Gold plating.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonka

I have a quick question. When dissolve base metals with a nitric/water mixture. At what ratio should it be to not dissolve the gold plating. I currently use 1/5 on ram sticks and it seems to work, but is this the correct mixture? Could I do a 1/4 and speed up the process without gold loss?

Christian has answered your question accurately and if you had done your own studying you wouldn’t have needed to ask such a simple question…
Please do your own research and learn the chemicals and processes we use as it might not just save your values but your life.

I can tell you now that both of you are wrong. Nitric acid can and will dissolve gold. Even if it 24k. It dissolves the base metals out of the plating and then the gold atoms that are being pulled off bond with them. I’ve done the experiments. Watched it happen with my own eyes. Cleaned up the mess after. When it’s 24k it’s very slow but it still happens. The gold atoms form bond with oxygen in the water. Unless done at a very cold temperature.

I can tell you now that both of you are wrong. Nitric acid can and will dissolve gold. Even if it 24k. It dissolves the base metals out of the plating and then the gold atoms that are being pulled off bond with them. I’ve done the experiments. Watched it happen with my own eyes. Cleaned up the mess after. When it’s 24k it’s very slow but it still happens. The gold atoms form bond with oxygen in the water. Unless done at a very cold temperature.
Sorry but nitric acid alone will not dissolve gold.
Whatever you seen dissolve in nitric was not gold.
Have you even read the Hoke book at all ?

Sorry but nitric acid alone will not dissolve gold.
Whatever you seen dissolve in nitric was not gold.
Have you even read the Hoke book at all ?
“Nitric acid can pull gold atoms off gold but the compound is unstable and return to the gold” if you have base metals washing cross the gold they can easily grab it.

I have a quick question. When dissolve base metals with a nitric/water mixture. At what ratio should it be to not dissolve the gold plating. I currently use 1/5 on ram sticks and it seems to work, but is this the correct mixture? Could I do a 1/4 and speed up the process without gold loss?

If, your material has ENIG plating then the gold will (generally) come off as a black powered and gives the appearance of dissolving. But.....I don't think I've ever seen ENIG plated RAM.

“Nitric acid can pull gold atoms off gold but the compound is unstable and return to the gold” if you have base metals washing cross the gold they can easily grab it.
Where did you find this quote?
It is common courtesy to note where you get the quotes from.
And sin science it is mandatory.
It still do not alter the facts.
Nitric alone do not dissolve Gold in the conditions on the surface on the Earth.
As Eaglekeeper says, if the plating is thin it may look like it is dissolved but it just crumbles to a fine powder.
Just notice what happens when you rub your finger on thin plating , it disappear without dissolving.
Edit to correct misspelling (underscored)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back