Nitric acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonka

Hello I’m trying to use sodium nitrate + sulfuric acid to make 70% nitric acid. I understand the formula is a 2-1 mole = 1-2 mole nitric. But I can not get this to turn out right. If I add 1700 grams of sodium nitrate and 850 grams of sulfuric acid and 550 grams of water this should give me almost 2 liters of nitric acid but it’s not. Where I’m I going wrong here?

I just figured it out. Nevermind. Looks like I just needed to write it out to see it. I’m using way to much sulfuric.

Hello I’m trying to use sodium nitrate + sulfuric acid to make 70% nitric acid. I understand the formula is a 2-1 mole = 1-2 mole nitric. But I can not get this to turn out right. If I add 1700 grams of sodium nitrate and 850 grams of sulfuric acid this should give me 21 moles of nitric + 30% water. Where I’m I going wrong here?
Please present this in more detail as how you do it.
And of course a complete reaction also have Sodium Sulfate on in there.
You need to cool it to almost freezing to get out most of the Sulfates after the reaction.
This is one of the reasons Calcium Nitrate can be favorable since Calcium Sulfate (Gypsum) is not soluble.

Please present this in more detail as how you do it.
And of course a complete reaction also have Sodium Sulfate on in there.
You need to cool it to almost freezing to get out most of the Sulfates after the reaction.
This is one of the reasons Calcium Nitrate can be favorable since Calcium Sulfate (Gypsum) is not soluble.
I mix it all in a round bottom flask and heater and distilled it into a cold round bottom flask.

I’m just gonna go
I mix it all in a round bottom flask and heater and distilled it into a cold round bottom flask.
back to potassium nitrate. It’s much easier and produces a much more concentrated solution.

If you distill it, you need proper gear and bubble it through cold water so the gas is taken up.
Nitric decompose to gas on the hot side and has to be taken up by water again to become liquid.

Back