Recover plated gold from pieces of brass

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coiote_25

Hello everybody.
I would like to get your precious help. I have the possibility of buying 1000kg of brass pieces per month made of a gold-plated brass alloy that contains 1.5g of gold for each kilo.
Any suggestions for making this separation? The alloy is composed of: 43%Cu 40%Ni 17%Zn.

I thought about dissolving the alloy in nitric acid, but that involves another 4000 liters of nitric acid to dissolve 1000 kg of the alloy, which for me is environmentally impossible.Any electroplating cells???

Any suggestions on how to remove the gold from the pieces?Thank you for your help
Regards

If gold plated, look into a sulfuric cell. The combination of metals involved may be an issue to look into as well.

1.5g of gold for each kilo.
Any suggestions for making this separation? The alloy is composed of: 43%Cu 40%Ni 17%Zn.
General rule, unless you are a known reputable refiner who see's oddball scrap routinely, this type material is only being offered to you because nobody else wants it. Unless it is small parts gold plated as Shark suggests, a complete dissolve is not practical. A sulfuric cell or a stripping route may work but it depends on the pieces.

Of course the price you have to pay for this scrap enters into the equation as well. In a perfect world, where the material actually runs the 1.5 grams per kilo and the feed is 1000 kilo's a month, it is a sizable value despite the obvious difficulties.

Do you have any photo's of the material before any processing or melting? Is it plated?

If it is plated and you get it at a good price, and you can verify the gold content, it may be worth a shot. Would they give you a 1 kg sample for you to test?

Hello everybody.
I would like to get your precious help. I have the possibility of buying 1000kg of brass pieces per month made of a gold-plated brass alloy that contains 1.5g of gold for each kilo.

I thought about dissolving the alloy in nitric acid, but that involves another 4000 liters of nitric acid to dissolve 1000 kg of the alloy, which for me is environmentally impossible.Any electroplating cells???

Any suggestions on how to remove the gold from the pieces?Thank you for your help
Regards
Depends on how much they want for it. As 4 metals said, this offer was made to you because all established buyers they have did not want the material. So either there is some culprit with it (most probable) or you have been very lucky.

Ask for representative sample of material. One or few kilograms. If they decline to give you the sample, hands off of it. Truth is, many times, guys offer some better mix as sample material and then give you bulk which is worth less. Reputable sellers and fair guys will take you to the gaylords with material and let YOU to take sample from them.

Dissolution is impractical for this material. You will need to strip it, sulfuric acid cell being best shot for somebody (I am assuming here) who probably do not have experience nor permits for cyanide.

Depende de quanto eles querem por isso. Como disseram 4 metais, esta oferta foi feita a você porque todos os compradores estabelecidos não queriam o material. Portanto, ou há algum culpado (o mais provável) ou você teve muita sorte.

Solicite uma amostra representativa do material. Um ou alguns quilos. Se eles se recusarem a lhe dar a amostra, esqueça-a. A verdade é que, muitas vezes, os caras oferecem uma mistura melhor como material de amostra e depois oferecem um volume que vale menos. Vendedores respeitáveis e caras justos levarão você aos gaylords com material e permitirão que VOCÊ tire amostras deles.

A dissolução é impraticável para este material. Você precisará retirá-lo, a célula de ácido sulfúrico é a melhor opção para alguém (estou assumindo aqui) que provavelmente não tem experiência nem permissão para cianeto.
Thank you

É claro que o preço que você tem que pagar por essa sucata também entra na equação. Num mundo perfeito, onde o material chega a 1,5 gramas por quilo e a ração é de 1000 quilos por mês, é um valor considerável apesar das dificuldades óbvias.

Você tem alguma foto do material antes de qualquer processamento ou fusão? É banhado?

Se for banhado e você conseguir por um bom preço e puder verificar o teor de ouro, pode valer a pena tentar. Eles lhe dariam uma amostra de 1 kg para você testar?
sim, eles me fornecem uma amostra para teste. Vou tentar a célula de decapagem sulfúrica
Thanks

General rule, unless you are a known reputable refiner who see's oddball scrap routinely, this type material is only being offered to you because nobody else wants it. Unless it is small parts gold plated as Shark suggests, a complete dissolve is not practical. A sulfuric cell or a stripping route may work but it depends on the pieces.
Thanks

Back