Chemicals(particularly HCL).in Australia

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Melbourne I have been able on 2 occasions to purchase the big 4L(?) (Might be 5) brown glass bottles of Concentrated (fuming) Nitric Acid from a crowd called Melbourne Etching Supplies.

I’m not sure why they add the titanium to the Hydrochloric Acid but I notice no one mentioned Muriatic Acid, which is just a technical grade of Hydrochloric Acid. Here in the US home stores sell it as it has use cleaning up dried cement. Maybe it is available down under?

Chemical supply companies do not add titanium to HCl as such.
What happens is that technical grade HCl is used to clean mineral sands concentrates as part of the mining process.
The spent acid which contains titanium is then sold by retailers as lower grade HCl, much cheaper than virgin HCl.
Much of this acid is used in construction for cleaning cement from bricks and formwork.
These uses do not require the use of virgin HCL as the lower HCl concentration works well but at a lower cost.
If you look at the labels on these HCl containers you will see that the strength is lower than the 32% technical grade, usually around 28%.
Deano

Have you thought about destillation? Big supplier that sells big canisters tends to be better quality.

The price of nitric in some parts is friggin outrageous.

Hello all!

Really thankful for this forum, has been very informative and many friendly members keen to share years of knowledge!

I have been facing hurdles from the start with regards to certain chemicals being available in Australia, but as I continue to grow/learn, these hurdles are becoming more problematic.

The main issue is my source for HCL. I have read a few posts which helped me identify it was the HCL causing issues, however was unable to find a solution/supplier. Essentially all store bought HCL in Australia contain a trace of titanium dioxide, which makes it impossible for me to make stannous chloride solution, as it instantly reacts with the titanium dioxide, turning purple.

Also, my AP solution starts blood red when H2O2 is added. Not sure how this would affect the base metal dissolution, however it seems to be fine for the most Part. I've been successfully reusing AP/CuCl2 and there doesn't appear to be any issues.

However, I cannot test if gold is in solution at any stage so I am essentially working blind.

I have tried so many different HCLs. Some MSDS says HCL (either 32% or 34.5%), water, and titanium dioxide (<1%), and some say HCL, water and 'secret' ingredients. All have the same effect when dissolving tin, or mixed with Hydrogen Peroxide.

These are (all 5L)

BUNNINGS:
Bondall - Pool Acid 32% (white bottle)
Bondall - muratic Acid 32% (black bottle)

MITRE 10:
Barracuda- Liquid Pool acid 32%

CLARKE RUBBER:
Filtrite liquid Pool acid 34.5% (white bottle)
Filtrite liquid Pool acid 34.5% (black bottle)

I cannot find another store bought HCL, and don't want to buy random items off the internet, and waste more $$. Hoping someone in Austrlaia has already figured it out and can point me to the right place to acquire HCL with impurities that don't affect gold refining, and allow me to make a batch of stannous chloride.

I don't think Austrlia has Nitric acid for sale in a store - was going to purchase off SSA website, but thought I would ask the question in case first!

Thanks all!

Matt
Hi,

For AP solution I always use plain limescale remover HCl with a concentration of 20% with no other contaminants present, just plain old HCl. I found that this is more than enough for AP and is dirt cheap compared to higher concentration ones and is available at any small markets and neighborhood stores.

If you buy larger quantities is even cheaper.

Just an idea if you have issues with your liquid.

Pete

Have you thought about destillation? Big supplier that sells big canisters tends to be better quality.

The price of nitric in some parts is friggin outrageous.
HCl azeotrope is around 21% which is the highest you will manage with distillation.
So too much work for little gain, and HCl/Muriatic will be cheap and available in 10-20 % anywhere I think.

Back