Silver questions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well that looks like silver shot and refined crystals, a beaker of perfectly fine electrolyte and one with slightly polluted, but still useable electrolyte. the copper contamination is still within the useable range.

I also need some...😜

your 'question' is answered?

Looks like it lost all my dialog ???? How to send???
I had some silver made from silver plated items and had made them into bars. I wanted to run them through a silver cell to further refine, so I melted each bar and poured it into water. Put each bars silver in different cups. In looking over the results, See pictures, some of the silver is bright and shiny and some not so much. I thought that it might be copper in the not so shiny ones so I took a equal amount of both and dissolved them in equal amounts of nitric. Was expecting to see the blue color but it is more green? I don't want to contaminate my silver cell electrolyte so wondered what you all thought?
You said to press send to send, but I don't see a send box????? Do you mean "post reply?

I had some silver made from silver plated items and had made them into bars. I wanted to run them through a silver cell to further refine, so I melted each bar and poured it into water. Put each bars silver in different cups. In looking over the results, See pictures, some of the silver is bright and shiny and some not so much. I thought that it might be copper in the not so shiny ones so I took a equal amount of both and dissolved them in equal amounts of nitric. Was expecting to see the blue color but it is more green? I don't want to contaminate my silver cell electrolyte so wondered what you all thought?
You said to press send to send, but I don't see a send box????? Do you mean "post reply?
Yes and you have done it already several times.

Nickel gives the green color.
obviously you removed the silver plating from the nickel silver alloy.
Many people are allergic to nickel and tableware made from it is usually silvered.

Sorry that I did not know what to do. Have followed this forum for a long time, just never went on line with you.

Should I still use my silver cell to refine the silver with the nickel in it, and what will that do when I drop the silver out of the electrolyte? Also now that we are here "how do you know when to change the electrolyte"?

why not drop with copper and re-dissolve to keep your silver cell clean?
Looking at his pics, dropping with Copper would simply add Copper as an extra contaminant into the mix which doesn't appear to be there already. Ive never been a fan of increasing the contaminants to get rid of another one Nater. It's like taking one drug to counter the effects of another.

I thought that it might be copper in the not so shiny ones so I took a equal amount of both and dissolved them in equal amounts of nitric. Was expecting to see the blue color but it is more green? I don't want to contaminate my silver cell electrolyte so wondered what you all thought?
I also think it is mainly copper impurity plus some base metals. you can test it by some drops of ammonia in the dirty solution. If it turns to blue it has copper in it.
Should I still use my silver cell to refine the silver with the nickel in it, and what will that do when I drop the silver out of the electrolyte? Also now that we are here "how do you know when to change the electrolyte"?
you will have no problem with shiny silver anode in the cell but about the darker one anode, do you have any analysis of the darker melted bar?
The purer anode, the purer reduced silver on the cathode. If you don't access analyzing lab you can check the reduced silver cathode visually, as a rough rule, as far as it is shiny the electrolyte is good. But it depends to your required fineness.
High voltage selected may also reduce some other metal impurities on the cathode. So set the right voltage on the rectifier. In a standard cell, 2.5 V is ideal.

Back