Insoluble in residual acid, shiny powder rock sediment reacts with boiling water.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miad

Hello
I want your help
I have this shiny green stone
I ate it first, then put it in hydrochloric acid for a day, then nothing happened to the stone
I added nitric acid to it
A shiny silver powder remained from the stone, I smoothed the powder
I washed with clean water
I wanted to remove the water from the powder and steam it on high heat
To my surprise, I saw that the reaction of bursting gas bubbles with high pressure started to be thrown. I posted the video for you to watch
I gave up and dried the powder in the sun. It is very colorful and shiny
What do you think this might be worth?
I tried to melt a little of the powder with a homemade torch
But only a little bit of the top layer is a little thin.
Maybe I will take it for XRF testing.
IMG_20240106_192231.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240106_192255.jpg
    IMG_20240106_192255.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240106_192245.jpg
    IMG_20240106_192245.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231229_182012.jpg
    IMG_20231229_182012.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240102_144655.jpg
    IMG_20240102_144655.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • VID_20240105_105104.mp4
    14.3 MB
  • IMG_20240106_192313.jpg
    IMG_20240106_192313.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240107_133617.jpg
    IMG_20240107_133617.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240107_133602.jpg
    IMG_20240107_133602.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240107_134609.jpg
    IMG_20240107_134609.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Hello
I want your help
I ate it first, then put it in hydrochloric acid for a day, then nothing happened to the stone
To my surprise, I saw that the reaction of bursting gas bubbles with high pressure started to be thrown. I posted the video for you to watch
View attachment 60990
Welcome to us.

Any rock you have is only a rock until you have it assayed.
And adding acids to unknown rocks is downright dangerous,
you have no idea what it might contain of nasty stuff like Arsenic, Cadmium or Mercury.

To me it looks partly like some kind of Mica, pictures is not a good way of identifying minerals.
Most Oxides co not dissolve in any of the acids we use.

I suggest you stow away your acids and rocks in a safe place until you have studied more.
And gotten an assay.

Here is for your studies.

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/

Hello
I want your help
View attachment 60990
Just a little extra information.
XRF is not for minerals and rocks, unless it is a full library version and properly calibrated and operated.
It will still under these circumstances not be very precise.
Assays is what counts and if you suspect PGMs, NiS assays will give the only precise correct results.

Just a little extra information.
XRF is not for minerals and rocks, unless it is a full library version and properly calibrated and operated.
It will still under these circumstances not be very precise.
Assays is what counts and if you suspect PGMs, NiS assays will give the only precise correct results.
I asked somewhere, and they claimed that their device recognizes Mendeleev's table from numbers 13 to 92
Something that was strange for me with the Stanos test
Tin chloride
When I take it, the acid solution becomes completely clear
Then it turns milky and the shiny stars inside become more visible

More interesting than that is the reaction to hot water, it creates a high-pressure gas bubble

I asked somewhere, and they claimed that their device recognizes Mendeleev's table from numbers 13 to 92
Something that was strange for me with the Stanos test
Tin chloride
When I take it, the acid solution becomes completely clear
Then it turns milky and the shiny stars inside become more visible
Theoretical and practical application is not always the same.
Even if the machine is capable of recognizing a certain range, unless it has the correct library installed and is properly calibrated the machine may not be able to distinguish the different spectrograms of the different materials.
Add to that that it has to be operated by a skilled operator to give correct readings.

Regarding the Stannous test, how do you perform it?

More interesting than that is the reaction to hot water, it creates a high-pressure gas bubble
That is probably due to bursting gas inside some crystal lattice.
When the gas is heated it cracks the crystal and releases into the liquid.
Unless you have an assay we can't say.

Theoretical and practical application is not always the same.
Even if the machine is capable of recognizing a certain range, unless it has the correct library installed and is properly calibrated the machine may not be able to distinguish the different spectrograms of the different materials.
Add to that that it has to be operated by a skilled operator to give correct readings.

Regarding the Stannous test, how do you perform it?
I make a small amount of stannous chloride with distilled water and hydrochloric acid.
I pour a little acid solution in a transparent plastic cup and pour a few drops of the test into it. this is

I make a small amount of stannous chloride with distilled water and hydrochloric acid.
I pour a little acid solution in a transparent plastic cup and pour a few drops of the test into it. this is

That is not how you make stannous chloride - that is doing nothing more the diluting your HCl (hydrochloric acid)

Stannous chloride is made by dissolving tin in HCl (hydrochloric acid)

Kurt

then put it in hydrochloric acid for a day, then nothing happened to the stone

Why are you doing this with this rock ?

Do you have reason to think there are metals of value (gold/silver etc.) in this rock ?

If so what makes you think that ?

Kurt

I don't have access to pure tin, it is electronic solder board tin that has impurities like copper.
This formula is taught on the internet where I am. They say that if you add a little tin metal to tin chloride by dissolving hydrochloric acid and a little distilled water, it will last longer.
It is not obligatory ؟؟؟
That is not how you make stannous chloride - that is doing nothing more the diluting your HCl (hydrochloric acid)

Stannous chloride is made by dissolving tin in HCl (hydrochloric acid)

Kurt

Why are you doing this with this rock ?

Do you have reason to think there are metals of value (gold/silver etc.) in this rock ?

If so what makes you think that ?

Kurt
The texture has an interesting effect
I will try my luck, maybe there are precious metals in this stone

I don't have access to pure tin, it is electronic solder board tin that has impurities like copper.
This formula is taught on the internet where I am. They say that if you add a little tin metal to tin chloride by dissolving hydrochloric acid and a little distilled water, it will last longer.
It is not obligatory ؟؟؟
The Tin do not have to be pure, even Pewter will do.
Just dissolve some Tin solder in HCl and use that.
But if you have Tin Chloride powder it will work as well but are much more expensive.

How do you use it?
Paper, cotton buds or spot plate?

The texture has an interesting effect
I will try my luck, maybe there are precious metals in this stone
Just trying random rocks will get you injured or killed in the end.
You will have to have some qualified assumption and then it is best to have it tested some how first.

Now then - lets get down to what you actually have there

What you have is a rock in the serpentine group of minerals

Serpentine group minerals are primarily composed of magnesium & asbestos

So I hope you are waring a good tight fitting dust mask when you crush this rock because if you breath in those VERY FINE asbestos dust particles they WILL get stuck in your lungs for the rest of your life causing a condition known as asbestosis one of the leading causes of lung cancer - which you won't even realize until some years from now - meaning your life will go on - but - your life span is now likely been shortened
A shiny silver powder remained from the stone,

This is likely those asbestos fibers/crystals left over after the acid dissolved the magnesium away - they have a silver look to them because of the way the light reflects back off the crystal structure of the asbestos fibers

So what you have done is concentrate the asbestos after dissolving the magnesium away - the acid does not dissolve the asbestos

There are NO precious metals in your serpentine rocks but there is most certainly asbestos in those rocks--- STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING !!!! --- you are putting you health AT RISK doing what you are doing - not only in the exposure to the asbestos - but also in the TOXIC waste (acids) you are creating trying to dissolve rocks that have NO precious metals in them !!!

Kurt

Back