What is the best crucible for induction melting PGM's?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, i am just looking to be not decieve, any mathod i can prechek graphit crucible as its actually graphite or not
Just talk to the seller and inform how will be used.
Don't buy unless you get a return deal.

Just talk to the seller and inform how will be used.
Don't buy unless you get a return deal.
Its a matter of standard of bussiness rules, here are cheapest lavels because of some worst policies, sometime if we just ask some that he have crucible, he make a condition to say yes or no, that we will must buy it, otherwise he will ask to go and find somewhere else.

Its a matter of standard of bussiness rules, here are cheapest lavels because of some worst policies, sometime if we just ask some that he have crucible, he make a condition to say yes or no, that we will must buy it, otherwise he will ask to go and find somewhere else.
Do not buy with them then.
You can always buy online.

Do Salamanders heat in Induction?
I have never used induction, so I cannot answer that question. The induction melting equipment I have seen in videos, all use Graphite. I have also seen metals melt by induction, simply by holding the metal within the coils, no crucible at all. I don't know why a simple Alumina/Silica crucible wouldn't work, unless it somehow shields the waves. Maybe the metal needs to be a certain particle size to energize/begin the reaction. In other words, I don't know.

I have never used induction, so I cannot answer that question. The induction melting equipment I have seen in videos, all use Graphite. I have also seen metals melt by induction, simply by holding the metal within the coils, no crucible at all. I don't know why a simple Alumina/Silica crucible wouldn't work, unless it somehow shields the waves. Maybe the metal needs to be a certain particle size to energize/begin the reaction. In other words, I don't know.
It is a function between size and frequency.
The smaller the particles the higher frequency is needed to create the eddy currents that heats the metal.
Solid metal blocks may suffice with low frequency like grid 50-60 Hz, powders may need as much as several hundred thousands Hz.
Or a heel added to it. A largeish button to catch the magnetic field.

In this case he is smelting ore so the Crucible need to act as a susceptor.
I'd think it would be easier (maybe even cheaper) to use a conventional furnace in stead.

Do not buy with them then.
You can always buy online.
Online is more expensive, hard to find suitable size as coil. MOQ is also rise the budget.
I think locally somwhere will have it but i have to find that person who really have graphite.
Looking for arc rod with suitable dia, and drill them via cnc.
It is a function between size and frequency.
The smaller the particles the higher frequency is needed to create the eddy currents that heats the metal.
Solid metal blocks may suffice with low frequency like grid 50-60 Hz, powders may need as much as several hundred thousands Hz.
Or a heel added to it. A largeish button to catch the magnetic field.

In this case he is smelting ore so the Crucible need to act as a susceptor.
I'd think it would be easier (maybe even cheaper) to use a conventional furnace in stead.
Well said, fir this method, Low grade ores are far no no way to go.
I have 50 hz, 200 amps . And there are many other factors that need to be watched. Water pressure , minimising heat losses. Ramming mass.....! Its a fun eith alot headach

There is always a linning wall between coil and melt . And lining is choosed on bases of your materials ph and required tamp.
less metals need more energy to produce heat, more metals, fast work.

Online is more expensive, hard to find suitable size as coil. MOQ is also rise the budget.
I think locally somwhere will have it but i have to find that person who really have graphite.
Looking for arc rod with suitable dia, and drill them via cnc.

Well said, fir this method, Low grade ores are far no no way to go.
I have 50 hz, 200 amps . And there are many other factors that need to be watched. Water pressure , minimising heat losses. Ramming mass.....! Its a fun eith alot headach
You do not have access to a conventional furnace?

You do not have access to a conventional furnace?On normal gas fired furnances, not reach required tamp.
Nirmal gas fired furnances. Not reach required tamps. Not a refactory material that withstand on required tamps. Tried to get some molybdenium/sic heating rods but too mich expensive than an induction unit of same size

Nirmal gas fired furnances. Not reach required tamps. Not a refactory material that withstand on required tamps. Tried to get some molybdenium/sic heating rods but too mich expensive than an induction unit of same size
What temperature do you need?

A few questions here.
What is the frequency range for you furnace?
What is the size of your crucibles?
Can your crucibles be too small for the available frequency range?
Its a medium frequency furnance,
Crucible size is 1 feet height 9.5 inches outer dia, 1 inch wall thickness.

Coil size is 1 feet height and 10.5 inches inner dia.

Can be modified but i do not want spent more untill i not have a graphite crucible VARIFIED source

Its a medium frequency furnance,
Crucible size is 1 feet height 9.5 inches outer dia, 1 inch wall thickness.

Coil size is 1 feet height and 10.5 inches inner dia.

Can be modified but i do not want spent more untill i not have a graphite crucible VARIFIED source
Medium frequenzy is 1kHz to 20kHz, right?
Do you have another item of Graphite to place inside to check if it works?

Medium frequenzy is 1kHz to 20kHz, right?
Do you have another item of Graphite to place inside to check if it works
I had seen few days ago an arc electrode made crucible used for producing damascus steel. They also suffer alot like me to find a source of a crucible that go red without any metal.
They told me an amount that is much much higher, for a graphite crucible. There is extra cost of lath machine to adjust the rod size

I am right now using carbon made crucible, reletively cheap , carbon that is used as coke in cupola furnance with iron to make cast iron.and problem is , it not stays longer. Only 3 melts.

Attachments

• CB6BBE96-FC70-4313-AB9F-AE9CB044FEAC.jpeg
    CB6BBE96-FC70-4313-AB9F-AE9CB044FEAC.jpeg
    718.1 KB · Views: 0
I had seen few days ago an arc electrode made crucible used for producing damascus steel. They also suffer alot like me to find a source of a crucible that go red without any metal.
They told me an amount that is much much higher, for a graphite crucible. There is extra cost of lath machine to adjust the rod size

I am right now using carbon made crucible, reletively cheap , carbon that is used as coke in cupola furnance with iron to make cast iron.and problem is , it not stays longer. Only 3 melts.
I think there are 3 types of Graphite crucibles. 1. machined from a solid block of Graphite. 2. Fine Graphite powder is homogeneously mixed with refractory clay. 3. Alumina/Silica clay, dusted with Graphite on the outside/inside.

Back