pH of the Silver nitrate solution for cementing with copper.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Imo, you just wasting the acid by neutralizing it when you can get precious nitrate if you just pour copper till you free of acid and can get nitrate.

Imo, you just wasting the acid by neutralizing it when you can get precious nitrate if you just pour copper till you free of acid and can get nitrate.
I guess he is doing tests to get familiar with the reactions.

Never ran across the zinc method. Any details for it.
Sure. Silver Chloride in your glass jar with weak warm Sulphuric. Add a small amount of Zinc powder and stir. Use your common sense and don't over add it and convert. It's instant. Once it's all converted and hopefully with very little excess you can clean with HCl as required.

If I get chance I'll do a taster video.

I have dissolved some pure silver using nitric acid, I started of with a solution(approx 5ml) of nitric acid and distilled water with a pH of 1, after dissolving some silver approx(1.25-1.5g) with some silver still at the bottom the pH has dropped to close to 5.
I was wondering what should be the pH of the solution before I start cementing the silver using copper.
it is enough to have a small piece of silver.
control sample.
after dissolving the main material, throw it away.
if it does not dissolve, you can throw copper...
:)

Back