Gold in old copper items?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who knows about gold in old copper?? In Denmark our famous old building Børsen 400 years old cobber roof replace with new copper. The old copper goes to Finland, to be refined to new copper. I will say the gold in the copper is more worth than the copper. The seller diddent know about it, i wonder if the buyer knows about it.
Henrik

Hello.

A friend from a certain country mentioned that old copper items produced there in the past sometimes contained small amounts of gold in them.

I can understand some very small trace amounts but couldn't find anything out yet about "bigger amounts".

They said when they were a child they remember someone collecting all the old copper items they could find from village to village to extract the gold from these items.

I mean if that was true, people would already have bought out as much of these copper items from that country and made a gold extraction already.

Sounds like a nice story to me, what do you think?

That was my first question on this forum.

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/old-blister-copper-as-pm-source.27335/

Who knows about gold in old copper?? In Denmark our famous old building Børsen 400 years old cobber roof replace with new copper. The old copper goes to Finland, to be refined to new copper. I will say the gold in the copper is more worth than the copper. The seller diddent know about it, i wonder if the buyer knows about it.
Henrik
The copper roof was only 140 years old. Børsen has been renovated several times since its construction.

History​

Electrolytic refining of copper was first patented in England by James Elkington in 1865 and the first electrolytic copper refinery was built by Elkington in Burry Port, South Wales in 1869.

About ten years ago an about (only)100 years old shipwreck was found in the Baltic sea. ..https://yle.fi/a/3-8212638
290 metric tons of copper. MAY have bout 10 kgs of gold. 34g per ton.
Welcome to your first post.
Yes if its old enough there are most likely some Gold.
The question about these things is they may have much greater value as archeological items or collectibles.

What most peoples buy in antique stores
is gold and silver items.

old copper items ,peoples don’t buy it much.

near by my home there is a flea market
the owner have lot of old stuff .
i have bought many old mining equipment and silverware ,because the history behind it.
soon i will go back for the copper items He still have it for very long time.
Because no one want to buy it.

in reality no one know the % of gold that those old copper items can have or maybe not.

I know for experience that many copper ore
have good amount of gold and silver and other minerals.

copper have been mined for thousands of years.
in the past when the old timer smelting the copper ore they don’t have a good way to separated copper from gold.

then many copper items can still have gold alloy and many gold items still have silver alloy.

i have seen 400 years old copper items with a tint that’s look like pink color .
those items have gold alloy in it.

the key is ,if you have some of those old copper items test it and see what it have.
Edited.

Last edited:
Henrik
And there’s also rumors that the Danish “Børsen’s” famous 400 years old roof was made of looted copper from the great castle in my hometown Borgholm, Öland, Sweden, when the Danish army attacked it and burned it down back in the days, when our king and his army was fighting somewhere else😕. So please, can we have it back now?😂
You can ship it home to me😏

Thanks everyone for their input and replies, appreciate it.

It sounds like it may actually be worthwhile besides the general interest-factor...
If you want to make money...start recycling copper bearing material and sell it to scapyard. No huss and fuss, clean and on spot money. No waste. Those old copper items are long gone.

Don`t run after a train that has already left.

Pete

I have about 18g of copper from the inside of a gold-filled picture locket.
I felt so sorry for the client, it was a relative from the late 1700s a lovely hand-painted portrait.
The gold was so thick that it looked like solid alloy, so she insisted on going forward despite my advising her to retain it intact.
As I slowly took it apart, first I found the back was a plated brass, then I found the cleverly manufactured gold surround, a thick gold layer on a brass sheet wrapped around this thick copper wire.
Such a pity if it had been solid alloy it would have helped her, but for the few pounds she will earn I would have thought the item intact would have been better.
But if anyone can be bothered to try and find the minute potential value in the copper, they are welcome.
Acid dissolution would likely be a waste of time, I think you might need an MGS to detect such a low content.
How would you test for gold parts per million?

I once stumbled upon an article where they said that old copper roof shingles contained a fair amount of Gold ( As far as I remember up to 5%!). That was because in those days it was difficult to separate Copper and Gold. I guess the buildings that still have these roof shingles are now under monument conservation...:ROFLMAO:

I once stumbled upon an article where they said that old copper roof shingles contained a fair amount of Gold ( As far as I remember up to 5%!). That was because in those days it was difficult to separate Copper and Gold. I guess the buildings that still have these roof shingles are now under monument conservation...:ROFLMAO:
I`m not saying that it is not true, but while in ancient times the craftsmen mastered the refining of gold, it is hard to believe that from 12-th to 20-th century they made copper items that still contained gold in high percentage...

But still, i don`t say it is impossible.. just more like improbable.. :)

Pete

Back