making gold testing solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Holywood,

I love your posts, but I do have to say this..... please take notice.

caps_2Dlock.jpg

It's just hard to read. Thanks and keep up the good work.

IT REALLY HURTS THE EYES WHEN YOU HAVE TO READ SOMETHING ALL IN CAPS!! :shock:

Noxx said:
I would like to know if test stones are special stones. Is it possible to use a fine grit sand paper ? ( The one used for metals )
Thanks

Yes, the testing stone is a special type, but I can't remember the name. It is chosen for it's color consistency and lack of absorbtion.
The stone is inexpensive and will last a lifetime. Why bother with sandpaper?

Noxx said:
I would like to know if test stones are special stones. Is it possible to use a fine grit sand paper ? ( The one used for metals )
Thanks

Black Lydian slate is the touchstone. It is harder than the metals being tested as well as consistency and lack of absorbtion.

Does anyone know how to make 9k gold solution? as this is the most commonly used here in New Zealand. cheers

GoldXchangeNZ,

Actually, the 10, 14, 18, and 22k acids aren't specific to those karats. The important thing is how the acids react to those specific karats. I would think that 10K acid could easily be used to test 9K gold. You should use something that you know to be 9K and then compare the reaction, side-by-side, using the 10K acid, with the unknown. If this isn't sensitive enough for you, dilute some of the 10K acid, just a tiny bit, with distilled water. The 10K acid is usually just nitric and water anyway. The touchstone is a comparison method and not an absolute, "this will happen", method.

hi gold refiners, first post so greets to all :p

useful thread here, as i'm about to make my first few ml of aqua regia, and have been reading this with interest. one question i have is in regard to water; reading around other info on aqua regia, it's just 3:1 with the acids, no mention of water. yet here i read about adding water. wondering if anyone knows if there's any useful function to adding water, or if it's good to go with just 3:1 acids.

uranian said:
hi gold refiners, first post so greets to all :p

useful thread here, as i'm about to make my first few ml of aqua regia, and have been reading this with interest. one question i have is in regard to water; reading around other info on aqua regia, it's just 3:1 with the acids, no mention of water. yet here i read about adding water. wondering if anyone knows if there's any useful function to adding water, or if it's good to go with just 3:1 acids.
I suggest you not consider 3:1 for aqua regia. Two reasons. Depending on the level of concentration of either of the two acids, you may be lacking in HCl in order to fully consume the volume of nitric. Secondly, unlike excess nitric, excess HCl does no harm--------so start with a mix of 1 nitric to 4 HCl, which will insure that you consume all of the nitric (assuming you have not added excessive nitric).

The addition of water results in the hydronium ion---supposedly with the effect of extending the amount of work a given amount of acid can perform. Not being a chemist, I am not able to confirm or deny. However, my repeated experience in making electrolyte for the silver cell indicates to me that it is true. Nitric in concentrated form is slow to dissolve silver, yet is exceedingly fast when diluted by an equal amount of (distilled) water, which was my routine.

Harold

i've got more of each acid than i'll ever use, so i'm not really concerned about volumes used, but thanks for the thought. your experience that nitric acid mixed with water dissolves silver faster is useful stuff too. i'll try both and update as i go.

Can we have a Dunce smiley on the forum?

You just received advice from one of the key members of this forum. Advice given to help you achieve success and it passed right through your head. :roll:

uranian said:
i've got more of each acid than i'll ever use, so i'm not really concerned about volumes used, but thanks for the thought
You're very adept at missing the point, my friend.

Harold

qst42know said:
Can we have a Dunce smiley on the forum?

You just received advice from one of the key members of this forum. Advice given to help you achieve success and it passed right through your head. :roll:
And a like button? :roll:

I am going to cry foul here on all of you except uranian. It was his first post, of course he does not understand the value of what Harold wrote and why it is important.

But lickidy split he was labeled a dunce (stupid) but no advice was offered to explain why he misunderstood the value of what was presented. It is fine to tell someone they are wrong or do not understand. But it is also wrong to say that, and not offer an explanation as to why they are wrong.

I am tired and must go to bed but to put it simply uranian, Harold was trying to prevent you from having excess nitric in your final solution which is a chore to remove before precipitating your gold and can often be avoided.

I do not mean to seem harsh but maybe due to lack of sleep I only saw the criticism of someones lack of knowledge, and no signs of helping him/her to grasp what was being offered or giving clarification as to what they missed.

friendly place, i'll not bother then. what's hard to understand that i've got more acid than i'll ever use, so i'm not concerned about saving acids? i have 2.5 liters of each acid, and i'll never need more than 100ml of aqua regia in my entire life i imagine.

we need a goodbye smiley, too :|

Now I regret what I wrote. My apologies to Harold, Nick, and qst42know. I must have missed something that you all saw.

Uranian, on the slim chance that you may actually become a contributor here in the future I will say it more clearly. It is not about the acids you have available to you (hell you could have free acids into perpetuity), having the wrong balance means you have problems precipitating your gold. That is what you want right?

I must say that after I stood up for you as a new member that may not understand the value of what was presented, then seeing your reply, I have lost all interest in helping you if you care to take that kind of attitude. You are a fish out of water, and I tried to give you a drink.

The dunce smiley comment was sarcastic, harsh and served no purpose. It did nothing to convince you to pay attention to the help that was offered. For that I apologize.

What I saw was an flippant attitude towards sage advice.

goldsilverpro said:
The formulas I gave are based on reagent grade or technical grade nitric acid, although, the technical grade is a little weaker. Since this is a comparison thing - known karat vs unknown - slight variations in nitric strength shouldn't make that much difference.

I think GSP brings up a very good point here. In my opinion its not worth making your own solutions. There are too many variables in making your own testing solutions that could be very costly(as in you lose money :!: ). Also mentioned in this thread is how many drops of HCL and distilled water are needed and that it can vary by eyedroppers. These should be very precise no? This is even before we start talking about the HCL. Is it lab grade HCL or the kind that you get at the hardware store that may contain contaminants(like metals) :?: I think you're better off just buying the little bottles. But again this is just my opinion.

Back