Electroextraction of PGM from HCl solution.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smdtranz

Hello everyone
I have a big volume (few tons) of a weak Pd+Pt solution in HCl with pH around 1-1.4.
around 0.5-1 g/l, also 10-15 g/l of sum of Na, Ca, Al in chlorides.
Known that PMs are in form of complex chlorides and forming [PdCl4]-- and [PtCl4]-- complex ions in this case.
Is it possible to precipitate this metals by electrolysis?
How fully it wil run?
Thank you for answer :)

So far as I know, you want to use electrolysis on fairly saturated clean solutions to obtain good electrical efficiency of the process. I only know that electrolysis of PGMs solutions is fairly unusable for separate one from another in general. But with 0,5g/L PGMs, the current efficiency will be very poor, producing lots of oxidizing gases arising from electrolysis to obtain some sane current densities (my opinion).

But for scavenging them... Maybe it will be simpler to just cement them out on something.
As you named Na, Ca and Al already in solution... Why not to use iron/aluminium for cementation ?
I maybe see the point of not creating pools of liquid waste, but if there is no other contaminant such as copper or other reducible metals like nickel or tin, why not go with bulk iron sheet or bulk aluminium ingot to precipitate them out ? Even if some copper/tin/nickel etc is present, you will remove it from the huge ammount of liquid, which ease the disposal process issues. And concentrate the values into something very compact.

Ready to melt and purify by electrolysis. Or dissolved very easily (very fine powder created) in AR and processed with hydrometallurgy.
For that small ammount of PGMs, there will be no big consumption of metal anyway. With aluminium, there will be beter charge-mass ratio for cementation = meaning much less weight of aluminium will be dissolved, than eg iron for the same purpose. And with pH around 1, HCl isn´t particularly strong (I doubt that it is stronger than 1%, but it could be measured by titration), so reaction of HCl with eg iron won´t be fast. Good agitation of the liquid with pump or mixer will speed the process quite a bit.

Minimal unnecessary contamination with iron will happen, and acidity will go way down (closer to fulfill the enviromental/official measures of what you can safely pour down the drain/river) after treatment. Maybe even beneficial to do it like this :)

Hello everyone
I have a big volume (few tons) of a weak Pd+Pt solution in HCl with pH around 1-1.4.
around 0.5-1 g/l, also 10-15 g/l of sum of Na, Ca, Al in chlorides.
Known that PMs are in form of complex chlorides and forming [PdCl4]-- and [PtCl4]-- complex ions in this case.
Is it possible to precipitate this metals by electrolysis?
How fully it wil run?
Thank you for answer :)
So there is a process that I'm currently working on and developing for material I have access to, and have a lot of in large amounts like you. However, mine is not in an aqueous state like yours..... yet. There's a patent I'm referencing to develop my process that may be very beneficial in what you're wanting to achieve. It most certainly is not an easy thing or cheap to setup, and will take you time to develop your own way of going about it, especially safely. The basic idea is to have a leach tank, anode tank, titanium anode/cathode with a cation permeable membrane in between the two, a power source, and a pump to continuously circulate a concentrated hydrochloric acid solution containing platinum and palladium ions. Orvi is most definitely right on the purity aspect, so this may not be the right process for you to go with at the moment. If you look up the patent, there's more detailed information on the process and connected processes required with adjoining patents, easily multiple months worth of reading and even longer to research and development on your end. The patent filed Aug 10 1981, is currently expired, so last one to create a new successful process is a rotten egg.

Attachments

• US4382845-drawings-page-2.png
    US4382845-drawings-page-2.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 26
The Eco goldex company does have this though. They do have a Titanium cathode for it. I would check with them about running your solution through it, or if it would work for your needs.

Attachments

• Automatic-Gold-Recovery-Electrowinning-System1.jpg
    Automatic-Gold-Recovery-Electrowinning-System1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 16
Back