drying gold mud?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taffaej

I have been able to take the AP process all the way to being able to drop my gold. I guess I missed how most of you are trying your gold. I figured that a few coffee filters would be able to suffice in collecting the gold mud, needless to say I was wrong. The mud was fine enough to actually get into the pores of the filter.

So my question is how are you guys drying this mud? As it sits now I will probably need to desolve all of this again and have another go at it. Unless someone as a better idea?

Thanks

Attachments

• 2012-04-11_16-33-09_500.jpg
    2012-04-11_16-33-09_500.jpg
    873.8 KB · Views: 151
It is advised that you shouldn't pour the mud into a filter, instead you should allow the gold to settle in the glassware in which you precipitated it, and then decant as much liquid as possible before drying by slowly heating and swirling until the gold clumps together. The swirling action helps to prevent the gold from sticking to the sides of the vessel.
With the situation you are faced with I would rinse as much as possible of the powder out of the filter paper and dry as explained above. The filter paper I would dry out naturally and incinerate. The ash can then be processed during your next refining session.

The one thing I would add is to really clean your powders well using Harold V s rinsing technique as the cleaner the powders are the easier to remove from the beaker once dry.

taffaej said:
So my question is how are you guys drying this mud? As it sits now I will probably need to desolve all of this again and have another go at it. Unless someone as a better idea?

Thanks

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=13663&p=137550&hilit=+dry+gold+beaker#p137550

Okay... well I had two beakers ready to filter and in the back of my mind I thought about heating it up. Obviously I didn't go that direction and filtered it. Good thing I only did one.

Thanks for the help, it does make a lot more sense to do what you guys have suggested now that I have actually seen your replies.

Back