CYLINDRICAL CELL

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eeTHr said:
goldsilverpro said:
You said that - Current is never "applied."

Are these 1.1 million hits on - "current applied" cathode - all wrong? Some of these sources sound very scholarly.
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22curre ... =firefox-a

This one I added the keyword, electrowinning. The first hit is the EPA site.
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22curre ... =firefox-a

I apply a specific amount of current to the cathode by altering the applied voltage. I would never say something so confusing, but it works.

GSP---

Your're right. They use the terms seemingly interchangeably. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me---because while you can apply a voltage to something (an open circuit, for example) and have no resulting current, you cannot apply just a "current" to anything, without some amount of voltage to "push" it.

Obviously, when someone says, "apply a current," they are, indeed, implying to use a voltage which will result in that amount of current flow. It just sounds wrong, that's all.

And in my opinion it can be confusing for people who are new to working with electricity. For example, certain ranges of voltage will cause different things to happen to different substances in electrolytic cells, while changes in the current flow will generally affect the rate at which those different things happen. I don't know very much about cells, other than what I've read (mostly on this forum), but a portion of what I have read has dealt with what I just mentioned. So I would think that it might be important not to confuse current with voltage, and the different ways they are used, with their different effects.

On a very strict technical level, the folks who used the term, "applied current" are misspeaking. Yet it is commonly acceptable. One example is the common term, "AC Voltage," when the AC stands for Alternating Current! It appears that quite awhile back, some people started using the term "current" as a substitute for "electricity." Very confusing. A better term would have been "Alternating Polarity" Voltage. But it's too late now. 8)

I appreciate your valued contribution item with different points of view.
If I serve my data who have served their purpose.

rena---

Sorry to have gotten off on a tangent from your topic.

Your contrabutions to the forum are much appreciated. Very nice work!

eeTHr said:
rena---

Sorry to have gotten off on a tangent from your topic.

Your contrabutions to the forum are much appreciated. Very nice work!
eeThr
A greeting my friend, I think we share many ideas in the forum.
renatomerino

4metals said:
Electrometals in Canada has a commercial version and sells the technology;
http://www.electrowinning.com/metal-markets/silver

What is Moebius cell bleed???

Mike

Moebius cell bleed would be electrolyte removed from a Moebius cell that is becoming saturated with copper (as when you refine sterling). The electrolyte removed is replaced with fresh copper free electrolyte.

I imagine the Electrometals system would then be used to remove the remaining silver from the spent electrolyte prior to wastewater treatment. Alternatively, it could be used as a replacement of a refining cell.

The Electrometals system is not cheap, you will need deep pockets.

Great thread to see bumped! And it appears that the bumper is the original poster of the cylindrical cell. Since this thread went dormant, another cell has been proposed by Deano and is discussed here;

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=21526&start=90

Perhaps Deano and Goldmet can weigh in on their respective systems, we can call it steel wool vs. carbon fiber.

I love this place! Sorry no great input on this subject from me. Just had to throw out there that this has been one of my favorite reads in a while. Well done gentleman. Informative, insightful and entertaining. Keep it up. :D Keeps my head busy. Thank you.

Refining Rick said:
I love this place! Sorry no great input on this subject from me. Just had to throw out there that this has been one of my favorite reads in a while. Well done gentleman. Informative, insightful and entertaining. Keep it up. :D Keeps my head busy. Thank you.
Ja ja this is a beautiful hobby.I found this little plant desorption of activated carbon and able to share this experience with you.

Attachments

• PL 13.jpg
    PL 13.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 188
These are planes of the cylindrical cell hope to clarify some points.

Attachments

• VISTA 4.docx
    51.4 KB · Views: 42
  • VISTA 3.docx
    95.1 KB · Views: 41
  • VISTA 2.docx
    66.3 KB · Views: 44
  • VISTA 1.docx
    70.7 KB · Views: 60
Great informative post

Is this same

https://youtu.be/mOh8OlguxJA

They have 2 different types of cells
1. Powder cell can deplete the solution to 1.5gpl.
2. POLISH cells to deplete the Ag upto 5ppm subject to impurity profile.

They claim to recover 20-25 kg of Ag per cell per day with 99.99+ purity
They have SS Cathode and Specially coated (or activated) Titanium anode. I think titanium is plated with platinum.

Regards
Hrushi60

Back