CYLINDRICAL CELL

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renatomerino

This is a cylindrical cell that I built with PVC pipe 6 inches in diameter and 40 inches high overall.
The main body is 28 inches long heads are 12 inches high each.
The cathode is stainless steel plate 304 of 0.15 mm thick and is connected with a bolt 3/4 stainless steel also.
The anode is constructed of 1 m from 304L stainless steel pipe with a welded steel disc at one end and a thread of 1 inch to close the cell in the other.
The anode or central axis is connected to the positive pole of the power supply and the plate cylinder acts as cathode and is connected to the negative pole of the power supply.
Feeding the lower and upper outlet are tangential and have a diameter of 1 1/2 inch.
The working voltage of the cell is 2.2 and the silver deposit has reached 3 kg. for each cell.
The flow of solution in the cell is 60 lt / min.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,502
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,502
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,502
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,502
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,502
PVC tubing has 3/8 in thickness and is glued with hot air welding PVC.

Attachments

• 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,497
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,497
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,497
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,497
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,497
These are the latest pictures.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,496
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,496
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 1,496
When a layer of steel wool cell range is gold recovery from 0.1gr/lt to 0.001gr/lt.
When placed as cathode stainless steel plate the silver recuperacione is from 20 g / l to 0.05 g / l.

Very interesting. What are you producing from what? What solution? What yield per day? You have hardly given us a hint of what you're really doing. The only thing I caught onto was that, at the end, you shi* out some nice looking cathode silver. How did you do all this and why should I care? Both valid questions.

goldsilverpro said:
Very interesting. What are you producing from what? What solution? What yield per day? You have hardly given us a hint of what you're really doing. The only thing I caught onto was that, at the end, you shi* out some nice looking cathode silver. How did you do all this and why should I care? Both valid questions.

Had me a little puzzled to.

I am impressed, nice cell, I also am curious of the solution, as this seems similar how they recover silver from the x-ray or film solutions, I also have a few more questions, what is the liner outside of the steel wool (stainless steel?), and what type of current draw from power supply (the size of wire makes me think of considerable amperage.

Also you mention gold, I did not understand, are you also trying to plate gold out of some solution.

You started a nice post; we are just hungry for the rest of the story.
We seem to have been left in the dark room here.

If he believes this device/set-up is patent-able this may be intended as first notice, or public notice, or as dated proof of development. I don't know the correct terminology but we used something similar to protect jewelry designs back in the 80s. We used newspaper ads though. If has everything - dated images and description, even his image with the device with a witness.
Just my dos centavos

Hello all , how are tricks?
I hope all is well!
dtectr said:
If he believes this device/set-up is patent-able this may be intended as first notice, or public notice, or as dated proof of development. I don't know the correct terminology but we used something similar to protect jewelry designs back in the 80s. We used newspaper ads though. If has everything - dated images and description, even his image with the device with a witness.
Just my dos centavos
This reminds me of an old music industry trick I was once told about.
If you write a half decent tune and want to send a copy to a record label to have proffesionaly marketed and distributed , beforehand send yourself a couple of copies of said tune (used to be cassette tapes , I gues CD's will suffice these days , :roll: :lol: ) in sealed and stamped self addressed envelopes , to different addresses , by *registered mail , before sending it off to a label.
This way , if there is any discrepancies or your tune is copied or ripped off , you have an official sealed package containing a copy of your tune , dated before the rip-off was released.
I don't know if this can help anybody at some point , but I feel it's a handy tip.
All the best everybody , and kind regards ,
Chris :mrgreen:

goldsilverpro said:
You are right the main concept is that with this cylindrical cell can recover dissolved metals such as silver or gold by leaching.
This shape facilitates the handling electrowinning solution besides having higher performance.
This cell is an alternative to zinc precipitation with silver or gold.
The weld metal is very pure and easy to melt.
In my case recovered silver leaching solutions 15gr/lt silver and 8 g / l of free cyanide.
The current that is 8 Amp load per cell and 2.8 kg of silver each cell in 6 days of operation.

butcher said:
I am impressed, nice cell, I also am curious of the solution, as this seems similar how they recover silver from the x-ray or film solutions, I also have a few more questions, what is the liner outside of the steel wool (stainless steel?), and what type of current draw from power supply (the size of wire makes me think of considerable amperage.

Also you mention gold, I did not understand, are you also trying to plate gold out of some solution.

You started a nice post; we are just hungry for the rest of the story.
We seem to have been left in the dark room here.
I personally use these cells to recover silver and gold from cyanide leach solutions but also hope to recover silver and gold thiosulfate leach solutions.

kuma said:
Hello all , how are tricks?
I hope all is well!
dtectr said:
Just my dos centavos
This reminds me of an old music industry trick I was once told about.
If you write a half decent tune and want to send a copy to a record label to have proffesionaly marketed and distributed , beforehand send yourself a couple of copies of said tune (used to be cassette tapes , I gues CD's will suffice these days , :roll: :lol: ) in sealed and stamped self addressed envelopes , to different addresses , by *registered mail , before sending it off to a label.
This way , if there is any discrepancies or your tune is copied or ripped off , you have an official sealed package containing a copy of your tune , dated before the rip-off was released.
I don't know if this can help anybody at some point , but I feel it's a handy tip.
All the best everybody , and kind regards ,
Chris :mrgreen:
This has no secret and there is much information on internet cylindrical cells and many patents.
Perhaps the merit of this is to use materials available to everyone since it is very easy to duplicate the shape of the cell.
These cells I have built with PVC pipe, sheet and stainless steel pipe 304L.
The other challenge is to find the application of this cell to recover precious metals.

Palladium said:
Very nice! Is that steel wool???
You are right in the disposition of the cell to recover gold chip use iron that is used to clean wood floors, stainless steel no.

I like the design and how the cell can be disassembled, it seems a lot of thought went into the design, the stainless steel sleeve seems to have some kind of liner or white material (in the picture) on the inside, this I do not understand, is this for a purpose or is this removed?

6 cells a@ 2.2 volts each (17.6 volts)
6 cells @ 8 amps each (48 amps)

A question on the power supply transformer and diodes (or plating rectifier supply),
The voltage is it actually higher like 20 or 24 volt or is the voltage adjustable (tapped transformer or rheostat? I also assume the power supply could supply more than 50 amps if the cell shorted, could you supply some details of the power supply, pumps and tanks, do you circulate the solutions through the cell when it is running or are the cells just filled ran then drained when done, are you using something like ammeters to let you know when cells are full of metals (how are you determining a finish point)?

Sorry for all of the questions, you just have me wondering a lot, and I am impressed with your work here, and would like to learn more about it.

Very nice setup, renatomerino thank you for showing us this, I do find it very interesting, if you do not mind bragging on a few more details, for this cell you have built.

Oops
6 cells @ 2.2 volts (13.2 volts), no excuse I am bad at math, did not sleep much lately which does not help my skill.

Palladium,
Thanks for proof reading, this makes more sense, could use a large capacity battery charger for the power supply.

(2.2 volts X 8 Amps = 17.6 Watts per cell)
(6 cells @ 17.6 watts = 105.6 watts total)
Power supply the wattage should be doubled. So a 200-watt or larger capacity, I would like to see the diodes in that power supply.

butcher said:
Palladium,
Thanks for proof reading, this makes more sense, could use a large capacity battery charger for the power supply.

That's what i was thinking.

Back