Silver Chloride conversion success!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModernAlchemy

Supporting Member
So once again I attempted the Silver Chloride conversion to cement silver. This time after I rinsed the silver chloride and then added the Sodium Hydroxide and saw the particles turn black to silver oxide, I did not rinse it. I just added the corn syrup one tablespoon after another so 2 total. The mirror in the beaker came and went quickly leaving the gray cement silver. I then rinsed well with boiling water and then filtered. I'm comfortable now doing this on a small scale so I'm confident on a larger ( not too large) scale that I can do this without fail. I once again would like to thank all the gentlemen in the forum for their expert opinions and advice. I couldn't do it without you.
IMG_0676.jpeg
IMG_0675.jpegIMG_0678.jpeg

So once again I attempted the Silver Chloride conversion to cement silver. This time after I rinsed the silver chloride and then added the Sodium Hydroxide and saw the particles turn black to silver oxide, I did not rinse it. I just added the corn syrup one tablespoon after another so 2 total. The mirror in the beaker came and went quickly leaving the gray cement silver. I then rinsed well with boiling water and then filtered. I'm comfortable now doing this on a small scale so I'm confident on a larger ( not too large) scale that I can do this without fail. I once again would like to thank all the gentlemen in the forum for their expert opinions and advice. I couldn't do it without you.
View attachment 60900
View attachment 60901View attachment 60902
Excellent, we like successes:)

Basically what I’ve been doing now is first cement with copper pipe for the 1st round. Once that’s exhausted I drop HCL in the left over copper nitrate, I was surprised how much silver was still there. Finally use the lye+sugar to get the rest of the silver. I then wind up with alot of base to neutralize the copper nitrate leftovers. Win win.

how long do you let it cement out , I just pour it into another holding bucket with older copper pipe from cemetations. I need to test the CUHNO3 solutions now ( more AgCl2 for another container )

About 6 hours I let it cement out in copper until no reaction is seen happening. I’m finding even cementing with copper and leaving it over night I still can get silver chloride out of the solution with HCL.
Cementation on copper can be complete, that is for sure. You just need two things:

1. good surface area of copper - eg some copper plate is the best, or thick spirals from heavy duty breakers. Wire isn´t very good.

2. MIXING. If the solution don´t mix, still pregnant silver solution is locked up in the silver cement fallen to the bottom of the beaker/vessel. Frequent disturbance of the silver deposit and good mixing is essential to drive this to completion.
---
I never had any problems regarding completeness of cementation. Small batches (under 200 g) can be done in bigger beaker with thick magnetic stirbar on magnetic stirplate. However, more silver then cause problems as stirbar become overwhelmed and stop working. Overhead stirrer, or modified drill can serve nicely, with stirring paddle from some plastic. It is beneficial to drop heavy copper plate to the bottom and stir the solution above it with mechanical stirrer. This way, you can be done in less than one hour of operation. Some guys done the opposite - modified the cast copper heavy plate that way it can be attached to the drill, and then stirred the solution with this copper paddle :D

Altough I knew about this, I most of the times went with plastic bucket, hanging thick copper plate, glass stirrod and patience :) Stirring the deposit thoroughly every 15 or so minutes (I was doing my work alongside this in a lab), and about 5 hours later, it was done. I always tested directly the solution in the bucket with one drop of dilute NaCl solution to see if there is any silver left, when I did not see more silver cementing on the copper plate. Fish the copper out and spray some water onto it to see if something fall from it - and if the dripping water is greyish - indicating something detached from it.

About 6 hours I let it cement out in copper until no reaction is seen happening. I’m finding even cementing with copper and leaving it over night I still can get silver chloride out of the solution with HCL.
Eaxactly
For some reason the copper does not cement out all the silver in the solution.

I read that a person used the same process of adding HCL to the solution after the copper dissolved in the solution.

I was impressed by the amount of silver Chloride formed from the solution that I thought there was nothing left.

Last edited:
Eaxactly
For some reason the copper does not cement out all the silver in the solution.

I read that a person used the same process of adding HCL to the solution after the copper dissolved in the solution.

I was impressed by the amount of silver nitrate formed from the solution that I thought there was nothing left.
You need proper stirring, nothing will cement unless it comes in contact with the Copper.
If its not properly stirred, parts of the liquid will never be in contact with the Copper.

Latest posts

Back