Satellite TV Receivers

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. The best ones are the DVR recievers they have a 500 gig sata drive in them.
Mark

You can actually get more money selling the receiver online, like ebay, if they are hd dvr receivers. I have sold several for about 50-75 dollars each.

The receivers I have opened have been made very cheap. Only thing I could find that could be gold where the antenna connector and the microchip on the card. The SCART/HDMI/RCA and card reader where all silver colored contacts. The chips where all cheap looking plastic. Didn't even have an aluminum heatsink.

I opened a dish network Model:deo4 yesterday and found pretty much all junk. The most impressive thing on it was the copper cord. One microscopic heat sink.

Attachments

• dish network.jpg
    dish network.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 951
Red marked - places where gold might be
Yellow marked - copper

*biggest red circle (oval) center bottom should be yellow

Attachments

• dish network1.jpg
    dish network1.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 949
patnor1011 said:
Yellow marked - copper

There is some small amounts of copper but not really worth the time. Maybe just pop the copper components off and sell them as copper bearing material. where is the gold inside the chips? did not see any gold colored connection points on the board except for a very small section where the card reader inserts.

pimpneightez said:
patnor1011 said:
Yellow marked - copper

There is some small amounts of copper but not really worth the time. Maybe just pop the copper components off and sell them as copper bearing material. where is the gold inside the chips? did not see any gold colored connection points on the board except for a very small section where the card reader inserts.

hey patner I just got about twenty of these boards. seems like it was a junction box or switch box for a communications hub. I would say late 70's era. I cut the gold fingers off and found a stash of what I think is gold plated brass connectors. that one silver component has gold plated button under it. I havent gotten around to taking any of the components off. the other silver box looks like copper winding but has a danger under high pressure stamped on it. Is there anything else that would contain anything good? I took the pins to a pawn shop because I could swear they were gold. the pawn guy looked at it and even he thought it was 24k because it was so deep gold looking.Test came out negative for gold though.

Attachments

• hub.jpg
    hub.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 928
pimpneightez said:
pimpneightez said:
patnor1011 said:
Yellow marked - copper

hey patner I just got about twenty of these boards. seems like it was a junction box or switch box for a communications hub. I would say late 70's era. I cut the gold fingers off and found a stash of what I think is gold plated brass connectors. that one silver component has gold plated button under it. I havent gotten around to taking any of the components off. the other silver box looks like copper winding but has a danger under high pressure stamped on it. Is there anything else that would contain anything good? I took the pins to a pawn shop because I could swear they were gold. the pawn guy looked at it and even he thought it was 24k because it was so deep gold looking.Test came out negative for gold though.

Attachments

• golg.jpg
    golg.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 927
pimpneightez said:
patnor1011 said:
Yellow marked - copper

Unless you have X-ray vision, you WON"T see gold - they are inside the chips. Especially the large, flat square one with the gold corner - that is a BGA (Ball Grid Array) type processor. Look up green fiber processors using the search function.

The 2 socket connections, the SCSI & the USB connectors, have gold plated wires/pins. The other chips need to be broken open & viewed under magnification.

You were only partly accurate re: the card reader - the pins that makes contact with the sim card must be gold plated, and always is.

And please - do some research here before going too much further - go to lazersteve's signature line & follow the guided tour links. Oh yeah, the 2 links in patnor's signature line would be good, as well.

good luck!

608rogerm said:
You're wasting your time with boards like this in home refining. I'm getting $5 per lb for my high grade (like these) at the refinery. Look inside the signal receiver on the roof. :roll:

High grade boards like what? The boards from receivers like the one pictured?

Claudie said:
608rogerm said:
You're wasting your time with boards like this in home refining. I'm getting $5 per lb for my high grade (like these) at the refinery. Look inside the signal receiver on the roof. :roll:

High grade boards like what? The boards from receivers like the one pictured?

Thats what they are known as on Ebay.

Jim

Boards in the first two pictures. Please accept my apologies if I sounded rude,as I was in a hurry that day.This is a truly wonderful website. At the refinery,or e-bay,high grade is considered any green coated board(not brown)with exposed gold. And there are several different category's of these.(I think I'm sorting around 15 different category's) If you happen to find an old Direct TV or Dish Network(they are all different,high grade boards to worthless) satellite dish taken off the roof(usually considered scrap metal),open up the aluminum box that the coax cable is hooked up to.You'll need Torx bits.

Attachments

• 103_0450.JPG
    103_0450.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 643
Based on the grading curve at boardsort.com the above picture of the sat. board is considered High Grade Telecom.

However, for what it is worth:

I learned real quick that in this industry the term "high grade board" means about as much to me as "high speed internet", as there is no official standard. Turns out more often than not high grade ends up being simple motherboard.

I guess when you put that motherboard grade next to a brown board or even a mid-grade green board with lots-o-steel and capacitors, it would correctly appear to be a higher grade, but honestly, motherboard is still only a few ladder steps up from the bottom. There are plenty of grades higher than that.

With that being said, our company has a more stringent definition of the term high grade. To meet the high grade standard the board has to have more than just "exposed gold" going for it. There are many variables and considerations that must be made, most of which are beyond the scope of this thread.

In summary, all that glitters is not always high grade.

(disclaimer: This is my company's policy mixed with my own humble opinion. Other policies and opinions WILL differ.)

[edit: disclaimer and reference to above image]

Chris,

I have a bunch of electronic scrap that I plan to disassemble and remove boards. The scrap ranges from phones to toys to old boom boxes to satelite dish receivers and all kinds of other crazy stuff. If I wanted to send the boards to you how would your company go about determining their values? By your site I understand that part of the process is sending in pictures. But with such a broad range of boards I'm guessing in my case the pictures would be more for a ball park figure.

Thanks

GC

Pictures are helpful for sure. I can tell you that most often boom boxes, stereos, toys and most appliances only contain low or mid grade boards.

You are welcome to send any boards for us to grade, but keep this is mind: If the boards are found to be lowgrade , or midgrade, you will more than likely lose money as they often cost more to ship than we pay, and of course I will not be able to return the material if you are not happy with our determination or rates, so I ask you to exercise fiscal caution when using this method.

FWIW
If you take high res photos, front & back, with your boards laid out and a complete description, Chris can usually give you a fairly accurate quote.

I photo at 8 meg, which blows up well with good clarity. I do not recommend sending boards to anyone, without a quote first. For example - My shipping costs, including the PayPal fee, off the top of my head, ends up being about $0.82/lb. Unless I know payout is higher than that, of course, I lose money.

Back