Reduce Pd-dmg with formic acid???

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good night guys... I own 400 grams of PD-DMG yellow salt, it's been a few days since I've kept the salt in a container, so it's completely dry, without any moisture. I would like to reduce the PD-DMG salt with formic acid, how should I proceed?

So should I moisten it again before doing the process with formic acid? And if so, could you help me to reduce PD-DMG with formic acid?

Good night guys... I own 400 grams of PD-DMG yellow salt, it's been a few days since I've kept the salt in a container, so it's completely dry, without any moisture. I would like to reduce the PD-DMG salt with formic acid, how should I proceed?
Formic acid works for Pd solution, while PdDMG is solid

First of all you should not have let it dry out

Secondly - as Lino 1406 said formic is used to drop Pd from a solution - not reduce the PdDMG salt --- Edit to add; - this is a complicated method & works best on relatively clean solutions - not so well if there are a lot of other metals (&/or other junk) in the solution

I may be wrong but years ago I believe there was info posted about using formic to reduce Pd salts but the process was VERY COMPLICATED with "several" steps needed & getting Ph just right at each step

There are MUCH easier ways to reduce the PdDMG salt

The first is calcination which is heating a thin layer of salt at about 700 F (I think I got the temp right without looking at my notes)

The second would be to use ion exchange where in you mix the PdDMG in with zinc & HCl - the HCl causes the zinc to dissolve thereby causing an ion exchange between the zinc & the salt allowing the salt to reduce to actual Pd (somewhat like tumbling AgCl with iron & sulfuric acid)

In both these cases you want to start with the PdDMG salt being moist/wet --- drying the salt out causes the salt to cake/clump which may (or not) inhibit getting complete reduction - even if you re-wet it - somewhat like the same reason we tell people not to let their AgCl dry out

I have used both methods but I have never let the salt dry out so can't really say how drying out will effect completeness of reduction

Kurt

Last edited:
Hokes book covers this relatively detailed if I'm not mistaken.
So we go back to Hoke once more, the details her writings impress me quite often
There may be less involved ways of doing it in today's settings but still this is how she did it.

Fabricio I hope you have read C.M. Hokes book already, if not it's your loss.
Download it and read it.

https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=19798

First of all you should not have let it dry out

Secondly - as Lino 1406 said formic is used to drop Pd from a solution - not reduce the PdDMG salt --- Edit to add; - this is a complicated method & works best on relatively clean solutions - not so well if there are a lot of other metals (&/or other junk) in the solution

I may be wrong but years ago I believe there was info posted about using formic to reduce Pd salts but the process was VERY COMPLICATED with "several" steps needed & getting Ph just right at each step

There are MUCH easier ways to reduce the PdDMG salt

The first is calcination which is heating a thin layer of salt at about 700 F (I think I got the temp right without looking at my notes)

The second would be to use ion exchange where in you mix the PdDMG in with zinc & HCl - the HCl causes the zinc to dissolve thereby causing an ion exchange between the zinc & the salt allowing the salt to reduce to actual Pd (somewhat like tumbling AgCl with iron & sulfuric acid)

In both these cases you want to start with the PdDMG salt being moist/wet --- drying the salt out causes the salt to cake/clump which may (or not) inhibit getting complete reduction - even if you re-wet it - somewhat like the same reason we tell people not to let their AgCl dry out

I have used both methods but I have never let the salt dry out so can't really say how drying out will effect completeness of reduction

Kurt

I did a test with 8g of pd-dmg dry salt, I put it in boiling water regia, until the pd-dmg completely dissolved, the solution turned reddish, so I threw aluminum and in a matter of 20 minutes, the solution was grayish, the metals were changed, the aluminum was completely dissolved and the PD was reduced to black, I did the fusion and the palladium was very beautiful. Thank you all...

Attachments

• VID-20230809-WA0000.mp4
    11.3 MB
Back