CW Ammen Recovery And Refining Of Precious Metals remastered

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kats12

Hi all
I remastered the book to be print friendly.
here is the link
deleted (Harold)
The book is now in pdf format, and the background of text is white so the consumption of ink should be normal...
I think it is automatically putted in landscape position in adobe acorbat , but you all should check that.
It is zipped in 7z format ,and the size of 7z archive is around 60mb.

Have happy printing and reading of this excellent book

Kats

Pdf is in my second post here

Yup i tried and got it, sorry it's really not worth downloading, too much missing an a few too many assumptions.

Just my opinion

Deano

Hmm its 7z , try using power archiver to unzip it. the pdf is 116mb...
Ill put original pdf also..this time on fileserve, it is fast in my country.
Could You Deano elaborate, it seems that all pages are present, i don't get it what is missing?
I remastered the book in djvu format found here on forum...
pdf:
deleted (Harold)

I printed it and it is fine to me... I mean the book , some parts of knowledge in it is incomplete...that is true...
but it is a good starting book...

well have fun all

Kats

This was also converted from DJVU using an OCR application the pdf file is only 6.6 megs,

I left out the front cover and cleaned up the images.

Removed the file, book is still covered by copyright.

Rusty

Its nice , I also considered using OCR - Abby fine reader 9.0
But it is a pain to clear it up, and the 2 pages together is the best way of saving paper so I let it alone...
well you could post it before,so that I would save some time... :)
because when i downloaded original i decided to clear it up so that I could print it so...and decide it to share it with you.
And yes some nice soul that bought 2 edition of Ammen might be nice and scan it ...hopefully... :lol:

Have fun all

Kats

Morning All – I would like to retract my last statement regarding this book, I apologies profusely. :oops:

I must have opened the wrong file, this one looks OK, I need to sit down and read it through before I comment again. :lol:

Again - Sorry Rusty.

Deano

Kats12 said:
Its nice , I also considered using OCR - Abby fine reader 9.0

Kats

Abby is a nifty optical character reader application, people have no idea the time it takes to proof and clean up a 300+ page book, I have a thing for old tractor and equipment manuals, I archive everyone I get my hands on using OCR during the long winter months.

Regards
Rusty

goldsilverpro said:
I downloaded it with no problems and used UnRar to unzip it. Worked fine. I just didn't care for the side-by-side pages.

Here's an 8 meg pdf that I once converted from the DJVU file that was floating around. I don't know how printable it is - possibly not great. It is single pages.

Anyone have the 2nd edition?

I got it yesterday , its good with pictures ...but its seems to be a replica of the earlier one ....

deano
Ammen surpasses Hoke in that he stresses intimate understanding of chemical processes, explaining them in detail, also using familiarization.
I printed mine, finally, 3 hole punched it, and used extra margins for my notes.
Just my dos centavos

I'm concerned about the posting of this work, which is most assuredly copyrighted. That puts Noxx in a very bad position. Have the moderators that have read and commented given that any thought?

I deleted the first posting to protect him from legal issues. I'm puzzled why it has been replaced with yet another.

Harold

Thanks, 4metals.

Moderators should be quick to delete anything that is at risk of violation of the copyright laws. Anything posted that is in violation puts Noxx at risk of legal trouble, and also threatens the existence of this forum.

Harold

I did not download this book. But I did download Hoke's Refining Precious Metals Wastes from this forum.

For my own information, what is the difference between these two downloads with respect to copyright and legal issues.

Is Hoke's book part of public domain and therefore not subject to copyright laws?

Or, was Hoke's book never copyrighted?

I am not questioning whether or not these books should or should not be posted on this forum. I just want to know for my own education what the difference is.

Also, can anyone comment or give a brief review of CW Ammen's book? Is it written for the novice like Hoke? Or is it graduate level and technical in nature?

I value Hoke's book because it is written so that almost anyone can understand it. And it has minimal technical jargon.

Thank You - kadriver

kadriver said:
I did not download this book. But I did download Hoke's Refining Precious Metals Wastes from this forum.

For my own information, what is the difference between these two downloads with respect to copyright and legal issues.

Is Hoke's book part of public domain and therefore not subject to copyright laws?

Or, was Hoke's book never copyrighted?

I am not questioning whether or not these books should or should not be posted on this forum. I just want to know for my own education what the difference is.

Also, can anyone comment or give a brief review of CW Ammen's book? Is it written for the novice like Hoke? Or is it graduate level and technical in nature?

I value Hoke's book because it is written so that almost anyone can understand it. And it has minimal technical jargon.

Thank You - kadriver
This touches on the issue I wondered about - copyright laws in an international forum.

A serious collector of historical music gems could find a plethora ("Would you say, el Jefe, that I have a plethora of pinatas?" {obscure "Three Amigos" movie reference}) copies of sessions, tracks, & etc., of material from German producers/distributors (I remember barely, and possibly, inaccurately - "Bear Records"), but available, legally, by mail or i-net.

Should the diehard collector buy them, or not? I would bet you U.S dollars to Dutch donuts, that there are some here that have bought such recordings (not me - not because I'm that righteous, but because I never have the money at the right time :cry: )

Is this a matter of "Governing Law" (a sales tax issues in the United States for internet purchases, as well as some other business, confusingly tied to "residence of record" [is that the correct expression?], an issue I am not very familiar with) or is it governed by the laws of poster, or downloader, or Big Brother 8) , [you see where I'm going with this]?

I don't believe we should steal from anyone, but on the other hand, we should be careful about judging too harshly ones who have live and submit to laws different than our own.

I'm just saying ...

To be perfectly clear------I'm not trying to pass any moral judgments in my position on copyright. What I am trying to do is prevent a lawsuit for our founder. What you guys do is your business---just don't shift responsibility to Noxx. Do what ever it is that you feel you must do, but don't do it on the forum.

Harold

Harold, I agree with you. I do not want to have anything to do with improperly gotten goods - no matter how much I can save doing it.

Not because I am righteous, but because I can sleep better at night.

I personally support you in this matter and am glad that you did what you did. I also commend you for exercising proper use of your authority as a moderator.

You set a good example for the rest of us.

kadriver

It would appear that the copyright on the Hoke book has expired, but on the Ammen book it is still in effect.

But I'm not an expert on copyrights, so did I assume correctly?

Thank you!

I have a job to do here, and I do it. When I don't do it, I should be replaced by someone that will.

Harold

Back