Iridium coated titanium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ery

Hi members, can you kindly guide me how to extract iridium coated from titanium mesh. My reading from xrf is as attached photo Tq

Attachments

• eb7cd8a9-1c30-4131-8f6b-79316a4d16f5.jpeg
    eb7cd8a9-1c30-4131-8f6b-79316a4d16f5.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi members, can you kindly guide me how to extract iridium coated from titanium mesh. My reading from xrf is as attached photo Tq
I'm not sure it will be economically viable unless you have large quantities.
But for experimenting the Titanium can be dissolved maybe.
Iridium is practically almost impossible to dissolve, even in AR.

This mesh is arround 30kg in my stock,will get another stock.. roughly 500kg to 1 ton
Hmm, dissolving the Titanium will not be an option then.
Can it be ground off or stripped off mechanically by bending?

Well i already try put some of the mesh in hydrochloric acid, the titanium had been dissolved and the acid turn to pink colour, some black particles was left behind. Is it possible the black particle is iridium coating? Need your advise. Will iridium also dissolve with titanium together with the acid?

Last edited:
It is impossible to strip off the coating. It like anodizing paint at aluminium material
Anodizing on Aluminum is in the Oxide layer, it is not a paint.
The black particles may be Ir yes.
And Ir do hardly dissolve in boiling AR so no it will not dissolve in HCl.

This is the powder that had been extracted. Need to try again to make it more pure

Attachments

• IMG_3073.jpeg
    IMG_3073.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3072.jpeg
    IMG_3072.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
Have you tried putting the gun into base metal mode and seeing the result Ery? Ive had similar results only to find out it's Aluminium. The second XRF reading with Ru on it also makes me a little skeptical but hey I hope it's real!

Its 99% titanium
Have you tried putting the gun into base metal mode and seeing the result Ery? Ive had similar results only to find out it's Aluminium. The second XRF reading with Ru on it also makes me a little skeptical but hey I hope it's real!
Not yet, but my xrf will not aluminium. It will read le. Its lower spec

Well i already try put some of the mesh in hydrochloric acid, the titanium had been dissolved and the acid turn to pink colour, some black particles was left behind. Is it possible the black particle is iridium coating? Need your advise. Will iridium also dissolve with titanium together with the acid?
that pink color is titanous chloride (dilute). Concentrated it is beautiful blue purple.

The black is iridium dioxide. These meshes are usually used in electrowinning.

I have processed many thousands of square meters of these for Ir and Ru. The powder is quite valuable!

that pink color is titanous chloride (dilute). Concentrated it is beautiful blue purple.

I have processed many thousands of square meters of these for Ir and Ru. The powder is quite valuable!
Awseome I love it when my cynicism is shown the door ! Haha

Its 99% titanium

Yes, it’s 99% titanium

Thanks for your kind guide. It is helpfull to us. In your experience how many percentage it supposed to be extract per 100kg of the meshes for Ir and Ru?

Back