Mobile(cell) phones- real data from refiner

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snoman701 said:
WOW...you tore apart 60 lbs cell phones.

I'm impressed.

I will completely tear down a pocket watch and clean each individual part...but won't even begin to think about tearing apart cell phones.
I have just fulfilled my fantasy to destroy, though I have saved most of those tiny screws. :D

Another better known scrapyard who pays ~209 USD per 10kg of mobile PCB at today EUR/USD exchange rates:
Above 100 kg they will negotiate individually.
https://www.precious-metal-services.com/prices-sorting-criteria-for-electronic-waste/

So unless there are some EU subsidies distortions/scams, there *must be* enough of gold and Pd to make good for these money.
~5.0g of Au+Pd per 10 kg of mobile PCB is break even under asumption that scrap yard is charity and refiner is a donkey working for free and chemicals/energy/transport etc cost nothing.
Other values (Ag, Ta, Cu) would cover taxes etc.

So assuming that business is a viable one and free of government subsidies there must be at least 7g of Au+Pd in 10 kg of mobile PCB-s *currently* recovered.
With older lots there should be more.

There's a lot of "assuming" and "there must be" and "at least" and "should" in that post. It's not raw data it's opinion. I'm not suggesting that what you say doesn't have merit, I'm saying that strongly worded opinions end up being quoted as fact in this day and age and we need to be clear about what is fact and what is merely conjecture.

In a year's time people could be quoting your post as a hard and fast rule, and there are many people out there who listen to what they want to hear to the exclusion of fact.

Regards

Jon

ChemGeek wrote about cell phone yield "With older lots there should be more"
Im not sure if we are talking cell phone PCB, but if we are talking about a complete phone i agree.
Look at the price at these two types of cell phones.
http://altmetallhandel-heimberger.de/category/show/25/handyschrott

@canedane,
I was writing about PCB-s.
Incidentally you have given a reference to a very good price offer.
Scrapyard mentioned by you pays $ 265 per 10kg of mobile PCB what is much above the price which @anachronism considers surprisingly high.
Perhaps now he knows where to sell his stock for a good profit.

They pay for 10kg as much as for ~6.5g Au+Pd.
This suggests that there should be even more of Au+Pd there, or their adventure does *not* make sense, unless there are government subsidies.

It is easy to explain price difference of handsets. In old phones PCB is about 30% of weight of battery and back cover free handset and in smartphones it is usually below 20%.

Regarding gold content in old PCB-s, I have red opinions that in the past manufacturers were more generous with gold platings etc.
Older models were built to last long and new smartphones are just a clever scam directed at milking money out of Millenials who swallow every advertising b/s like pelikans.
So there is no point in making robust smartphone, if social pressure is causing peoples to *upgrade* every year or two because some mysterious and rarely used new functions are there.
Hence more shabby manufacturing practice is OK. Hardly anyone will complain.

Greeting! Does anyone know what all the metals are pulled from the PCB in Umicore. Do they pay the bill or can it be taken into gold value? Thank you.

Back