Beginners mistakes

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For now put in few healthy chunks of copper and set it aside. Any dissolved gold will cement out on that copper. After few days, weeks, filter out solution and test it with stannous to be sure there is no gold in solution - there should not be any but testing does not hurt. Keep all that undissolved crap and powder in some container to be processed properly later.

We asked you to put things aside and study did we not?
Vinegar is not a ting to use in refining, even at 34% it will hardly touch anything and even less so Gold.
So the Gold will be there until your studies are done.
Do not throw anything away.
this is just some of what I have I tried several things to get the gold off to see which way was better, im just trying to get it all figured out.

I threw some zinc into what I thought was a waste solution but could have had precious metals in solution still here's a picture of what cemented out.thanks for any feedback Moses

Attachments

• 17124329148392640243072558564359.jpg
    17124329148392640243072558564359.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I had a lot of stuff bubbling in this bucket of hcl and 34% hydrogen peroxide does this solution appear to contain any gold? thanks for any advice I started this before I really understood what I was doing and still am just learning my many mistakes lol Moses

Attachments

• 1712433476390956850791520069992.jpg
    1712433476390956850791520069992.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I had a lot of stuff bubbling in this bucket of hcl and 34% hydrogen peroxide does this solution appear to contain any gold? thanks for any advice I started this before I really understood what I was doing and still am just learning my many mistakes lol Moses
The stannous test say??

Yeah. Lost a long reply by merging all that together. Short version:
@Moses, you can get good guidance if you have the right attitude.
A couple of new threads a day is not.

I have not seen safe workspace, practices or any of that yet.

If you would have asked first, or if you would have read dealing with waste, you would not have used zinc, but copper.

You need to STOP. Start reading, take notes, study hoke and ask if you don't understand, then present a plan to us before you do anything!!!

Start with reading dealing with waste.

If you would have asked first, or if you would have read dealing with waste, you would not have used zinc, but copper.

You need to STOP. Start reading, take notes, study hoke and ask if you don't understand, then present a plan to us before you do anything!!!

Sorry about that :cry:

Learning by doing is a dangerous strategy in recovering PMs. This chemistry is complex and there are no shortcuts.
Make a stannous test as advised by @Yggdrasil . That is the best and the correct recomenndation.
Put that bucket away for some time and start all over with a small amount after your read yourself into some of the wonderful step-by-step tutoruals you can read for free in this wonderful forum. You may discuss a strategy, write it down, get the proper chemicals and equipment first and then things will work out.
If you need cash fast (we all want it), sell the scrap as it is. Normal e-waste prices are around 30%-50% of what a "normal" refiner may get out of them. So for you as beginner that would be the best deal.

The way you approach things here makes me worried, that you may put yourself, your loved ones and your neighbors in danger, without even hitting the jackpot in the end.
Re-start small and study the procedures first, get the right equipment first, for the next time.
Just my 2 cents....

Moses
Man with respect
You have lot good advices.

The way You are doing the process
is very wrong and You can get hurt pretty bad if You continue.

When the members of this forum advice You to stop any process until You learn and understand what Are You doing.

Please listen to them and stop every process
and be willing to Study and learn it the right way.
C.M Hoke books is free here in the forum.

I would have used copper but someone here said to cement with zinc sorry im just trying to do the best I can with what I know and have, I have been reading a lot though, what I haven't read in C.M Hokes book yet is how to deal with acid bleach after dissolving a bunch of metals in it, or how to deal with the hcl 34% peroxide that I think has gold in the solution, same thing with the vinegar 34% peroxide bucket that I tried, I experimented with several ways to see if I liked one better. Definitely more of a challenge than I expected.

I would have used copper but someone here said to cement with zinc sorry im just trying to do the best I can with what I know and have, I have been reading a lot though, what I haven't read in C.M Hokes book yet is how to deal with acid bleach after dissolving a bunch of metals in it, or how to deal with the hcl 34% peroxide that I think has gold in the solution, same thing with the vinegar 34% peroxide bucket that I tried, I experimented with several ways to see if I liked one better. Definitely more of a challenge than I expected.
Again in Chemistry upper and lower case has significance.
HCl is the correct writing
Upper case for the first letter and lower case if there is a second letter.

I stay away from using vinegar.
HCl and Bleach works well for me.
I think there is a dealing with your waste section in the library and maybe read up on “when and doubt cement it out” article is always good read,
Patience and studying while your reading , depopulate your ewaste and collect your materials .

Good luck stay safe.

Edited for grammar mistakes

Last edited:
You said you have 100 gallons of waste with possible values in it?

You said you have 100 gallons of waste with possible values in it?
WOW! I haven’t had 100 gallons total waste in the last 8 years. I would need to check but I am thinking about maybe 25 in the past 5 years.

WOW! I haven’t had 100 gallons total waste in the last 8 years. I would need to check but I am thinking about maybe 25 in the past 5 years.
That also had me worried... how on earth can anyone make 100 gallons of waste before asking for help. With his level of understanding. And this is in the states!! Not somewhere in Asia.

Back