Need a HCN gas detector

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very quick up date - Saturday I stared the recovery of the gold from the PGC salts I received

I have finished 5 batches & have 3 left to do (doing 5 liter batches with 200 grams of the salt dissolved in each batch)

Concerning the HCN detector - all work has gone without incident - UNTIL yesterday morning wherein the detector was set off :eek: :oops:

So I am VERY GLAD that I spent the $400 for the detector - especially being as I am one of those people that DOES NOT smell HCN

I will post more details as to how & why the detector was set off - as well as details of project/process when I get more time which is likely to be another week (plus/minus)

Kurt
Looking forward for your details, be safe mate.

The further you go with the electrolysis and turning the current up, and the lower the metal content gets the more HCN is gassed off.

Have you tried Draeger?

I have worked with many companys that handle NaCN/KCN solutions and never saw a detector for it, as it is always handled in fume hood. Also you can smell the cyanide (that almond smell). If you can smell you need to take action, and perhaps get out.
I don't see a detector playing a role that your nose doesn't fullfill (If you can smell cyanide, some people can't)
Almonds and apple seeds contain cyanide as a biodefense. Peach pits and cashews too I believe.

Back