Induction Heater Plans

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazersteve

Staff member
All,

Since the weather has not been favorable for refining and filming outdoors here in 'sunny' Florida, I've spent a few days on my upcoming Induction Heating project for melting precious metals.

I located an excellent video on you tube where a gent named Karim demonstrates a do-it-yourself induction heater that melts steel.

Induction Heating

I dug around the web a bit and located his hand drawn schematics of the device.

I ordered all the parts Monday for mine and finished up redrawing his schematics just now. After getting his permission to post a modified version of his project I've decided to share it with the group.

Schematics

This project is very straight forward and requires only two specialized parts. I'll be posting my progress on my site and linking to the project videos here.

I've ordered extra parts for those that may be interested in building one. I estimate the total cost of the project components is less than $500.

Steve

Randy,

I've been hunting the internet for this exact device. Small, easy to build, simple design, and powerful (3KW +).

The guy who designed it said with a few minor mods it can reach 10KW!

I want to melt my gold and other PMs in a few seconds without any flame. 8)

I've got some more ideas for it also.

Here's an outline of my plans:

Step 1. Gather the parts.

Step 2. Build the rig.

Step 3. Post the videos.

Step 4. Integrate the device into my refining routines.

Two boxes of parts arrived at my door today.

I should have all my components by this time next week if all goes well. :wink:

Stay tuned I'll keep this thread updated with more news.

Steve

Steve,
Thanks for sharing this with us. I also
have been looking into a project like
this, ever since I saw this link;

http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2003/november/toaster.htm

Jim

Jim,

I saw that one several months ago also. I noticed they used a couple of Microwave oven transformers in the design.

When my mine is finished, it should weigh about half as much. :)

Steve

All,

If you downloaded the schematics prior to this post (1/25/08 8:33 CST), please download the updated version and repalce the old version.

The latest version has a different L2 coil arrangement and a few modifications to the coils.

I'm working out the coil details of the print with the designer and it may change again so keep an eye on this thread if you are interested.

Sorry for the changes, my website will always have the latest versions available.

Steve

I use a waste oil fired furnace to melt my metals (aluminum, brass, bronze my refractory isn't adequate for temps needed to melt steel but I have been able to do it in he past (sacrificing the refractory))

How much power will this furnace use, waste oil is pretty much a free fuel for me. Do you ahve an estimate on cost of running. I'm sorry if it's answered in the video's I'm unable to wath them. Building a flameless furnace has been on my mind for a while since the neighbours started complaining..

Jason said:
So what do you figure in the end this furnace is going to cost you to build?

Jason,

I just got the quote on the last parts this morning, looks like around $375 to buy everything needed.

Gotrek,

Welcome to the forum,

The operational costs of the furnace will be low compared to a conventional electric furnace due to the accelerated heating rate of induction furnaces.

The average cost per kilowatt hour in the US as of March 2006 was 9.86 cents per kWh. The unit described draws 3kW per hour of operation, or 29.58 cents per hour to operate (slightly more at todays kWh prices). At 3kW the unit can melt a hardened steel socket in less than 60 seconds.

Steve

I didn't either until just now. I have some of those parts already, some of the semionductors and transformers I* bet most people here have 1/4 of those parts already.

wonder what he was trying to use as a crucible? that falure was kinda interesting.

Jim

Back