buchner funnel size?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually found a three piece set of Coors in 3cm, 5cm and a 110cm in a yard sell for $20

The 3 cm are good for assays, pretty small for any refining. The 110 cm is huge, the biggest Coors made standard in porcelain was 32 cm. Is the 110 cm a flat tabletop buchner in plastic?

unless you mean 11 cm, or 4.3 inches?

Still an odd collection for a yard sale, likely a small time drug maker having a going out of business sale!

I prefer drying silver from a silver cell in a stainless steel spin drier, it's fast and the centrifugal motion gets the moisture off efficiently, better than a funnel with suction. A cascading rinse system followed by a spin.

Edit because mr spell check substituted centripetal for centrifugal, big difference.
That is a neat thing to use, unfortunately I no longer have one in my possession. You can "retrofit" older washing machine with quality stainless steel drum, but it is questionable how long it will last (depend on the processing route of silver, low acidity nitrate solutions are relatively OK with stainless, but rubber is the issue here).

I used to do "reversed frit filtration" for most of the small/mid-scaled work. Modified 50L HDPE drum as collection "flask", PVC hose attached to the stem of large 20 cm diameter frit, which was thrown into the suspension. Much more efficient than plain decantation (and yeah, still less efficient than centrifuge). Silver cement can be usually bit "squeezed" in the frit/barrel to extract some more juice out of it, but not that much gain anyway.

I always needed to do at least 2 washes to obtain workable product (original liquor sucked out + 2 washes with whatever washing solution/water). But ease of handling is nice, as there is no need to transfer the cake anywhere. Suck, remove frit, add water/washing solution, mix with drill mixer, suck again... :)

Back