Ole Sreetips was giving a talk on the reactivity series of metals and yes I unfortunately learned the hard way with zinc now realize should have used copper it's a mistake I won't be making again.Im saving all my toxic stuff the vinegar peroxide will go down the drain though.

I really appreciate you guys being patient taking time to help me and you are exactly right about youtube I'm guilty lol but I did watch one last night where Ole Sreetips was giving a talk on the reactivity series of metals and yes I unfortunately learned the hard way with zinc now realize should have used copper it's a mistake I won't be making again.Im saving all my toxic stuff the vinegar peroxide will go down the drain though.
Noo!
Nothing go down the drain!!!!!
Treat it according to the thread dealing with waste that I gave you.

Back