Creating pure silver shot

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A hose of compressed air plugged to the side of the water tank, bubbling air furiously in the water, makes nice flakes/shot for digesting. Not as good and uniform as an atomizer though. Nice photos 4metals!. 8)

I like to keep the crucible very close to the water, that's where iced water excels as you have no agitation to splash and contact the hot crucible / shot box. Short of ice cold water a mixer or mechanical mixing swirling the water around is second in terms of splash. Air agitation is last as it is difficult to control splash and the crucible must be raised.

In the quest for perfect little round spheres, close to the water is important.

I would think it would not. My guess is you would get a column of gold if you tried this. The natural deflection would be restricted and the restriction of the motion may be an issue. I would think steam explosions would also result. This could be mitigated if your shot vessel were in motion, but I don't see it as practical. Much easier to put the cold water in motion i think.

4metals said:
In the quest for perfect little round spheres, close to the water is important.

I am getting ready to pour some silver shot, just a few ounces. This post was very benficial.

I was going to use a small (2 1/2 inch) melt dish. But I think a red hot crucible would be better.

In your photos, it looks like the hot crucible is only about an inch or two from the surface of the water.

That gold shot is indescribably gorgeous!

kadriver

Back