Help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rerod

I have a backpack full of raw rhodium. It has been tested at a university and other places. I can't find a buyer. Could someone please help with good advice.

I have a backpack full of raw rhodium. It has been tested at a university and other places. I can't find a buyer. Could someone please help with good advice.
I suspect that whatever university tested your items used an XRF machine. These machines are extremely inaccurate due to several factors, including library loaded, calibration, and user experience. There are dozens of threads discussing the limitations of these machines.

Best advice is to have a real assay performed.

Please do NOT double post. It is against Forum rules.

Time for more coffee.

Welcome to us.
There is not such thing as raw Rhodium.
Even Rhodium ore is not a thing, Rhodium is mined as a by product from Nickel and Platinum mining.
Do you have a NiS assay?
That is practically the only way of being sure what you have regarding PGM metals.
How was the test done at the University?

Welcome to us.
Even Rhodium ore is not a thing, Rhodium is mined as a by product from Nickel and Platinum mining.
Do you have a NiS assay?
That is practically the only way of being sure what you have regarding PGM metals.
Thank you for responding . To be honest, I am just the middle man. I was told they took it to Oklahoma state university. But I personally took a 7.5 gram chunk of it to yafee metals and watched them hit it with their hand held device and they came out and said it was definitely rhodium. But they waant interet in buying it. Not giving a reason why. I don't understand if this is such a rare and valuable metal why aren't people interested in it? Is it the federal laws that apply or becuz it's not been refined?

Thank you for responding . To be honest, I am just the middle man. I was told they took it to Oklahoma state university. But I personally took a 7.5 gram chunk of it to yafee metals and watched them hit it with their hand held device and they came out and said it was definitely rhodium. But they waant interet in buying it. Not giving a reason why. I don't understand if this is such a rare and valuable metal why aren't people interested in it? Is it the federal laws that apply or becuz it's not been refined?
Because most of the time the XRF mistake Arsenic and other material for Rhodium or Iridium.
Those metals are by the way so hard to recover from ore that almost no one can do it.
Besides that they are usually in 0.0something % percent of the ore when it is rich.
That means you really need thousands of tons if you plan to make a profit.

Welcome to us.
Do you have a NiS assay?
I have no reports. Where would I have to go to get such report. I personally took a 7.5 gram piece to yafee metals and the held it in front of their hand held device then went in their office and came back out a few minutes later and said it was definitely rhodium. I assume it was some kind of spectrum analyzer. But I don't know. What I do know is these people have a back pack full of this stuff that they claim and yafee metals said it to b rhodium. The people claim they found it when digging a fire pit in their yard. Down about 18" deep under a rock. Common sense tells me someone had to put it their. And had reason too. What I don't understand is if it is rhodium, why isnt anyone interested in buying it? Since it's such a rare and precious metal? I know exactly where they said they dug it up at and plan to go dig up my own. I just need help to know what to do next or who to contact. Maybe someone on here would be interested in making a profit and want to buy this stuff. I'm not greedy. Would make someone a good deal. I know it's hard to trust people but I'm not on here to sale. I just don't know what my next move should be. And I am on a very limited budget.

Because most of the time the XRF mistake Arsenic and other material for Rhodium or Iridium.
Those metals are by the way so hard to recover from ore that almost no one can do it.
Besides that they are usually in 0.0something % percent of the ore when it is rich.
That means you really need thousands of tons if you plan to make a profit.
So look I am willing to send you this piece I have and you tell me. I don't know why two different places would call it rhodium and it not b. It will melt ice instantly. You can put a torch to it and as soon as you take it away you can grab it. If you run warm water on it, it gets so hot you can't hold it. That's the extent of my knowledge of it. But I will give u my phone number and you call me with ur address and I will mail u a piece. If it's legal to do so.

Attachments

• IMG_2024-04-15-00-08-57-451~2.jpg
    IMG_2024-04-15-00-08-57-451~2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
So look I am willing to send you this piece I have and you tell me. I don't know why two different places would call it rhodium and it not b. It will melt ice instantly. You can put a torch to it and as soon as you take it away you can grab it. If you run warm water on it, it gets so hot you can't hold it. That's the extent of my knowledge of it. But I will give u my phone number and you call me with ur address and I will mail u a piece. If it's legal to do so.
I'm in Europe and have no way of testing it.
Is it metallic?
Or rock like?

Picture is blurry, so it is hard to say.
Where in the world are you?
Can you get someone with a XRF to test it in full spectrum GeoChemical mode, not precious metal mode?

I have no reports. Where would I have to go to get such report. I personally took a 7.5 gram piece to yafee metals and the held it in front of their hand held device then went in their office and came back out a few minutes later and said it was definitely rhodium. I assume it was some kind of spectrum analyzer. But I don't know. What I do know is these people have a back pack full of this stuff that they claim and yafee metals said it to b rhodium. The people claim they found it when digging a fire pit in their yard. Down about 18" deep under a rock. Common sense tells me someone had to put it their. And had reason too. What I don't understand is if it is rhodium, why isnt anyone interested in buying it? Since it's such a rare and precious metal? I know exactly where they said they dug it up at and plan to go dig up my own. I just need help to know what to do next or who to contact. Maybe someone on here would be interested in making a profit and want to buy this stuff. I'm not greedy. Would make someone a good deal. I know it's hard to trust people but I'm not on here to sale. I just don't know what my next move should be. And I am on a very limited budget.
Read through this thread: So, you think your rocks are valuable? READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ABOUT ORE!

It's a bit of a harsh wake-up call, but you'll find a lot of valuable resources near the end of the first post. You'll find a number of assayers who can do a true assay on your rocks.

The hand held device you're describing is an XRF analyzer. There are many posts here on the forum about members who have used these devices that told them their rocks were loaded with precious metals, but they turned out to be arsenic minerals or other non-valuable minerals that the XRF mis-identified as precious metals.

Your limited budget is probably going to be a problem, as the type of assay required for platinum metal group metals (rhodium is one of them) is expensive.

The reason no one wants to buy your rocks is because pretty anyone in the business knows that XRF results are not reliable.

Dave

Because it's very probable it's a toxic mineral, not an ore of any value.
the applied device is not suitable to anayse your rock.
How are you the middle man? Did you buy it from the miner?
Even if it is not toxic, the cost of testing it to determine the best cause of action, will eat up the profit of anything less than tons of material.

I just know the people who found it buried in their yard when digging a fire pit. If it is rhodium how could it not be valuable? I am by no means a geologist. I'm just trying to make a dollar. What do you suggest be done with this stuff? I don't want anyone harmed from it. Who do I need to take it too? They have been giving to other people. I know one friend has a 16oz rock and another friend has a 8oz one.

Attachments

• IMG_2024-04-15-00-10-55-307~2.jpg
    IMG_2024-04-15-00-10-55-307~2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 0
I just know the people who found it buried in their yard when digging a fire pit. If it is rhodium how could it not be valuable? I am by no means a geologist. I'm just trying to make a dollar. What do you suggest be done with this stuff? I don't want anyone harmed from it. Who do I need to take it too? They have been giving to other people. I know one friend has a 16oz rock and another friend has a 8oz one.
Look at your picture.
Do you think you could identify anything at all from such a blurry image?

Why is it that so many of the identify this rock post have such bad pictures?

Even if you have high quality images with crisp focus it will/may be impossible to identify rocks.
Specific gravity (density) of the rock with thorough descriptions will be much better.

What do you suggest be done with this stuff?
Take it to a mineralogist for determination. Or have it analysed by a lab.
They have been giving to other people. I know one friend has a 16oz rock and another friend has a 8oz one.
That's one way to get rid of toxic waste;)

Was this in natural deposit or dumped there to hide and get rid of? ( is there more)

Look at your picture.
Do you think you could identify anything at all from such a blurry image?

Why is it that so many of the identify this rock post have such bad pictures?

Even if you have high quality images with crisp focus it will/may be impossible to identify rocks.
Specific gravity (density) of the rock with thorough descriptions will be much better.
Sorry. Cheap phone. I will try to get a better picture for u

Sorry. Cheap phone. I will try to get a better picture for u
I don't need a picture.
Have you read what I/we have said?
You can not identify much by pictures at all.
You need an assay, and that will be too expensive if all you have is a few ounces of material.
If you can find someone with a XRF with geochem library, you may get more precise results.
It can be of value, but we just can't say.

Back