LCD screens

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimdoc said:
hammerdown said:
I realize this thread is a bit older now, but relevance is still there. From what I dug up in trying to research this topic, supposedly Platinum & Rhodium is used in the composition make up of a LCD glass panel... in varying ratios at that. To what end of "being worth" going after, not to mention how to do so, is not something I can answer at this point. A value of worth can differ from person to person, as well as the perspective of worth. Anyways, I just thought I'd post this tid bit and the link to where I found it in case it's helpful to anyone.

http://www.platinum.matthey.com/about-pgm/applications/industrial/glass

Also, I read throughout the forum that supposedly Indium is used as well.

Platinum and Rhodium are not used in the composition of the glass, but in the tools used to make the glass.

Ah... my bad. I must've misunderstood the article.

I used a different tool to separate the glass from the adhesive holding it to the aluminum on the back. I haven't seen any of those screens your talking about. If you have some clear looking plastic that acts like a magnifying glass, it's probably a fresnel lens. I've got a number here somewhere for a company that recycles and sells LCD screens. You can put some in with the circuit boards to be refined but they don't want too many in there so they (SIPI) gave me a number but now I can't find it, might have to call them back. So I put all the little LCD's in with the boards like from phones games and calculators and save the large ones. That other pane of glass I just broke it up and threw it in with my other screens, I ain't messing with it.

I know the pictures above are of a plasma tv.

Yep, that's a plasma screen. I have about 100 of them sitting in a corner of the warehouse. No one wants to touch them.

The 42" model has about an ounce of silver in them, but the labor to get the glass off the heat sink backing costs more than the silver is worth.

Now the gold plated connectors all around the edges, different story.

I took an older flat screen apart today. It has ribbons coming out of between glass screens that I think have gold tips. The ribbons plugged into little lock things with gold pins. My question I am asking is does that plastic sheet between glass panels have gold in it?

I think those platings on the ends are very hard to pursue, and dangerous for anything smaller than big ops, i noticed them myself. Could a heat gun be used to separate without breaking the glass?

Last edited:
I think those platings on the ends are very hard to pursue, and dangerous for anything smaller than big ops, i noticed them myself. Could a heat gun be used to separate without breaking the glass?
I will try to separate with heat gun. I am just beginning to try to reclaim from some electronics and trying to learn what to keep. Thanks for replying.

I just tear them off.
All mine has come clean off.

I would avoid crushing any glass, if it did separate with heat and just use acid, then that would be great.

Back