Preparation for refinement

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand, as I wrote, it still dissolves in hydrochloric acid, it will have a brown color. I also understand that the remaining nitric acid must be removed from it. I cleaned the gold, so it looks better, first I boiled it in distilled water until the ph was around 7, then hydrochloric acid, then distilled water again.

Attachments

• tttt.jpg
    tttt.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
What do you mean by roasting? Do I put it in a beaker and bake it completely dry?

No it is not just a matter of drying it

You have to actually bring it up HIGHER roasting temp

So you need something like a propane camp stove or a propane turkey frier that you can put a stainless steal pan/pot on

You want enough heat that it will get the bottom of the SS pan/pot to get RED HOT (or at least very near red hot) & you want the material you are roasting to make good contact with the bottom of the pan/pot --- as well you want oxygen to make contact with the material you are roasting

So - you want the material in the bottom of the pan/pot to be a thin layer of material & as well give it a good stirring from time to time (every minute or two - several times) to insure all the material makes contact with the bottom of the pan/pot as well as all getting exposed to oxygen

That (roasting) is what "drives" off the nitrates &/or chlorides which provides for the conversion of metal salts to actual metals or oxides of metals (instead of metal nitrates or metal chlorides which are metal salts)

In other words - some metal salts - such as metastannic acid (tin paste) wont dissolve in acids - so you have to convert them to there actual metals or oxides of there metals to make them soluble in acids & you do that by "roasting" them --- roasting is also sometimes called calcining - &/or even sometimes referred to as incinerating

Kurt

Are you sure it's good for what you think? As I wrote, adding hydrochloric acid turns it dark brown, then black, and it seemed to dissolve it. Couldn't it be a different material?

Are you sure it's good for what you think? As I wrote, adding hydrochloric acid turns it dark brown, then black, and it seemed to dissolve it. Couldn't it be a different material?
Then it is not pure or it has other elements in it.
You are in the end of the product and has the opportunity to see and check.
We are at the mercy of the information you give us.

first I boiled it in distilled water until the ph was around 7, then hydrochloric acid, then distilled water again.

When washing your gold powder you do not need to use distilled water - you can use tap water - again - you are working with chlorides in the first place (your AR is a chloride & your HCl is a chloride) so the chloride/chlorine in tap water is not a problem when washing your gold

You just don't want to use tap water when working with silver - unless you "intend" to make silver chloride

That is why we use distilled water when working with silver

Kurt

When washing your gold powder you do not need to use distilled water - you can use tap water - again - you are working with chlorides in the first place (your AR is a chloride & your HCl is a chloride) so the chloride/chlorine in tap water is not a problem when washing your gold

You just don't want to use tap water when working with silver - unless you "intend" to make silver chloride

That is why we use distilled water when working with silver

Kurt
Ok, our water is very hard, (water scale) I don't know how the translator translates this, there are a lot of minerals in the tap water around here. I don't know if it doesn't pollute the final result?

What Yaggdrasil said --------
Then it is not pure or it has other elements in it.
You are in the end of the product and has the opportunity to see and check.
We are at the mercy of the information you give us.

Kurt

Ok, our water is very hard, (water scale) I don't know how the translator translates this, there are a lot of minerals in the tap water around here. I don't know if it doesn't pollute the final result?

You don't need to yell at me (use ALL caps) you can use distilled water if you want to - I am simply saying you don't have to - tap water (even hard water) will work fine & will not contaminate your gold - any minerals that "may" be in it will not "alloy" with the gold because they are salts - they will be such small traces that they will end up in the borax glaze of you melting dish

Kurt

You don't need to yell at me (use ALL caps) you can use distilled water if you want to - I am simply saying you don't have to - tap water (even hard water) will work fine & will not contaminate your gold - any minerals that "may" be in it will not "alloy" with the gold because they are salts - they will be such small traces that they will end up in the borax glaze of you melting dish

Kurt
Hi, I didn't yell at you, the font was like that by accident, it wasn't intentional, sorry

Back