New Silver cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Hotel

Good morning,
I'm new to this making your own silver cell and I have recently set one up following Streetips to the letter. Now, I have a Jesverty power box - 30 volts 10 amps box. I have had the silver cell up and running now for just over a week but all I have grown is a grey type of mush that still contains some silver specs. The cell was growing quite well to start with. One of the problems is that if I set the volts to 3.6 the amps are at 0.001 or 0. I've tried to set them to where they should be and have even tried to short out negative an positive (which will give me 1.amp but the leads become extremely hot and so I disconnect them. What am I doing wrong? Is the mush in my silver cell real silver? Should I let it continue to grow but over a longer period of time?.

Thanks for any advice or help

Cameron

Attachments

• 1713488973655940006750562239342.jpg
    1713488973655940006750562239342.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 17134890595985200349188496570122.jpg
    17134890595985200349188496570122.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
1a at 3.5v will not turn any wire larger than 20gauge hot. that is only 3.5watts worth of power. and as long as your leads are, that isn't much. are you sure you have the settings correct on your power source?

your picture shows that you are flowing 10a while at 4v. why are you swet over the 3.5v threshold?

Good morning,
I'm new to this making your own silver cell and I have recently set one up following Streetips to the letter. Now, I have a Jesverty power box - 30 volts 10 amps box. I have had the silver cell up and running now for just over a week but all I have grown is a grey type of mush that still contains some silver specs. The cell was growing quite well to start with. One of the problems is that if I set the volts to 3.6 the amps are at 0.001 or 0. I've tried to set them to where they should be and have even tried to short out negative an positive (which will give me 1.amp but the leads become extremely hot and so I disconnect them. What am I doing wrong? Is the mush in my silver cell real silver? Should I let it continue to grow but over a longer period of time?.

Cameron
Welcome to us.

There is not enough information.
What is your electrolyte concentration , distance between anode and cathode, size of anode vs cathode and so on.

And since you are handling chemicals we like you to read these links:

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=19798
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/forums/safety.47/
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/dealing-with-waste.10539/

Suggested reading:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/forums/the-library.101/
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/when-in-doubt-cement-it-out.30236/
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...le-read-this-before-you-post-about-ore.33333/

Forum rules is here.
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/

What concentration is your silver nitrate? I believe you have some concentration and or composition issues.

Pete
Afternoon Pete,
Mate, I've used the same formula that I have seen on streetips. That is , I've used 600mls of silver nitrate with 3.6 litres of distilled water. I have two dc power boxes but ATM I'm using the QW-MS3010D. It's just that when I turn the voltage to 3.6 (as in the video) the current drops straight off to 00.1 or completely zero. Now, if I short the negative and positive I can get the current to 9.99 however the voltage gets to no higher than 00.8. The wires that I have use to short out become very hot to the touch and I then drop the amps to around 7.00. I just don't know what I am doing wrong. If you watch streetips as soon as he connects everything to the powerbox he has readings of 3.6 volts and around 1.8 amps.

Attachments

• 17135932384868184057574196049514.jpg
    17135932384868184057574196049514.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Afternoon Pete,
Mate, I've used the same formula that I have seen on streetips. That is , I've used 600mls of silver nitrate with 3.6 litres of distilled water. I have two dc power boxes but ATM I'm using the QW-MS3010D. It's just that when I turn the voltage to 3.6 (as in the video) the current drops straight off to 00.1 or completely zero. Now, if I short the negative and positive I can get the current to 9.99 however the voltage gets to no higher than 00.8. The wires that I have use to short out become very hot to the touch and I then drop the amps to around 7.00. I just don't know what I am doing wrong. If you watch streetips as soon as he connects everything to the powerbox he has readings of 3.6 volts and around 1.8 amps.
You are following a "formula" and setup by mimicking and as such do not understand what lies behind those.
That means you can't troubleshoot or scale since you do not understand the chemistry and mechanics behind it.

And why are you shorting the PSU with the red and black wires?
Not here will be nothing going through the cell.

Now start to study please

Edit to correct text.

Last edited:
You are following a "formula" and setup by mimicking and as such do not understand what lies behind those.
That means you can't troubleshoot or scale since you do not understand the chemistry and mechanics behind it.
That's actually very well put Ygg. People doing this don't need to be qualified chemists however they do need to understand why something is either working or not.

Edit for correction

Last edited:
That's actually very well put Ygg. People doing this don't need to be qualified chemists however they do need to understand why something is either working or not. Excuse my edit of your comment, I think I understood the context that you were trying to convey correctly.
Thanks for that mate, a slip of mind hand coordination again ;)

Edit to adjust text

Last edited:
Just looking for some advice and help here. After all, isn't that how we learn?
That is a part of it, but unless you do not do your part of the work (study) you might not understand the advice given.
You have still not given enough information for us to see what is wrong.
How much Silver do you have in the anode and what is it?
What is the area of the Anode,
How far apart is the Cathode?
What is the point of the shorting of the power supply?

Please give us as much information as possible.

Edit: added missing letter

Last edited:
One of the problems is that if I set the volts to 3.6 the amps are at 0.001 or 0.

Ok - in looking at the pic of your cell set up - it "looks" like you have a "connection" problem (but pictures can be deceiving)

In other words - it "looks" like you do not have a good "solid" connection of the positive lead from the power supply to the silver in the anode basket - it looks like a "loose" connection

First of all - it looks like you are using the "poured silver shot" method for the silver in your anode basket (molten silver poured into water to make small beads of silver)

However - it looks like when you poured the silver into the water you did not do it so that it created smaller beads but rather it created "larger" blobs/chunks

So - instead of lots of small beads touching closer & tighter together - the larger blobs - though touching each other are doing so in a loose way preventing "proper" flow of the current (amps) though the silver

Also - it looks like you stuck the copper end of your positive lead wire in a pool of molten silver which then sits on top of the rest of the shot in the anode basket & that can cause a loose connection in 2 ways ------

1) if the copper wire & the silver did not actually fuzz together - then though the copper wire is stuck in the silver blob it may not be a "tight" connection of the copper with silver = loose connection preventing proper current flow

2) if the silver blob with the wire stuck in it is not heavy enough it may well be sitting on top of the rest of the shot in anode basket in a loose manner rather then sitting on top of the rest of the shot in a hard tight manner

Any one of &/or a combination of the above loose connection problems can & will prevent proper current flow

Though a lot of people use the silver shot method I am not a big fan of that method for the above reasons

I much more prefer pouring "solid" anode bars (pic provided) in that pic - the bar sitting on top of the 2 bars has a hole drilled in the top of it - that hole is then taped to thread a 10/32 brass screw into the hole --- so the lead from the power supply makes a sold connection to the brass screw - the threaded brass screw makes a solid connection with the top bar - the top bar is heavy enough that it makes a solid connection with the 2 actual anode bars

Also - other things that will limit current flow (even if you have tight connections)

Anode to cathode surface area - you have a very large cathode area (stainless steel bowl) but you have a very small anode basket so a very small anode surface area - so your small anode surface area is trying to spread a small current output across a very large cathode surface area --- in my cell you can see that my anode surface area is much larger then yours & at the same time my cathode surface area is only about two & a half times larger then my anode surface area - that means I have much more "current density" taking place in my cell

Also - it "looks" like you have several layers of cloth for your anode bag - if your anode bag is to thick/heavy it will act as an insulator preventing proper/full flow of the current (amps) through the anode bag

Finally - question - how many holes & what size holes do you have in the bottom of your anode basket - please provide a pic

I ask because if you don't have enough holes &/or the holes are not large enough you are again restricting current flow &/or current density just like to small of an anode surface area &/or to thick of an anode bag

Edit to add; - & for what it is worth - my cell (in the pics) is a 4 litter cell - the anode bars are kilo bars of silver --- so that gives you a better idea of the anode surface area to the cathode surface area

Kurt

Attachments

• WP_20170616_10_50_16_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170616_10_50_16_Pro.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • WP_20170616_10_49_50_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170616_10_49_50_Pro.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • WP_20170424_14_33_13_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170424_14_33_13_Pro.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
My complaint of using shot is the constant adjusting of the shot causes the slimes to sift through the filter bags into the electrolyte, contaminating the sliver crystals.

Did you use vacuum bags for the filter cloth? When I tried them it turned out to be my problem of poor connection. Changed the cloth to muslin and it fixed the connection issues I had.

Nice little cell Kurt! I particularly like the rod you connected the cathode with, some tight fitting tubing acting as a protective jacket to keep the growth off the connecting rod.

Ok - in looking at the pic of your cell set up - it "looks" like you have a "connection" problem (but pictures can be deceiving)

In other words - it "looks" like you do not have a good "solid" connection of the positive lead from the power supply to the silver in the anode basket - it looks like a "loose" connection

First of all - it looks like you are using the "poured silver shot" method for the silver in your anode basket (molten silver poured into water to make small beads of silver)

However - it looks like when you poured the silver into the water you did not do it so that it created smaller beads but rather it created "larger" blobs/chunks

So - instead of lots of small beads touching closer & tighter together - the larger blobs - though touching each other are doing so in a loose way preventing "proper" flow of the current (amps) though the silver

Also - it looks like you stuck the copper end of your positive lead wire in a pool of molten silver which then sits on top of the rest of the shot in the anode basket & that can cause a loose connection in 2 ways ------

1) if the copper wire & the silver did not actually fuzz together - then though the copper wire is stuck in the silver blob it may not be a "tight" connection of the copper with silver = loose connection preventing proper current flow

2) if the silver blob with the wire stuck in it is not heavy enough it may well be sitting on top of the rest of the shot in anode basket in a loose manner rather then sitting on top of the rest of the shot in a hard tight manner

Any one of &/or a combination of the above loose connection problems can & will prevent proper current flow

Though a lot of people use the silver shot method I am not a big fan of that method for the above reasons

I much more prefer pouring "solid" anode bars (pic provided) in that pic - the bar sitting on top of the 2 bars has a hole drilled in the top of it - that hole is then taped to thread a 10/32 brass screw into the hole --- so the lead from the power supply makes a sold connection to the brass screw - the threaded brass screw makes a solid connection with the top bar - the top bar is heavy enough that it makes a solid connection with the 2 actual anode bars

Also - other things that will limit current flow (even if you have tight connections)

Anode to cathode surface area - you have a very large cathode area (stainless steel bowl) but you have a very small anode basket so a very small anode surface area - so your small anode surface area is trying to spread a small current output across a very large cathode surface area --- in my cell you can see that my anode surface area is much larger then yours & at the same time my cathode surface area is only about two & a half times larger then my anode surface area - that means I have much more "current density" taking place in my cell

Also - it "looks" like you have several layers of cloth for your anode bag - if your anode bag is to thick/heavy it will act as an insulator preventing proper/full flow of the current (amps) through the anode bag

Finally - question - how many holes & what size holes do you have in the bottom of your anode basket - please provide a pic

I ask because if you don't have enough holes &/or the holes are not large enough you are again restricting current flow &/or current density just like to small of an anode surface area &/or to thick of an anode bag

Edit to add; - & for what it is worth - my cell (in the pics) is a 4 litter cell - the anode bars are kilo bars of silver --- so that gives you a better idea of the anode surface area to the cathode surface area

Kurt
Hi Kurt, what material are you using for the anode filter?

Hi Kurt, what material are you using for the anode filter?

I use unbleached muslin from the fabric department at Walmart - when I first started running that cell I was getting my muslin cloth (unbleached) from Jo -Ann fabrics

The problem with the Jo-Ann muslin was that it was a looser weave cloth so to prevent anode slimes from going through the anode bag I had to put a double layer of muslin in the anode basket

Then the first time I got Walmart muslin (& it was clearly a tighter weave) I still put a double layer in the anode basket & that is when I discovered that to thick of an anode bag causes the insulator problem which restricts current flow - so - with the tighter (Walmart) weave you only need one layer muslin which provides good current flow & with the tighter weave no slims go through the anode bag
Did you use vacuum bags for the filter cloth? When I tried them it turned out to be my problem of poor connection.

Correct - vacuum bags are to thick & though yes they will work - like a double layer of Walmart muslin they "restrict" the current flow thereby reducing the efficiency of the cell
My complaint of using shot is the constant adjusting of the shot causes the slimes to sift through the filter bags into the electrolyte, contaminating the sliver crystals.

Yes - that is another problem with the "silver shot" anode method - as the slims start to develop around the silver beads they loose good connection with each other causing efficiency to drop off - so yes - you have to stir the beads in the anode basket to knock the slims building between the beads off so that the beads make good silver to silver connection again & when you stir the beads you end up "forcing" slimes through the pours in the anode bag

Does the silver shot method work ? - yes - I just am not a fan of that method for the reasons I have posted - IMO you are far better served pouring actual anode "bars"

Kurt

Nice little cell Kurt!

That "little" cell produced "MANY" kilos of silver over the years that I was refining for a living

That VAST majority of my scrap silver I sent/sold directly to a larger refiner instead of refining it myself & that is for the same reason as I explained here in this thread (concerning scrap gold) --------

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/karat-vs-pure-gold.34241/#post-368938

One of the things I leaned very early once I got to the point of PM recovery/refining for a living was that it did not "pay" to "refine" high grade scrap like karat gold &/or sterling silver - as explained in the above thread

The only reason I ran that small cell to refine "some" of my silver was because I had a "few" clients that would buy my "refined" silver (&/or gold) for a premium "over" spot - the rest - not needed to meet the needs of those few clients (5 of them) I sent/sold to the bigger boys without refining

If that makes sense

Anyway - that little cell - over the years - produced many kilos - & though not big it was big enough to meet the needs of those 5 over spot clients --- something like 6 to 10 kilos per month

Pics provided to inspire others ;) ;)

Kurt

Attachments

• WP_20150118_004.jpg
    WP_20150118_004.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • WP_20161118_04_18_33_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161118_04_18_33_Pro.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • WP_20170425_04_44_24_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170425_04_44_24_Pro.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • WP_20170428_07_13_30_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170428_07_13_30_Pro.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • WP_20150309_003.jpg
    WP_20150309_003.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Good morning,

Cameron
I have a power source similar to that but I have to have the ground and negative leads attached to the cathode for. It to work I attached your picture with the correct circuit then it will work
Edited for clarity

1713737557297.jpeg

Last edited:
That "little" cell produced "MANY" kilos of silver over the years that I was refining for a living

That VAST majority of my scrap silver I sent/sold directly to a larger refiner instead of refining it myself & that is for the same reason as I explained here in this thread (concerning scrap gold) --------

One of the things I leaned very early once I got to the point of PM recovery/refining for a living was that it did not "pay" to "refine" high grade scrap like karat gold &/or sterling silver - as explained in the above thread

The only reason I ran that small cell to refine "some" of my silver was because I had a "few" clients that would buy my "refined" silver (&/or gold) for a premium "over" spot - the rest - not needed to meet the needs of those few clients (5 of them) I sent/sold to the bigger boys without refining

If that makes sense

Anyway - that little cell - over the years - produced many kilos - & though not big it was big enough to meet the needs of those 5 over spot clients --- something like 6 to 10 kilos per month

Kurt
Curious how you got the large Ag crystals to grow so large. Care to share? They are really nice (sucking up to Kurt).

If that makes sense

Kurt
What you got as yield in slimes? For 10 kilo of crystals, how many gram of other PM you got?

Kurt
Where did you find that blue anode basket it fits into that battery jar so well .
Edit for grammar
Jeff

Last edited:
Back