• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale Tantalum For Sale

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldRob

Supporting Member
Looking to sell some Tantalum, I spoke with E-tack a long time ago but did not go thru with the sale. The issue I was having is that I cracked open all the tantalum capacitors due to the shipping. Big mistake, I know. I haven't posted for a very long time. My first account was NIVRNB, going to sell as much of the materials I have, starting with the Tantalum. The weekends are the best time to contact me. Want to Will check my mail on the forum and respond to any and all questions via this thread. Most of the second jar cam from an IBM 360 machine. The small jar is the small yellow capacitors, (my had is still recovering : ) The weight is around 4.5 lbs, I am located on Oahu, if you are on Oahu lets meet up. Thanks for looking
20240421_081501.jpg20240421_081447.jpg20240421_081435.jpg20240421_085301.jpg20240421_090046.jpg20240421_085810.jpg

Last edited:
Looking to sell some Tantalum, I spoke with E-tack a long time ago but did not go thru with the sale. The issue I was having is that I cracked open all the tantalum capacitors due to the shipping. Big mistake, I know. I haven't posted for a very long time. My first account was NIVRNB, going to sell as much of the materials I have, starting with the Tantalum. The weekends are the best time to contact me. Want to Will check my mail on the forum and respond to any and all questions via this thread. Most of the second jar cam from an IBM 360 machine. The small jar is the small yellow capacitors, (my had is still recovering : ) The weight is around 4.5 lbs, I am located on Oahu, if you are on Oahu lets meet up. Thanks for looking
View attachment 62525View attachment 62526View attachment 62527View attachment 62528View attachment 62529View attachment 62530
https://www.tantalumrecycling.com/sell-scrap-tantalum/

Darkthirty, Thanks starting the process now to send them the photos and weight. Came out to 2730 grams or 6.03 pounds. I left the slag on the larger pieces. Not to add weight put not sure if it is silver solder. Just sent off the photos for quote.

Attachments

• Ship.jpg
    Ship.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Darkthirty, Thanks starting the process now to send them the photos and weight. Came out to 2730 grams or 6.03 pounds. I left the slag on the larger pieces. Not to add weight put not sure if it is silver solder. Just sent off the photos for quote.
Seems like they'll buy any and all. Let us know how it works out.

They asked me what I did to them. I started saving weight on shipping by using a knipper to crack open all those capacitors. Took some time, but not to long. I didn't learn about a flat rate box until I had opened them all years ago. Leaning the hard way as usual. I should have just left them in the cases. They are worth more intact I would believe. But this was a by product of e-waste I was processing. I hope they will accept them in this condition. If not I will try to find a smelter to process them for me and return 90% in bar form, if possible.

Last edited:
Water with residual nitric acid and table salt.
I make silver through chloride.
I give acid in excess.
Then I fill it with a solution of table salt.
I use this “compote” to clean it.
they can also be preserved with a solution of citric acid and salt + hydrogen peroxide 3%
acid 30 grams.
salt 5 grams
peroxide 100 ml.
Be careful, the onset of the reaction can be quite violent.

Water with residual nitric acid and table salt.
I make silver through chloride.
I give acid in excess.
Then I fill it with a solution of table salt.
I use this “compote” to clean it.
they can also be preserved with a solution of citric acid and salt + hydrogen peroxide 3%
acid 30 grams.
salt 5 grams
peroxide 100 ml.
Be careful, the onset of the reaction can be quite violent.
Anarxi,

I think I am going to try an olive jar, sand, and water. Possibly some vinegar and shake a few pieces up and see how that turns out. My real question is the small yellow capacitors that seem to have only back dust it them no real metal. I will post photos when I get off work. Magnesium I believe it is or possible tantalum powder. I am not sure at the moment. I have to research before I proceed.

Rob

This is a manganese coating.
underneath is a sintered tablet of tantalum or niobium powder.
a rod that protrudes from a single element, usually made of tantalum.
elements are anodized. (for insulation) that’s why they take on such fancy colors.

if the body and tail are the same color, then it is tantalum.
if different, then it is a tantalum-niobium capacitor.
Niobium is much cheaper than tantalum, I don’t know why this is so.
Niobium is also called columbium in the USA.

tantalum is a refractory metal.
more than 3000 degrees.
very strong and heavy.
its density is almost 2 times greater than that of niobium.

sintered tablet of tantalum
This is why I love this forum. I never knew what sintered meant. Now I know, It is not a piece of metal under those yellow capacitors, the rainbow color plugs of tantalum. It is sintered tantalum plug. I am taking it that these do not need to be washed to sell? I am sure I can find this info on the forum with a little searching. Just thinking out loud.

Back