7g of 'free' 18k

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrystAG

I was given approx 1.3ozt of abandoned silver jewlery projects in a jar labelled 'Scrap'.
Buried amongst the filings was a silver coloured chain with a broken fastening.
My assumption being it was silver so proceeded to the acids to test out the first iteration of this scrubber i have been working on.

As you may have surmised from the title of the thread, all that was left over in the blue solution was an untouched silver coloured chain.
Inspecting the hallmarks it is marked as '750' and weighs 7.12g.

The right thing to do is return this i think.

The right thing to do is return this i think.
Depends on the deal you made when receiving it. I have returned karat gold when the deal was made not allowing me room to keep it. I have gotten several pieces of karat gold in batch’s of gold filled with no catch to return it. Or in several cases no way to contact the seller. I have also received white karat gold when buying silver, again some returned and some with no way to contact the seller. I once bought over 20 grams of 14K to 18K gold chains for $8 after the seller saying the price was correct due to the fact they were broken and no one wanted broken jewelry. I actually worked with him later to buy items at a fair price and we both remained happy until his death. Who knows what is going through some people’s mind when selling stuff!?

If you can contact the seller maybe be honest with him, it might lead to a long term business deal good for both parties.

Fair point. Though i didnt buy the material. I was given it to try a' low risk' dissolution to get the quenching setup 'right'. I have contacted the silversmith and explained the outcome. Lets see what happens.

Attachments

• 438223310_1118983822725640_7757723345537223294_n.jpg
    438223310_1118983822725640_7757723345537223294_n.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 1
Well now, i did not strike whilst the iron was hot.
I returned the gold.
The silversmith told me today that they 'sold' the chain onto a' We buy your gold' type store and got scalped.
Why did i not offer to but it at the time?
Live and learn.

But if you had, he may have felt scalped by you. Now, you look like a hero, and you can let him know that in the future you will pay better than the we buy gold place. You may have lost the battle, but you can still win the war.

Dave
Now that is the perfect perspective. Thanks!

Back