Very interesting Gold stripper...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9kuuby9

hello guys; I have stumbled upon this!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sxJwJz-6cg[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EaKWIzW3Zs[/youtube]

Additional information; http://uwin-nano.com/en/product.php?cat=4&sm=2
http://www.greentaiwan.tw/en_US/product/info.html?id=64478165B858681162F4C6A71D08A94D

A company located in Taiwan who has a secret formula?; which is apparently not dangerous to come in touch with...

they also sell solutions which strip; Au, Ag, Pd, Sn and Ni. they apparently don't use AR or Cyanide or sulfuric acid!?

Does anyone have the slightest idea what they might be using?

This has been around since September 2011.

9kuuby9 said:
hello guys; I have stumbled upon this!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sxJwJz-6cg[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EaKWIzW3Zs[/youtube]

Additional information; http://uwin-nano.com/en/product.php?cat=4&sm=2
http://www.greentaiwan.tw/en_US/product/info.html?id=64478165B858681162F4C6A71D08A94D

A company located in Taiwan who has a secret formula?; which is apparently not dangerous to come in touch with...

they also sell solutions which strip; Au, Ag, Pd, Sn and Ni. they apparently don't use AR or Cyanide or sulfuric acid!?

Does anyone have the slightest idea what they might be using?

This has been around since September 2011.

I have no idea what it is , but I am interested if this could cut out AR and other dangerous stuff it would be interesting to look in to the PH of the liquid is 7.4 slightly higher then water ( 7 ph ) The PH of pool water is 7.4 due to the chlorine. I hope some member here can help

scm

just because some one pokes HIS fingers in some proprietary solution without it taking the skin off doesnt mean that its harmless.if i could become a millionaire by exposing my hand to a dangerous chemical a couple of times to make a video, thats the price you pay to be wealthy.

Geo said:
just because some one pokes HIS fingers in some proprietary solution without it taking the skin off doesnt mean that its harmless.if i could become a millionaire by exposing my hand to a dangerous chemical a couple of times to make a video, thats the price you pay to be wealthy.

you might be right Geo; I've noticed orange nitric splashes on his fingers?

He might be using a very dilute yet dangerous chemical.

Novel Technologies has filed patents in Taiwan, China and the US, a google guru would have no problem ferreting out the formula for UW-700 Gold Stripper.

They claim their UW-860 model is "(World's only) UW-860 Gold (Au) stripper (Non Aqua Regia, Cyanide free). This to me seems like a blatant lie. Also, I didn't read far enough into it to discern the differences between the UW-860 model and the UW-700 model. It would appear to be a spin off from the Shor Simplicity system WITHOUT the semi permeable cell. All they showed was a beaker with a red wire connected to a black clip, a liquid inside the beaker, and gold apparently disappearing from a circuit board. They didn't show the gold being deposited anywhere. Normal protocol in the electronics industry would be a black wire connected to a black clip. Red wires usually denote a positive volage in DC circuits and should have been connected to a red clip. Black clips usually have black wires connected to them and are the negative terminal. Look at the battery clips and battery connection wires on your car. In the Shor system, the electrolyte is ammonium chloride and salt dissolved in water. I also didn't see a price on any of this.

Since the gold was stripped from the circuit board foils, it had to go somewhere. Either into solution or deposited on the negative terminal (cathode). The cell in the Shor system keeps the gold from redepositing itself on the cathode. In the UW-700, if the gold was stripped from the anode and redeposited on the cathode, what have you accomplished? The gold is still plated onto a piece of metal where it will have to removed AGAIN. You just changed the base metal from a copper substrate to what appears to be a lead cathode. AP will remove the copper substrate and the gold plating will fall off. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong. The last thing I want to do is pass on bad information. Maybe looks are deceiving in this instance.

One last thought. Every reverse electroplating cell I've ever seen needs the gold to be clean. The printed circuit boards in the video had NO components, and NO solder on them. How many of us deal with circuit boards which are THAT clean?

In the kitchen with children playing in the background, electrolysis with some compound (gases form with most all electrolytes even if it is just saltwater, no real information in the video, but total disregard for safety, I did not learn a thing, and only seen someone who needs to study more on the safety issues of recovery.

Kind of sounds like Shore selling saltwater as a magic potion to recover gold, just the saltwater has some fancy name to disguise it, and of course you can only buy it from them it would not cost too much for this propitiatory chemical, and they have a phone number when everything goes wrong...

bswartzwelder said:
They claim their UW-860 model is "(World's only) UW-860 Gold (Au) stripper (Non Aqua Regia, Cyanide free). This to me seems like a blatant lie. Also, I didn't read far enough into it to discern the differences between the UW-860 model and the UW-700 model. It would appear to be a spin off from the Shor Simplicity system WITHOUT the semi permeable cell. All they showed was a beaker with a red wire connected to a black clip, a liquid inside the beaker, and gold apparently disappearing from a circuit board. They didn't show the gold being deposited anywhere. Normal protocol in the electronics industry would be a black wire connected to a black clip. Red wires usually denote a positive volage in DC circuits and should have been connected to a red clip. Black clips usually have black wires connected to them and are the negative terminal. Look at the battery clips and battery connection wires on your car. In the Shor system, the electrolyte is ammonium chloride and salt dissolved in water. I also didn't see a price on any of this.

Since the gold was stripped from the circuit board foils, it had to go somewhere. Either into solution or deposited on the negative terminal (cathode). The cell in the Shor system keeps the gold from redepositing itself on the cathode. In the UW-700, if the gold was stripped from the anode and redeposited on the cathode, what have you accomplished? The gold is still plated onto a piece of metal where it will have to removed AGAIN. You just changed the base metal from a copper substrate to what appears to be a lead cathode. AP will remove the copper substrate and the gold plating will fall off. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong. The last thing I want to do is pass on bad information. Maybe looks are deceiving in this instance.

One last thought. Every reverse electroplating cell I've ever seen needs the gold to be clean. The printed circuit boards in the video had NO components, and NO solder on them. How many of us deal with circuit boards which are THAT clean?

I am not so sure the gold would necessarily be plated onto the cathode. If you read the article I posted on the thread regarding the Shor System (Chemical Processes) entitled "Electrolytic Precipitation of Gold" from the 1890's, you will see they were able to deposit gold from a chlorine solution at the cathode and the particles of gold merely fell to the bottom of the cell.

As can be seen in the second video, the gold is not in solution, as it is all caught in the filter cloth while the electrolyte ends up below.

at 1:30 you see the second clip beeing deposited on the table while he remove the gold plated strip ... it is some kind of leach by electrolisys ... no use for escrap in the real world... but i still wonder what it is

Could be just salt water. Without a membrane between the anode and cathode, this cell would be making a mixture of sodium hypochlorite/hypochlorous acid or, if the temperature got above 50° Celsius, a mixture of sodium chlorate/chloric acid. Either one, with the presence of sodium chloride, might be able to put gold into solution and deposit it in the vicinity of the cathode.

Here is something that was designed in Brazil by a company by the name of CETEM. It was part of a program to help artisanal miners in Third World countries to reduce their dependency on mercury for recovering fine gold. I have tried everything short of a private detective to get any more information on this process than what is seen on the two pages below. Outside of the basic design and a Brazilian patent (in Portugese, no less), CETEM does not appear to have pursued this idea.

I do know that DC current applied via a cathode and an anode to a cell full of salt water will, below 50° Celsius, produce sodium hypochlorite (NaClO) bleach (Clorox) and, between 50-70° Celsius, sodium chlorate (NaClO3). The diagram shows chlorine gas (Cl2) being produced at the anode and, while this is technically true, it exists only momentarily as chlorine gas prior to becoming sodium hypochlorite or chlorate.

Also, the solution must be agitated and in this case a set of paddles turned by a motor are shown. A revolving drum would be even better but the logistics of connecting an anode and cathode to a revolving drum are somewhat intimidating.

slide-49-1024.jpg

slide-48-1024.jpg

As some of you will likely point out, unless the gold is somewhat attached to the cathode, there is nothing to stop the precipitated gold from rejoining the ore below the cathode. Some way of isolating the cathode (bag? porous cup?) would be necessary to make this a success.

Oh, and the anode. From what I've been able to research, anything less than a titanium or platinum anode will get eaten up fairly quickly.

I would think a titanium or platinum anode of the size needed for this device could be relatively expensive. I would guess much more than the cost of mercury. If the miners were smart, they could make a condenser and reuse the mercury rather than letting it boil off into the atmosphere poisoning everything it comes in contact with. From the directions, it say it uses 170 kwh of electricity per ton of ore. I would hope the ore is a very high grade to offset these costs.

bswartzwelder said:
I would think a titanium or platinum anode of the size needed for this device could be relatively expensive. I would guess much more than the cost of mercury. If the miners were smart, they could make a condenser and reuse the mercury rather than letting it boil off into the atmosphere poisoning everything it comes in contact with. From the directions, it say it uses 170 kwh of electricity per ton of ore. I would hope the ore is a very high grade to offset these costs.

Read it again. It says 170 kwh per kilogram of Au (gold). At 2.2 lbs. per kilogram and 12 Troy ounces per pound, 2.2 x 12 = 26.4 Troy oz. At $1223/ounce, this is $22,287.20. We pay $.08/ kwh here. $.08 x 170 = $13.60. Cost effective, I should think.

Here is a link to an Ebay page for a titanium bar. Not that expensive at $25.00. If one was only processing concentrate, this would be more than adequate.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Titanium-plate-Ti-6-4-TITANIUM-93-VANADIUM-4-650-gr-/281124886644?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4174595874

actually, the anode and cathode can be graphite. the oxidizing agent is the sodium hypoclorite - chlorate. as it is electrolysis, the water gets broken down into hydrogen+oxygen while the sodium chloride is decomposed. this is basically the same as HCl/Cl. the problem with this is, it will dissolve almost all the metal present. to get a good clean solution, you would need to remove as many different metal as possible first. in the case of Heap Leaching, the solution is treated with electrolysis and then sprayed onto the heap and then collected and pumped into a collector (electrowinning).

Geo said:
actually, the anode and cathode can be graphite. the oxidizing agent is the sodium hypoclorite - chlorate. as it is electrolysis, the water gets broken down into hydrogen+oxygen while the sodium chloride is decomposed. this is basically the same as HCl/Cl. the problem with this is, it will dissolve almost all the metal present. to get a good clean solution, you would need to remove as many different metal as possible first. in the case of Heap Leaching, the solution is treated with electrolysis and then sprayed onto the heap and then collected and pumped into a collector (electrowinning).

While this may be similar in some fashions to the HCl/Cl process, there is a great difference in that the solution does not go acidic and very likely is slightly basic. If base metals are in the form of oxides, as they often are in ore (black sands), the bond between oxygen and base metal will not be broken in a solution of neutral pH.

Geo said:

Your right on Geo' I have used the salt water cell because it dissolves all the metal(even platinum). You do have the problem of having to selectively get all the metals out,On a small scale i have found that it only works good if you keep no more than 2 ounces of scrap to about 1/2 gallon of salt water. I have found the salt water solution needs to be a saturated as possible. I would not use sea salt,the other elements can cause havoc in dropping some of the metals, depending on your scrap,of course. I used a flower pot for a membrane. if your going to try this,I would reccomend getting rid of as much base metals beforehand as possible with a clean method like HCL and hydrogen peroxide pretreatment. the good thing is salt is cheap.. Lots of good EDM graphite electrode material on ebay cheap!

pgms4me said:
Geo said:

Your right on Geo' I have used the salt water cell because it dissolves all the metal(even platinum). You do have the problem of having to selectively get all the metals out,On a small scale i have found that it only works good if you keep no more than 2 ounces of scrap to about 1/2 gallon of salt water. I have found the salt water solution needs to be a saturated as possible. I would not use sea salt,the other elements can cause havoc in dropping some of the metals, depending on your scrap,of course. I used a flower pot for a membrane. if your going to try this,I would reccomend getting rid of as much base metals beforehand as possible with a clean method like HCL and hydrogen peroxide pretreatment. the good thing is salt is cheap.. Lots of good EDM graphite electrode material on ebay cheap!

Interesting. Will it break the bonds of the oxides in black sand (magnetite, haematite) and put the iron into solution?

Traveller11 said:
Read it again. It says 170 kwh per kilogram of Au (gold). At 2.2 lbs. per kilogram and 12 Troy ounces per pound, 2.2 x 12 = 26.4 Troy oz. At $1223/ounce, this is $22,287.20. We pay $.08/ kwh here. $.08 x 170 = $13.60. Cost effective, I should think.
There's a little problem with your math.

You made mention of 2.2 lbs/kilogram. You also said that there's 12 troy ounces per pound, which is true if you're discussing a troy pound, but we aren't.

Lets talk grains.

An avoirdupois pound contains 7,000 grains, with the AV ounce containing 437.5 grains. A troy pound contains 5,760 grains, with the troy ounce containing 480 grains, so while an AV ounce is smaller than a troy ounce, the troy pound is, likewise, smaller than the AV pound.

Assuming the 2.2 kg translates to troy ounces, you'd have 32.08 troy ounces, not 26.4. Quite a difference.

Harold

The following is my personal view and opinion, and not to be regarded as a hard fact. In my view the video about the UW700 Gold stripping process is simply a blatant fake, produced by at least two persons, working it out. To underline my view, I took some shots of the Video and attach them here as a pdf-file.

Regards, freechemist

Attachments

• Very interesting Gold stripper.pdf
    159.7 KB · Views: 326
Back