Have about 40 gallons of 68% nitric what do i do with ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naddeb

I purchased a 55gl drum of 68% nitric and was wondering what I could I do with it I like to refine some scrap gold e waste I've been storing for awhile any thoughts

I purchased a 55gl drum of 68% nitric and was wondering what I could I do with it I like to refine some scrap gold e waste I've been storing for awhile any thoughts
Welcome to us.
You seem to have a luxury problem.
Most in here buy or try to buy Nitric because they need it, you buy it and try to find an application for it.

Since you plan to use chemicals we want you to study these links first:

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/

I'd hold onto it get some hcl and peroxide and use it sparingly and if possible on the precise amount needed. Then in the while find what to do with it.

We usually use nitric acid in two ways when we refine gold.

First, we use it to dissolve away base metals while leaving the gold behind as a solid. Exactly how this is done depends on the feedstock.

Second, we use it along with hydrochloric acid (HCl) to dissolve the gold, then selectively precipitate the gold while leaving any remaining base metals in solution, thus achieving refined gold.

Dave

Nitric is also a needed for refining silver. Since your looking for ways to use it, just mentioning another option.

Ty iv been trolling around the web for years on gold recovery from waste .
Assuming you as an amercian know what you are writing and not misusing a word... :
Somehow the existence of is phenomena does not not surprise me... I suspect we have been a victim as well, looking at some " i'm not going to listen to you all and keep asking the same annoying questions about my rock or vinegar over and over to see how long it takes for folk to give up.
We don't like trolls. I hate them.
So before I welcome you to the forum, what is your goal here? Trolling?, then leave.

Assuming you as an amercian know what you are writing and not misusing a word... :
Somehow the existence of is phenomena does not not surprise me... I suspect we have been a victim as well, looking at some " i'm not going to listen to you all and keep asking the same annoying questions about my rock or vinegar over and over to see how long it takes for folk to give up.
We don't like trolls. I hate them.
So before I welcome you to the forum, what is your goal here? Trolling?, then leave.
He might have meant Trawling ;)

No I have better things to do with my time than trolling some obscure random forum I guess I was thinking I could just throw a bunch of gold bering e-waste in the drum of nitric and somehow get some gold out of it but I know enough to say it's not that easy , not sure what I was going for that's why I was asking what to do don't want to upset any of you just really don't know what to do with it really its in a stainless drum and just sitting at my business guess I could sell it but wouldn't really know where to do that either ? I bought it at an auction for a nursery where they used it for fertilizer does lose it's potency sitting outside how does it need to be properly stored

No I have better things to do with my time than trolling some obscure random forum I guess I was thinking I could just throw a bunch of gold bering e-waste in the drum of nitric and somehow get some gold out of it but I know enough to say it's not that easy , not sure what I was going for that's why I was asking what to do don't want to upset any of you just really don't know what to do with it really its in a stainless drum and just sitting at my business guess I could sell it but wouldn't really know where to do that either ? I bought it at an auction for a nursery where they used it for fertilizer does lose it's potency sitting outside how does it need to be properly stored
If you tell where you are I'm confident there are many that may pay well for a gallon or two of Nitric.
As it is many has problem sourcing affordable Nitric for their refining.

Be carefull who you sell it to. There are laws restricing selling it for the obvious reasons. Drugs and explosives.
Lawsuits in the states are no joke so I've heard. Look up the MSDS of nitric to learn how its supposed to be stored.

My paranoid 2 cents.

its in a stainless drum and just sitting at my business guess I could sell it but wouldn't really know where to do that either ? I bought it at an auction for a nursery where they used it for fertilizer does lose it's potency sitting outside how does it need to be properly stored
That is the best way to store it. Nitric acid "passivates" stainless steel, meaning it creates a protective layer of chrome oxide inside the drum that protects the drum from any further damage. It does no lose its potency. I have some nitric acid that's about 50 years old and it's just as potent as it was the day I bought it.

You need to be careful about the fumes. It depends on how the drum is sealed and stored. If it is subjected to varying temperatures, the fumes can push past the seal, in which case they can corrode everything around them. Store it away from anything that can be affected by an oxidizer.

Dave

Back