Nitric acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dervishh

I'm new to posting on literally anything on the internet,
(I prefer just reading) but, I haven't seen anyone reference a place to aquire nitric acid, or if a diy is feasible. Have I just missed the mark on the whole subject, or is there a secret conspiracy in the world of big Gold Refining?

Because of the potential misuse by terrorists or freedom fighters (depends from which side you're looking) most countries ban precursors of explosives for private use.
Sometimes Nirtic is sold as +\-30% nitrogen fertilizer in liquid form, (not liquid nitrogen) with or without possible addittions.
You can make poor mans nitric if you just want to use it for AR or base metal dissolving, but if you need it for Silver refining, you may have to destill it further to purify.
Some countries do allow selling small amounts if you give a copy of your ID and state what you are using it for. It may also require a business permit to buy.

Look up nurdrage on you tube to see how nitric can produced and destilled.

Here is a link to actual nitric page for buying nitric from DudaDiesel

Opps - I removed link as it did not work (blocked as "dangerous link")

It's not cheap - not sure if their listed price includes shipping - or if the listed price is for the acid PLUS shipping
Because of the potential misuse by terrorists or freedom fighters (depends from which side you're looking) most countries ban precursors of explosives for private use.
Here in the U.S. some companies still sell direct to private citizens (mail order)

DudaDiesel is one such company - it's just expensive due to the high hazmat fees/charges for shipping

Kurt

Last edited:
Here is a link to actual nitric page for buying nitric from DudaDiesel

Opps - I removed link as it did not work (blocked as "dangerous link")

It's not cheap - not sure if their listed price includes shipping - or if the listed price is for the acid PLUS shipping

Here in the U.S. some companies still sell direct to private citizens (mail order)

DudaDiesel is one such company - it's just expensive due to the high hazmat fees/charges for shipping

Kurt
The USA doesn't have as much of an issue with selling nitric, because at least our government is juuuuust smart enough to realize that even with nitric, people would have to know the chemistry to then manufacture explosives from it... and manage to not poison/blow themselves up in the process.

There are THOUSANDS of other, safer chemicals that just need to be bought and mixed to make booms. and will not boom until heated sufficiently or given a serious pressure wave. Such as the stuff involved in the PEPCON disaster. Totally safe and stable until it hit a certain temp and mixed with molten plastic.

I'm new to posting on literally anything on the internet,
(I prefer just reading) but, I haven't seen anyone reference a place to aquire nitric acid, or if a diy is feasible. Have I just missed the mark on the whole subject, or is there a secret conspiracy in the world of big Gold Refining?
Try www.xelexo.net (a forum advertiser) great prices on nitric and all other refining chemicals. Free shipping.

I recently purchased four 2.5 liter bottles of nitric acid that someone listed here on the forum. It turns out that I lived within 5 miles of them. Amazing. Anyway I got a super deal on the acid, 5 gallons of HCL, and other goodies.

The nitric acid included a copy of the invoice from Duda Diesel. The four bottles were around $200 but the shipping was only $27.00. They were all purchased within the last two years.

I looked at their website recently and it looks like they still charge very little for shipping. I don't see how they can do it.

I recently purchased four 2.5 liter bottles of nitric acid that someone listed here on the forum. It turns out that I lived within 5 miles of them. Amazing. Anyway I got a super deal on the acid, 5 gallons of HCL, and other goodies.

The nitric acid included a copy of the invoice from Duda Diesel. The four bottles were around $200 but the shipping was only $27.00. They were all purchased within the last two years.

I looked at their website recently and it looks like they still charge very little for shipping. I don't see how they can do it.
Why did you have it shipped if you were 5 miles away? Lol

Duda Diesel is in Decatur. I usually just drive over when in the area and pick it up. Saves shipping and hazmat fees that way. If you only need a tiny bit, no idea other than make it yourself. All kinds of instructions can be found on the forum that work well.

replying to dervishh:

No, I did NOT have it shipped, of course I went and picked it up.
It DID have an invoice in with the acid bottles where someone else had purchased it from Duda Diesel.

Is there any possibility to buy nitric in the US in bulk ? Just a question, as I live in EU and those prices do quite a headache to me :)

Because, yes, here you can also buy for example HCL in garden store or something like that, that cost 5 euros/L. But then you can buy tech grade HCL from chemical company in 25L or 50L canisters for like 0,7eur/L. Same with nitric. Tech grade nitric is mostly 50-53%, and is sold by kg - kg now, after price ramping due to inflation cost like 1euro.

It is very dificult to obtain nitric here as regular person, without license and VAT impossible (also sulfuric acid, hydrogen peroxide - of any strength). But when you overcome this bureaucratic hassle, it is relatively cheap. If you go ahead and buy like 55 gallon drum of nitric, it is even cheaper - going as far as 50-70cents/kg.

Just thinking if some collective purchase could be made on your side in the US, eg buying 55 galon drum and then partition it between members. This could save you some serious money. Same with HCL :)

Because nitric is manufactured in huge ammounts for fertilizer industry. Really huge. And I do not think it is much more expensive to make it in the US, than here. All in all, quite a bit of these chemicals are manufactured in China and shipped, so same on both sides with price. At least, factory price should be comparable here and in the US.

When I was full time refining I got my 67-68% nitric in 15 gallon (60 liter) SS drums for (about) $2 per liter

52-53% nitric in 55 gallon SS drums for (about) 75 cents per liter

There was a $150 deposit on the 15 gallon drum & $250 deposit on the 55 gallon drum

deposit was returned when the drum(s) were returned

Kurt

Where were you getting it from ?
Thanks
From a lager industrial chem supplier that was about 25 miles from where I lived - they do not do mail order

Being only 25 miles away I was able to go pick it up so did not have to pay hazmat fee

At one time I looked into making nitric available to GRF members (because I got it so cheap)

turned out to be a BIG hassle - bunch of hoops/paper work to get properly permitted/licensed - inspection & hazmat fees for the place you are shipping from - special packaging requirements - hazmat fees you have to pay the shipper (FedEx, UPS etc.) & the actual shipping cost

All of that is why the cost of "mail order" nitric is so high & why I backed out of the idea of trying to sell to GRF members - sending nitric through the mail is VERY expensive

Kurt

Also buying in BULK makes a BIG difference - if I bought nitric in 2.5 liter bottles (instead of drums) it was about $16 a liter ($40 per bottle) - even if I was picking it up at the supply company

Kurt

From a lager industrial chem supplier that was about 25 miles from where I lived - they do not do mail order

Being only 25 miles away I was able to go pick it up so did not have to pay hazmat fee

At one time I looked into making nitric available to GRF members (because I got it so cheap)

turned out to be a BIG hassle - bunch of hoops/paper work to get properly permitted/licensed - inspection & hazmat fees for the place you are shipping from - special packaging requirements - hazmat fees you have to pay the shipper (FedEx, UPS etc.) & the actual shipping cost

All of that is why the cost of "mail order" nitric is so high & why I backed out of the idea of trying to sell to GRF members - sending nitric through the mail is VERY expensive

Kurt
Thanks for the reply. Have a great day.

Back