Opinions on this

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devildog

Hello all,
I made a minor purchase on this. I do find it odd that these are marked 900 in very unusual places and would like to ask, what your thoughts on it may be? Do you think it is stamped to fool someone or is this normal for "900 Coin silver" items.
As usual I appreciate everyone's education and opinion on this matter.
CHEERS!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240429_152658_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240429_152658_eBay.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240429_152702_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240429_152702_eBay.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240429_152707_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240429_152707_eBay.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240429_152714_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240429_152714_eBay.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240429_152716_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240429_152716_eBay.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240429_152726_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240429_152726_eBay.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 0
Hello all,
I made a minor purchase on this. I do find it odd that these are marked 900 in very unusual places and would like to ask, what your thoughts on it may be? Do you think it is stamped to fool someone or is this normal for "900 Coin silver" items.
CHEERS!!
Dissolve a little in Nitric and test it.

900 is an odd, but fairly common stamp on silver. I’m not sure if it is a regional thing like the 800 stamp, which is more common in Europe.

I have quite a bit of 900 silver from Europe. Most of mine predates WWII.

Time for more coffee.
You read my mind haha. That is exactly what I am doing right now. Good cup of the ol tar.
Is yours stamped like that? In such odd places?

That is unusual. Haven’t seen that in all of the flatware I’ve bought. But the blades and forks look pretty good, don’t look like stainless. Anxious to hear what you find.
That too is what kind of kicked my brain. I've not seen it either. Especially stamped in places so odd. I did close up view the one photo and it looks almost to me, although my vision is horrible right now, but to me it looked like under the 900 faded says 106. Which was odd too. But it's hard to tell in the photos.

The only thing that makes me think that this is not a hoax is the blackening in the recesses where the 900 purity is located.
however,
high-quality cupronickel also turns slightly black

The only thing that makes me think that this is not a hoax is the blackening in the recesses where the 900 purity is located.
however,
high-quality cupronickel also turns slightly black
I sure am going to cross the fingers and hope it's a legit set haha
I imagine at the very least the handles are silver considering they have cement inside of them. That's my hopes anyway but, my hopes have been busted before. Haha
CHEERS my friend and thank you!!

Yes, 900 silver is common. Enjoy your coffee. What’s unusual is that the blades and forks are possibly silver and that they are stamped in the locations they are. I’m looking at my books while I have my coffee.
I am most appreciative. Thank you so much my friend. I did get a hit of it, the 106 under the 900 on the knife blade, possibly being Russian? Dating back to 1900-1928.
With cement inside them, I'd imagine they're silver. Just to what extent is where my concentration is.
My recent studies into books remind me that a fair bit of things were made out of 900 silver/Coin Silver during the WW etc.
Maybe luck will be on my side. I do know the person who sold them to me has an amazing reputation of being a straight shooter, which I appreciate. I believe I gave $50 for this set. So if it is a loss, it won't be a dramatic one.

in the Russian Empire and the USSR there was no standard 900 for dishes.
I still think it's a silver plated milchior, the real contents are stamped on the handle of the fork and knife, on the back of the photograph...

I have collected silver flatware from all over the world. 900 is a common fineness mark for South American silver. Mexican silver will have a makers mark as well. Peruvian silver will just have the fineness mark. Bad silver from this region is mostly a form of German silver and stains greenish or blueish in my experience. Use this information as a general guide only since anyone with a jewelers catalog can get a 900 stamp.

Hello all,
CHEERS!!
You can put a drop of bleach on any part of the silverware that you are not sure if it is silver and it will turn black in a few minutes if it is silver and if not there will be no reaction

Back