I guess you'd call it a Copper(II)Chloride generator?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acidrain

Supporting Member
I'm getting things ready to strip the foils off of goldfingers and made this.
It's two 2 gallon buckets, one perforated for the inner and the outer has a vet hole for generated gasses.
Inside there's 1/4 air tubing with #60 holes drilled in it for aeration with small bubbles.

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0337.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 0
Well damn! I didn't think of checking to see if the plastic fittings I used on the poly hose were acid proof. I opened the lid when I got home feom work this evening and found that the AP solution ate the tee fitting I used on the nice circular aerator I made 😳.
I deleted that and just dunked the hose down to the bottom.
Lesson - Check ALL parts used for compatibility with a system.

I put 1045g tightly trimmed fingers in the strainer bucket. Then poured 1 gallon hydrochloric acid in and about 1oz 3% hydrogen peroxide. I let it bubble away for 3 weeks and every day I'd open it up and agitate the the solution and fingers.
Today I separated the solution from the fingers and with a spray bottle washed every bit of fingers to get all the foils off and then vacuum filtered the copper(2)chloride solution and wash water and got a very nice lot of foils 😁

Attachments

• IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg
    732.5 KB · Views: 0
This was how I learned to recover gold. Using exactly this setup. My buckets are still good from 2011, so you don't have a lot to worry about. ;)

Jon
Yup, same with me. If you just doing work with acid, it will last for eternity. However, if you add oxidizer (AR, nitric...), PP and PE start to harden (as plasticizers in the plastic start to degrade) and become more brittle. Add higher temperatures and it will eventually crack and spill the contents. Happened to my refining partner about three times. Bigger 50L barrel, HDPE.
Then, we used classic "blue" HDPE barrels just for several dissolutions and called them "retired" - subsequently used for waste storage (filtered metal/hydroxide/dried chlorides sludge).

Back