Opinions on this

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have collected silver flatware from all over the world. 900 is a common fineness mark for South American silver. Mexican silver will have a makers mark as well. Peruvian silver will just have the fineness mark. Bad silver from this region is mostly a form of German silver and stains greenish or blueish in my experience. Use this information as a general guide only since anyone with a jewelers catalog can get a 900 stamp.
Thank you very much for the education. I am most appreciative for this info and will put it to use.
This should arrive tomorrow and I'll have some results to show and see what we all think.
Thank you again my friend.
CHEERS!!

You can put a drop of bleach on any part of the silverware that you are not sure if it is silver and it will turn black in a few minutes if it is silver and if not there will be no reaction
Hello friend!
This should arrive tomorrow. I'm at the edge of my seat to get my hands on them and inspect/test.
Hopefully it is truly silver. That's my hopes anyway and I appreciate the education as always. I will do this test tomorrow as well as the silver acid, and 18k acid seems to be a great testing acid as well.
CHEERS!!

Hello All,
I am happy to report that each piece in each place tested, tested positive for 900 silver. 3 different tests and passed all the acid tests. The blades are even silver. I've not seen that before.
Thank you to everyone who educated me with information and tips. I am most grateful for everyone and appreciate all the help and knowledge.
CHEERS!!!

I have collected silver flatware from all over the world. 900 is a common fineness mark for South American silver. Mexican silver will have a makers mark as well. Peruvian silver will just have the fineness mark. Bad silver from this region is mostly a form of German silver and stains greenish or blueish in my experience. Use this information as a general guide only since anyone with a jewelers catalog can get a 900 stamp.
If I'm not mistaken, German Silver has no silver in it. It's also, called Nickel Silver [Again no silver in it] Wikipedia says "The usual formulation is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc." Most of you probably already know that, but I thought I would put in my 2 cents, as they say.

Hello all,
I made a minor purchase on this. I do find it odd that these are marked 900 in very unusual places and would like to ask, what your thoughts on it may be? Do you think it is stamped to fool someone or is this normal for "900 Coin silver" items.
As usual I appreciate everyone's education and opinion on this matter.
CHEERS!!
I believe 900 was a mark indicating that it was silverware made from silver coins that were melted down [which are 90% silver]. Sterling is of course, 92.5% silver, which is why they are often marked with a 925 indicator. I found a sterling silver spoon at a thrift store for 10 cents! Don'tcha love when that happens?

Attachments

• sterling spoon purchased at thrift store.jpg
    sterling spoon purchased at thrift store.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 0
  • wallace sterling marking on silver spoon purchase at thrift store.jpg
    wallace sterling marking on silver spoon purchase at thrift store.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 0
I believe 900 was a mark indicating that it was silverware made from silver coins that were melted down [which are 90% silver]. Sterling is of course, 92.5% silver, which is why they are often marked with a 925 indicator. I found a sterling silver spoon at a thrift store for 10 cents! Don'tcha love when that happens?
Oh yeah! I enjoy going to them too, and searching for the treasures. Good find my friend!
CHEERS!

If I'm not mistaken, German Silver has no silver in it. It's also, called Nickel Silver [Again no silver in it] Wikipedia says "The usual formulation is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc." Most of you probably already know that, but I thought I would put in my 2 cents, as they say.
Correct. I got the batch in today and luckily it tested positive with all three acids. Got really lucky.
I do appreciate the education and knowledge my friend. Thank you again.
CHEERS!!

Back