Merged Topics on Ceramic CPU Recovery with Yields

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W will not dissolve.
Only the surface react to produce yellow oxide that slowly falls off.

W is, for all practical reasons, inert to this treatment.

Thank you, Steve. That was just what I needed to know. I was thinking it would probably be something like that. I'm going to be conservative & assume that just enough solution to cover should be the right amount.

I'm pretty sure I'll see this for myself after the heat spreader & lid come loose, but I'll mention it anyway. I'm guessing that the Nitric/water solution will loosen the gold from the spreader so I should be able to scrape it off as foil. I saw a video somewhere where someone did that. Also, that's kind of how it looks in the pic you posted of your foils.

Thank you too, Sam. I appreciate the input.

Ed

Yes, the legs fall off, the foils come loose from the spreader, and the die should be free of the housing...the 'that Cha-ka meat falls right off the bone' (Land of the Lost Reference here) as a fellow refiner friend and I always say. ;)

Steve

hey sam, i have seen your video about gold recovery from CPU i had a question, i have several things that i dont know.
1) in part 2, after filtering the cold sollution, you say wash the filter with Ag/Pb Chloride, what is that mean?
2) in final result, we get gold powder, how many Karat that we get?
thanks.

I have processed a lot of ceramic CPUs. Both with a ball mill and without. There is a slight gain if you are doing large quantities, but I doubt it amounts to much and probably would not cover the cost of the ball mill, nor power required to operate nor the time.

Scott

Wookie said:
hey sam, i have seen ur video abut gold recovery from CPU i had a question, i have several things that i dont know.
1) in part 2, after filtering the cold sollution, u say wash the filter with Ag/Pb Chloride, what is that mean?
thanks.
Wookie,
I'm going to consider that you are not a native of the US, but we're very critical of the language that is used on this board. Any form of text lingo is not permitted. If you mean to say "you", spell it that way, DO NOT USE THE LETTER U. That applies to all types of shortcuts that may be common for texting.
I readily ban readers who refuse to comply, and will do so without further warning. Be advised accordingly.

Harold

Harold_V said:
Wookie said:
hey sam, i have seen ur video abut gold recovery from CPU i had a question, i have several things that i dont know.
1) in part 2, after filtering the cold sollution, u say wash the filter with Ag/Pb Chloride, what is that mean?
thanks.
Wookie,
I'm going to consider that you are not a native of the US, but we're very critical of the language that is used on this board. Any form of text lingo is not permitted. If you mean to say "you", spell it that way, DO NOT USE THE LETTER U. That applies to all types of shortcuts that may be common for texting.
I readily ban readers who refuse to comply, and will do so without further warning. Be advised accordingly.

Harold
sorry, i already edit that.

Wookie said:
hey sam, i have seen your video about gold recovery from CPU i had a question, i have several things that i dont know.
1) in part 2, after filtering the cold sollution, you say wash the filter with Ag/Pb Chloride, what is that mean?
thanks.

Wookie,

1) Lead and Silver chloride are solids, the point in to filter it out.
Meaning, these solid salts will remain in the filter and needed to be washed with water to remove residual gold solution.

2) Ideally, the gold resoulting from the process shown in the video would be 99.5% or higher, but that's very much depends on the way one work.

First, sorry for my english, it is not so good.

I have only one question, in video posted by Samuel - Gold recovery process from Ceramic CPU's
I really want to know if i must to use a silver chlorid ?
And when i must use it, my question is when I must use it because i dont know

The silver chloride Sam mentions is the result of using AR (or Poorman's AR) when silver is present.

It is not something you will purposely add to the reaction.

thanks a lot for the answer

So, everything what I need for Gold recovery process from Ceramic CPU's and refining and melting is : HCL, Sodium Nitrate, Sulfuric Acid, SMB, Stannous Chlorid, Ammonia.
That´s all what I need ?

butcher : that was really helpful, thanks.

I study a lot and Samuel´s video is really good and helpful but, just for my own satisfaction
I added here my previous question. I just want to know if I forgot some chemicals

pedroADV.

As I said that is all you need to make a big mess.
You seen a video and read a little, the video is done by someone who has studied for years, and is showing a very small portion of a process or processes (I am unsure of the video you are referring to and cannot comment on it specifically), what you will not see or learn from watching a video is the information and knowledge you will need to go from scrap to gold and deal with waste...

The video would have to be longer than most CD's could store data, to teach you all of the things you will need to learn, and understand.

The video would be a great help to someone who already understood all of the processes and the basics of recovery and refining, but for not a beginner with little understanding of the chemistry, dangers, and so on, especially if having to ask what chemicals he would need (I do not see anything in your list to treat waste, what I do see is some chemical in your list that could form an explosive mix with metals in solution if not used properly.

I am not trying to give you a hard time, I am actually trying to help you get started.

Right now (as far as I know) you do not need any chemicals, you can get what you need when you know you need it (I could give you a very large list of chemical we use, but if you ran out and bought them what would you do with them, until you knew you had a use?

What you need is to get a basic understanding and knowledge of recovery and refining, understand the safety involved, know how to deal with waste, know how to keep yourself and others safe from corrosive acids, poisonous gases, and deadly toxic waste, understand how metals react with chemicals, and how metals can form explosive mixes...

Basically you need to put the horse in front of the cart if you wish to get anywhere, right now you have the cart in front of the horse and trying to go backwards to learn, this is a recipe for a big mess and disaster and much frustration on your part.

Work on the process in the video after you get the basic understanding and then you will do much better.

Start with hokes book, concentrate on it, read it through once, then go back an read again the getting acquainted experiments, now you will know what chemicals you need to do these small experiments, observing the reactions will give you an understanding words or videos cannot, study the forum the safety section and dealing with waste, study the processes that interest you learn all you can about them, basically get a good understanding and knowledge of what you need and why, get a good grasp on the chemistry, and the safety.

Learn to recover gold and precious metals and refine them to high purity, not starting out trying things you understand very little about making big dangerous messes and standing there with a look of confusion, wondering where your gold went and what to do next.

This chemistry of metals is a complicated science, treat it as such, study and work as a chemist gaining an understanding by study small experiments and increasing your knowledge know what needs to be done before you do it, have a good idea of what to expect, and if things do not go as suspected (many times they will not), know why and what to do.

Forget about getting gold for the time being,(that will come in due time as you gain knowledge, understanding, and skill) work on gaining understanding knowledge and skill, then the gold will come easy, you will know how to handle it and any problem that comes your way, put your horse before the cart and you will go far, jumping in before will be a big mess.

just trying to help.
I look forward to you becoming a skilled workman in this art, it will take time to learn, but I will enjoy watching you grow, and look forward to seeing you help others learn from what you are learning, and if you work hard I bet you will be teaching me a few tricks.

Welcome to the forum. I am just trying to help you get started on the best path.

Dear butcher

At first, thank you for your advice. Now I know what do you want to tell me but i do not have time (years) to study. I want to do following this video step by step http://www.goldnscrap.com/index.php/scrap-cpu-a-chips/91-gold-recovery-process-from-ceramic-cpus-part-1 and of course part-2 ,too. The book is for my english really hard and i don´t believe that anyone who refining gold read it whole, but if you tell me what part is necessary, I read it. But whole book is for me unthinkable. I do not mean this in bad. I will be grateful for your next advice.

Here we go again :roll: :roll: :roll:
Will the world ever run out of lazy people that refuse to learn for themselves, instead of expecting to have hard learned knowledge freely handed to them.

Send me a Bank Check for $5000.00 USD and I will send you step be step instructions in the language of your choice to refine whatever material you want. As soon as the check clears the bank I will send the step-by-step instructions.
Oh but you will still have to read them :shock:

The thing that troubles me in this instance is the notion that a person can pick a tiny bit of information and process without issue. He made it perfectly clear that he is willing to read a limited amount, that which pertains to his objective--but those are the words of the typical individual who assumes that refining is dead easy--that one must know next to nothing--it just happens when you hold your mouth just right and stand around looking good.

PedroADV,
As you have been receiving guidance from our very capable moderator, Butcher, I will refrain from providing any. However, be advised that I take a very dim view of folks who come to this forum with the idea that they need do nothing, or very little, and can start raking in all that big money on free gold. It just doesn't work that way.

Let me explain, hopefully in terms you can understand.

Refining is but a small portion of this process. If you do not understand the basics, including safety issues, you will struggle, making huge mistakes along the way. These mistakes may harm you, or others, but the part that will annoy me is that you will come back to this forum time and again asking for information to solve the problems you'll face. The answers you would get will be no different from you reading the book that is recommended as a basic instructional manual --Hoke's book on Refining Precious Metal Wastes. Until you understand what that book teaches, you will have no end to questions, which will result in your being banned from the forum.

We insist that you read that book. If you choose not to, please quietly leave the forum. We have grown weary from individuals who share your apparent mindset.

Harold

Back