Palladium in various states of process

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Irons said:
It's good to have different options to do the same process depending on what you have available or is easy and inexpensive to get. Many of us live in the boonies where chemical supply houses are few and far between and shipping and HAZMAT charges can really cut into profit.
I'm sure we've confused a lot of people with all of the different variations and the techniques to adapt chemicals becomes more of an art form than cookbook chemistry.

That's why i love this guy. :wink:

Question :?:

Now i understand about ions + and - . And most of the other good stuff involved. Sometimes i just can't see the obvious.

Someone please break down for me the how's and why's of what happens in the reaction. In other words what make the acid attack the metals and exactly does the roles of oxidizers and other forms of chemicals play in it.
I understand the swapping of electrons because oxygen needs 8 electrons and blah, blah, blah. but for some reason i can't just quiet picture it all.
Is it the chemical energy that is held by the electrons of the acid that react with the lower density electrons of the metal to reduce it to ions.

I have been bouncing from chemistry to physics and all over the place lately. Some things even escape the cat. :shock:

Ralph said:
Is it the chemical energy that is held by the electrons of the acid that react with the lower density electrons of the metal to reduce it to ions.

Reactions are driven by several factors including:

• Temperature
  • pH (H+ concentrations)
  • Light (photons)
  • Electronegativity (atomic charge)
  • Catalytic activity
  • Population (species concentrations)
  • Solubility
  • Pressure

I'm sure I missed some and welcome some of the other chemical guys to chime in.

In a nutshell the conditions of the reaction are what drives any reaction.

The insoluble gold becomes soluble when it combines with another species like chlorine.

Combination is catalyzed by chlorine oxidizing the gold to become positively charged (+1 and +3 states) and the negatively charged chlorine attaches to the positively charged gold (opposites attract). This process repeats three times for each atom of gold.

Once combined the newly formed auric chloride (AuCl3), which is now neutrally charged with full electron orbitals, is soluble in the aqueous acid medium.

Various literature state some reactions for gold as :

Au_Reactions.jpg

And the reduction of gold by FeSO4 (copperas) as:

FeSo4 * 7H2O + AuCl3 = Fe2(SO4)3 +FeCl3 + Au + 7H2O

via SO2:

3SO2 + 2AuCl3 + 3H2O = 3SO3 + 6HCl + 2Au

via SMB in water:

Na2SO3 + H2O = 2NaHSO3

3NaHSO3 + 2AuCl3 + 3H2O = 3NaHSO4 + 6 HCl + 2Au

Sodium Meta Bisulfite becomes Sodium Meta Bisulfate (this is why bisulfate won't precipitate gold)

via Hydrazine:

3N2H4 + 4AuCl3 = 12HCl + 3N2 + 4Au

New: Via Oxalic Acid:
3H2C2O4 + 2AuCl3 = 6HCl + 2Au + 6CO2

etc.

I hope answer clears up your question.

Steve

For what we're doing, it's all an electrons game. We're just pushing them from one nucleus to another. What we're concerned with are the valence electrons.

PM me aflac! I'd like to hear what's on your mind and have a try at answering some of your questions.

I think light (or any irradiation/energy input--even ultra sound) falls under catalyst :wink: Though that's mainly in organic where you have to worry about radicalization, but there are some things in inorganic that are light dependent... BUT the big one you forgot is equilibrium of the reaction!

I suppose surface area is an obvious one to include with population, since they are hand in hand.

Anyway, nice reactions...saves me the bothersome minute it takes to balance!! Thank you, Steve! Most of them seem like straightforward redox. But looking at the equations will give you many questions to think about if you've not had some chemistry courses...

Take what Steve said about gold III chloride, it's happy with those three chlorines around it, so why does it want to go react with HCl to make chloroauric acid? Why does it suck up moisture to the extent of it being hygroscopic. After all, doesn't it seem counterintuitive and against the common-ion effect? Shouldn't gold chloride be not so soluble in HCl like silver chloride (a population/equilibrium problem here). So why does HCl protonate the gold salt and make a very soluble compound, a weak acid but not do the same to silver? Why are some things soluble and others not a gram in thousands of gallons?

Remember, any aqueous AuCl3 you have isn't quite AuCl3

It's not just an electron thing anymore. It then becomes more physical and there are physical propensities that each compound has. To me, a lot of chemistry is intuitive: if this is this, and this happens like that, well then shucks, this sure as hell better mean that this would act like this. <-- I can see where you get confused :shock: ) Still, there's an exception to every rule. But that's the fun of it :) :wink:

Sometimes I still want to :roll: when I think about it all.

If Mrs. Hoke uses the HCl/NH3 procedure
as purification method for Pd, then (a guess),
then undissolved particles by exess ammonia
are not Pd, but a contaminant, e.g. Ni
and should be discarded?
Lino1406

Reprocessed for potentail contained values would be a far better idea. If nothing else, I'd place such residues in the stock pot, where they'd be reduced to the elements and recovered (and purified) another day. It's not good practice to discard anything that isn't well known to be valueless. Good chance the remains would contain platinum, or other platinum group metals.

Harold

Combination is catalyzed by chlorine oxidizing the gold ( by oxidizing the gold you mean the chlorine excepted or stripped electrons from the gold ) Or is this promoted thru the use of an oxidizer. Or is the chlorine acting as the oxidizer. See this is where i get lost.to become positively charged (+1 and +3 states) and the negatively charged chlorine attaches to the positively charged gold (opposites attract). This process repeats three times for each atom of gold.

Once combined the newly formed auric chloride (AuCl3), which is now neutrally charged with full electron orbitals, is soluble in the aqueous acid medium.

Hello everyone,
I am going to ask a question and I'm not going to say it is a stupid one because as you guys say there is only one stupid question, the one not asked.
I was wondering if Muriatic Acid dissolves gold and if it could what are the conditions that would need to be met to do so?
I am specifically referring to pins in a crockpot. I experimented with one pound of descent pins. It got to where it was hotter than I actually wanted it to be. I tested the solution with stannous chloride. It showed no color but I do not really trust my detection solution. As of now I do not have any gold in solution to test against.
I am stuggling to get get a handle on all these processes and since I have no chemistry background at all, not even the prehistoric schools I attended I am in doubt about a lot. Although, I have absorbed a great amount of Knowledge this forum, I am lurking around religiously.
I have become totally committed, I have bought chemicals galore including my 70% nitric acid and every time I turn around I read here of another must have. I am enjoying even this part. I have bought or found a large amount of computer parts (the good stuff). I have karat gold, sterling jewelry and coins. Of course now I am PM rich (lol) and dollar poor so I am putting spending on hold for a while and try to get some results. I did not let it sink in soon enough that I should have CM Hoke's book at my side at all times, now it is going to have to wait for a while.
Well, I hope I have not bored everyone with my rambles and I also hope that it was alright to post this here. I saw a lot of talk about chemical reaction and it reminded me of my question.
That is all. Thank you for your time.
ED

If you have used HCl exclusively, and have not added any nitrates, you are safe to assume that no gold is in solution. Please consider that, even if some had been dissolved by some means, as long as there's any base metal present, it will have precipitated on the base metal as a dark colored mud, often not resembling gold in the least. From this you can conclude that it's wise to discard only known substances when you process the material coming from the material you process.

One of the procedures for washing precipitated gold revolves around boiling the finely divided particles in HCl-----which can be safely accomplished using any level of concentration one desires, along with any amount of tap water. I used that procedure routinely for years with no negative consequences.

You can safely assume that you have not dissolved any of your gold, but DO NOT DISCARD ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE MADE A RELIABLE TEST. That should include making a standard solution. Remeber, some gold will lurk in the fine mud that you find----it, too, should be processed.

Do yourself a favor. Buy Hoke's book, which will detail methods to make all of the solutions that would prove useful for you as a refiner. Operating without being able to test with certainty is akin to driving with a blindfold. Don't do it.

Remember-----if you work without a known test, you have no idea what to save and what to discard. You'll quickly find yourself up to your hips in solutions and have no clue what to do with them. Testing by Hoke's suggested methods is 100% safe and sure.

You might be better off to explore stripping clean pins instead of processing with HCl, or even investigate using nitric instead. Both methods are likely better suited to such material.

BUY THE BOOK.

Good luck,

Harold

Thanks Harold,I appreciate your input greatly You are right about being up to the hips with solutions as I have been doing a lot of experiments lately. Most of it is has had steel aluminum or zinc added to drop out the copper chloride and then neutralized with baking soda. I was wondering if I could some way refine it over again just to see if I could get different results as I am sure there is some PMs there.
Thanks
ED

hungry said:
I was wondering if I could some way refine it over again just to see if I could get different results as I am sure there is some PMs there.
Hey Ed,

Well, there's certainly not much standing in your way, and it could prove to be a valuable learning tool to refine the wastes, but I think I'd give the idea some careful thought before jumping in with both feet.

What you've done up to this point is lower the value of the materials, assuming you've extracted any of the gold. Traces now may be worth far less than the value of the time and acid, but perhaps that's what you're trying to determine.

If I was to pursue this adventure, I'd approach it from the standpoint of refining the spoils from the stock pot. What you've done is put back in the elemental state, any metals that were present. You have also contaminated the material with substances that can be troublesome when you attempt to process chemically. It would be in your best interest to eliminate them, so you are sure that when you apply acid again, that the base metals alone go into solution. I'd start with several hot water rinses, to eliminate any chemical compounds that would be soluble, then I'd incinerate, heating each lot to a dull redness, which would eliminate carbonaceous materials.

I'd then take a small sample and digest it with a few drops of water and nitric acid. Don't use any more acid than necessary to dissolve anything that's willing. When fuming stops, if the addition of a drop or two more acid makes no difference, it's work is done. The entire lot should then be taken up with water, allowed to settle, then decanted. Your target would be the remaining, undigested material. That would then be dissolved with very small amount of AR, then the solution tested, possibly after evaporating to limit free nitric acid. That often interferes with the tests you must perform. Hoke's book discusses evaporation

By running a tiny sample, if there are no values to recover, you won't have wasted a lot of time and acid.

I'd suggest testing the nitric solution for silver before discarding. If it's green, test for gold as well. If it's a distinct blue color, almost no chance it would have any values.

One thing to consider. Once you've converted values to tiny particles, they often will be suspended in solution as tiny specs, usually black, or very dark brownish/purple color. Allow your solutioins to settle once digested, and look for a black or dark covering of material on the bottom. It may well be mixed with various white substances, depending on the nature of the material you've processed.

You could also reduce the material in a furnace, fluxing properly. You'd still face the same problem of re-dissolving an amount of metal that may well not have any value at all, however, and furnace reduction tends to be quite hard on crucibles and the furnace lining due to the aggressive nature of the required flux. It's a good method, but costly-----best reserved to high grade wastes if possible.

If each of your questionable samples started with a slight amount of material, so even if you had 100% recovery, you wouldn't get much gold, I'm of the opinion you'd be better off to simply discard the questionable material and chock up the experience to learning. Avoid recovering base metals along with traces of values from future lots by testing properly before hand, then discard things as quickly as possible. Our memories have a way of making us think garbage may well be worth saving, and it's usually wrong. When you come back to a solution, you'll always question your previous decision------and it will drive you nuts. If you test with fresh or proven test solution, and the solution in question is barren, it's time to get rid of it. You'll get more comfortable with this as you progress, gaining the necessary confidence not only in the testing solution, but your own judgment. I fully understand your reluctance to do so at this point.

I mentioned buying the book. It will teach you what to look for regards the platinum group, plus how to properly test. It's the cheapest and best advice you can get from any source. I've mentioned time and again, I am nothing more than a high school graduate that took no chemistry classes------but I learned to refine, and ran a (very successful) commercial refining business for a little more than 20 years, all with knowledge I gleaned from Hoke's book. It's good-----very good------and written so the common man can make sense of everything mentioned.

Keep us all posted.

Harold

Hello Steve,
Maybe the following reaction is
also of interest:

Au(+1) + ascorbic acid = Au(0) + dehydroascorbic acid

Lino1406
(N.B. ascorbic acid is called also: Vitamin C)

Here's a cheap source of Manganese Dioxide to make Chlorine gas as per Lou's suggestion.

Buy some Carbon zinc D batteries and take them apart. They contain Zinc metal (good), Ammonium Chloride as the electrolyte (good) and the black material that fills the battery is powdered Manganese Dioxide (good) and you have a useful Carbon rod for experiments.

Cut open the Zinc outer container and mix the Manganese Dioxide depolarizer with water to extract the Ammoniun Chloride.
The steel outer case goes into the stock pot.

It's all good, Baby!

Everything but the squeal.

Lino said:
If Mrs. Hoke uses the HCl/NH3 procedure
as purification method for Pd, then (a guess),
then undissolved particles by exess ammonia
are not Pd, but a contaminant, e.g. Ni
and should be discarded?

According to Hoke, as Harold pointed out, the Higher PGMs will remain as a colored powder.

Most all of the base metal amines are soluble in the NH4OH solution and will remain dissolved (like dissolves like). You may recall the test for Nickel in solution involves basification with NH4OH followed by DMG addition to form the pink Nickel precipitate of DMG. So it follows that Nickel amines are soluble in NH4OH until the DMG is added.

Steve

Thanks Steve,
You opened my eyes.
I give here a more exact
equation for gold reduction
by ascorbic acid:

2Au(+1) + C6H6O4(OH)2 = 2Au(0) + C6H6O6 + 2H(+1)

Lino1406

Lino,

I see two possible minor drawbacks to using Asorbic acid to precipitate gold as you have demonstrated:

1. Cost
  2. The indication in your reaction equation that it reduces Au +1

How much does Asorbic cost vs. other precipitants per gram? If you have plenty on hand already this is not an issue.

The second point above may be of more concern. Is asorbic acid equally effective at reducing Au +3 such as found in AuCl3 ? If so what is the molar ratio required to reduce a single mole of AuCl3?

Steve

Since I get my ascorbic acid (or VitaminC)
from pharmacy expiries the cost is not an
issue. The molar ratio is Gold:Ascorbic=2:1
And one doesn't need heating as against
oxalic acid. For Au(+3) I use copperas/bisulphite,
so one still has the chance to be pioneer on that,
my guess, it will work since Au(+1) and Au(+3)
have very near redox potentials. The expected
molar ratio is G:A=2:3
Lino1406

I had forgot about this thread. Thanks Steve.

Attachments

• catx.jpg
    catx.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 2,027
On page 106 of the Hoke book
she says when you add ammonium chloride to the palladium chloride
Nothing happens
I know that she is doing this to make a point
But why does Harold do the same thing and Steve

What you are missing is that this is the first step of precipitating the palladium from the solution.

The next step is to add small crystals of sodium chlorate to the hot solution and stir. The palladium ammonium chloride precipitates if the solution if of the right concentration, temperature, and enough ammonium chloride is present in the solution.

Steve

I tried Irons idea to simply add sodium hypochlorite 5% (bleach) to the ammonium chloride, HCl, and palladium solution. It worked like a charm. Looks promising for eliminating the the sodium chlorate as a precipitation reagent with Pd salts and complexes. There is still a very fine balance of ammoinum chloride and chlorine required.

Hi Steve!
Can you be a bit more clear.
Thanks

Back