Geobotanical Prospecting

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have the Latin names for these plants. It would be nice to be able to look them up in a plant book and see them in non flowering form. It would be a shame to miss a significant find because the plant that should give away the find isn't in bloom!

Horsetails
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equisetum

Those plants on the facebook link have their scientific names in the photo details. Click on them, and they are in the description, as well as what they have an affinity for.

If it doesnt show up on your pc 4metals, i can write it down and post it here for you

BioGeoChemical Methods of Prospecting by D. P. Malyuga
Authorized translation from the Russian

Consultants Bureau New York 1964 205 pgs.

Amazon prices range between $80 - $110

Everything work exceptionally well for sucking Precious Minerals out of fluids and microscopic gold into their their root systems Alfalfa works extremely well and the easiest way to concentrate it is run it through a cow and process what comes out the back end and the other plant is cattails work exceptionally well both of these have been used in mining Reclamation in different situations to reclaim areas that needed to be reclaimed on mining operations and the beauty of it is they will take up the precious metals and then you just turn around and ask them Leach the ashes and recover the metal

rhwhite67 said:
Everything work exceptionally well for sucking Precious Minerals out of fluids and microscopic gold into their their root systems Alfalfa works extremely well and the easiest way to concentrate it is run it through a cow and process what comes out the back end and the other plant is cattails work exceptionally well both of these have been used in mining Reclamation in different situations to reclaim areas that needed to be reclaimed on mining operations and the beauty of it is they will take up the precious metals and then you just turn around and ask them Leach the ashes and recover the metal
Have you any documented evidence of someone actually processing bovine excrement for gold?
I find that hard to believe it sounds more like a false new story from the Onion or some other satirical site.

Is it documented no But Not False either. Do I know of someone who has done so, Yes and had the metal powder recovered assayed and it was mixed PMs plus some base. But based on his results it would take a lot of dried and ashed grade A #1 bovine manure to recover any appreciable amount. He did his recovery from dairy pond waste in Idaho. I have also seen results from ashed cattails from a mining waste pond reclamation test which was interesting but again not a direction I would personally bother with except as a gee does it actually work just for fun and curiousity? Also I was only suggesting that that is one way to concentrate the alfalfa. If you have an area that is high in concentration alfalfa will draw the minerals in slowly as it grows. So will dry hay and straw. A better way to concentrate them would be to ash the alfalfa. But just because it works does not make it a viable recovery / production system. Wish it were as I have access to some very high ppm PM bearing flows. Can honestly say don't wast your time, effort, or $ on carbon or resins. Have 122 cu/ft of resin with assays on the resin showing 5-6 lbs of PMs loaded on it but cannot get it off. The resin we used will not chemically elute. Ashing it is an absolute nightmare in rotten fish smelling stench and the refineries we sent it to burned it up and put the metals into their scrubbers and claimed there was nothing there despite having solid assays on the resin. Nice addition to their bottom line for the end of the year. Sorry, I digress.

For Geobotanical Prospecting the best results I ever saw was the cattails when ashed but I have heard of trees on gold bearing streams taking the PMs into their roots and it being found there in the cells.
I apologize if I made it seem like it was not real it does work but except for assisting in reclamation of waste ponds etc it would probably not be economically viable.
Ron

rhwhite67 said:
...it would take a lot of dried and ashed grade A #1 bovine manure ...
Ron

Who had that job.. Objectively grading and rating the poo, that is :shock: :lol:
That poor fella, I hope he got paid well.

rhwhite67 said:
Is it documented no But Not False either.
Sorry Ron
It douses strike me as off.
First, any mine tailings that have been associated with heavy metal production would be extremely contaminated with every other metal.
Normally even just the rain runoff is toxic and far too contaminated to even think about introducing to livestock.
I have seen some well-documented cases gold soils reduced by glucose or sodium oxalate that contained Au which is then used by plants to grow.
“phytomining” is an interesting study and may even help with prospecting.
But the only examples I can remember reading about that showed any visible gold return used a toxic spray to increase the absorption of Au.
This killed the plants in about two days but in that two days, they had absorbed exponentially more value.
My Aria of Devon has elevated amounts of gold with 90% dairy farms dispersed over the top.If there was gold in them cow's I would have herd of it.(Joke-Herd Not Heard because we is talking about cow dung.;))

I used a very similar technique referred to as phytoremediation. This technology was used by the team to cleanup up a site impacted by metals contamination. The primary plant was mustard plant (and there were several other plant species used as well) to uptake contamination consisting of heavy metals in the shallow surface soils. The project was either in Utah or Nevada and the plants needed to not only be drought tolerant, but also grow quickly. The vegetation was mowed every so often, the clippings collected and disposed of. It was a long term project and I recall it worked fairly decent. However, it only addressed the shallow surface soils, how deep, seem to remember not anything deeper that three feet. On another project, I seem to remember using creosote bush to cleanup polyaromatic hydrocarbons. These were both a while back, so the other details seem to obscure themselves, or maybe I just forget more now.

From the mining aspect, I am very sure that some species concentrate various metals better than others. However, the right species in the right place with the right soil chemistry, water chemistry, etc. is what would be required. I would also think that the less reactive the metal, the less opportunity or chance it could get taken up by the vegetation.

The volume of material requiring processing would probably be similar to the undertaking of extracting gold from seawater and probably wouldn't be very profitable at this present time.

Appreciate the pun... Herd. The guy that did it with the cow dung just did it with regular dairy manure no alfalfa used for remediation and yes using alfalfa from a remediation situation with the cattle would not be a good Idea for the cows or their milk. Herd about the mustard plants as well but as was suggested by geedigity "The volume of material requiring processing would probably be similar to the undertaking of extracting gold from seawater and probably wouldn't be very profitable at this present time."
May your pans always be full of gold gentlemen.
Ron

Back