GoldSilverPro's Book For Sale

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldsilverpro

In Remembrance
Moderator Emeritus
My Book. In 1983, I wrote a 98 page book on refining/assaying. It was written for a seminar that I was planning on giving. In 1989, I revised it somewhat, and sold quite a few spiral-bound copies at $67 each. The book represented the methods that I used myself, at that time, but written for the layman.

Until yesterday, I hadn't read it for 6-8 years. Upon reading it, I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I am now 20 years older and I might do some things a bit differently, but the book stands on it's own. I might even put it in the top 3 or 4 books written on the subject.

A Bonus. In March of '08, I went though all the posts I had made on this forum (and, other forums) and selected the ones that contained meaty information. I ended up with a PDF that is 189 pages long. I organized it into categories and produced a detailed interactive Table of Contents.

The Deal. To keep the price low, the book will only be sold in digital form. When I receive payment, I will email both the book and the bonus to you, as two PDF attachments. The total size of the 2 files is about 5 megs. The price will be $35.

How to Pay. Pay by PayPal or send me a personal check (only if you reside in the US) or a money order (or,US dollars) for $35 and I'll email both the book and the bonus to you.

Send $35 to:

Chris Owen
512 S. Main
Nevada, MO 64772

NOTE: When sending the check, make sure you include a note that contains your email address. This is very important. Otherwise, there will be much confusion.

To purchase, go here:
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=22327&p=233617#p233617

Here's a copy of the Table of Contents and 3 sample pages.

Attachments

• TOC of Book plus samples.pdf
    594.5 KB · Views: 554
That is fantastic Chris!

It looks like there is a lot of detail there that is not well covered on the forum.

Chris,
Your samples of the book look excellent.
I would dare to say there is definitely a market for your product out there!

Mark

I can't wait to get my copy.
I promise i'll pay for it and not make a bit torrent for it either. :p

I know your books are about the business aspect of refining, but if you ever wrote an autobiography, now that would be one to read.

I think my most memorable times here from the forum have been listening to stories that other people have told about their experiences and real life struggles. I need to make a PDF of some of these :!: It's all been a great story line.

God i love this place. 8)

A long true story.

In about '72, I invented a method and formed a company, with a money partner, for the service of recycling all-gold plated, old type CPU, side-braze packages (mainly 40 lead) for reuse. These were rejected parts, in various stages of production. Most were rejected on final testing, after sealing.

I went to the Silicon Valley to hustle business. I hit about 10 huge electronics concerns, cold, and showed them before and after samples. Every company I went to was very eager to talk to me and they all gave me samples of their rejects.

I also found out that Fairchild Semiconductor had spent a lot of money trying to do this same thing and had failed miserably. There were also a couple of smaller companies that had worked on this, but their methods were Mickey Mouse and they produced unacceptable parts. I think they were the ones who got the patents that are mentioned below.

Purple plague was one of the reasons for rejection.

My biggest customers were Intel, AMD, and AMI. At the end, we were doing about 100,000 packages per week. We (1) Removed the lid and chip with heat and a vacuum probe and removed the bonding wires; (2) Chemically stripped (electrolytically) the gold plate and gold alloy brazes selectively without attacking the base metals (the crux of my invention). These base metals were Kovar legs and sealing ring, plus moly-manganese chip pad, internal traces, bonding fingers, and pads to braze the legs to. Also, silver/copper braze was used to attach the legs. There was also nickel plating under all the gold plating. I should mention that cyanide (the first thing I tried) wouldn't work because it attacked the copper and silver; (3) Replated the gold; and (4) Returned them to the companies for new chip attachment and reuse. Our recycled packages had a higher yield than new packages. We charged half the price of a new package. The new price of these same packages now is about $4 or $5, although there are far fewer of them used today. The extra gold we removed from the gold brazes (80/20, Au/Sn for the lid; about 96/4, Au/Si for the chip) nearly paid for our processing. At that time, when the companies put out a new chip, the early manufacturing reject rates were as high as 98%

The business ended in '74 (I think) when Nixon devalued (10%) the dollar twice and there was a 6 month dock strike. The electronics industry died. No parts could then be shipped to or from the overseas assembly facilities. Right before the strike, a company in Texas promised us 100,000 parts per day. When the strike hit, they went down to 5,000 per week. We shut our doors. Oh well.

The same process can be used for high dollar ($10 to $1,000), all-gold, hybrid packages, which are used widely today in specialized applications. The process costs are about the same as on the cheaper packages and the 50% charge still applies. Lower volumes, lower setup costs, much higher profits, on the hybrids. I set up a small hybrid process in '80. We rented a booth in a ISHM show (International Society of Hybrid Microelectronics). We laid out about 20 different before and after packages on black velvet and got over 100 electronic companies that were interested in our wares. However, at that time, my main business was gold and silver refining. 1980 was also the year that the PM prices went through the roof. We sometimes had 20 people waiting in line, when we opened the door, to sell us gold and silver scrap. There just wasn't any time to concentrate on the packages.

As far as I know, no one else has ever come up with viable process to rework these packages. There are a couple of patents out, but they require a lot of hand work and are far slower, much more expensive, and inferior to mine. I didn't patent my process but it's still in my head (and in my head only, I think). My process is still very viable.

About once a year, I feel a need to rant about this. If only that frigging dock strike hadn't happened! Oh well.
GSP.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1080&hilit=corners

Oh, and this is a classic to :arrow: http://onepocket.org/Corners.htm

I can only hope to have half the adventures you have had Chris.

I know you hate PayPal but what if you added a bit to price to cover there cost to you. I live in Canada and money orders cost like $8.

Ahh crap I'll just but $35 bucks in an envelope and sent it snail mail... :cry:

I need some help. I just brought my Paypal account up to date but don't know how to go about selling the book using Paypal. I have no website. A simple solution would be nice.

If you are selling on ebay there is a link.
If you are selling elsewhere, Just have your customers "send" the payment to your paypal account.
They will have to have a paypal account as well.

Mark

Chris,

Just log in to Paypal and on the main page of your account there will be a tab
on the top that says "request funds". Use that tab and it will guide you through
the steps. After you get the $$$$ use the tab next to it: "withdraw funds".

I hope you get to use that second tab a lot amigo!!! :lol:

I got my copy Sunday AM - get yours soon you forum type "members" and "lurkers". 8)

Chris,

For quick access to the funds you should apply for the Paypal card. It allows you to use the funds via the card as soon as they clear Paypal. The card is free and has no annual fee. It can be used like a debit card at stores and like a credit card online.

Steve

You (GoldSilverPro) said earlier, " Chemically stripped (electrolytically) the gold plate and gold alloy brazes selectively without attacking the base metals (the crux of my invention)"

Is this info in your book?

Palladium said:
About time to get GoldSilverPro.com up and running.

Just find a host that supports oscommerce, there's a module available for selling digital media.

Best part oscommerce is free, you can use paypal as your payment gateway.

http://www.oscommerce.com/

Under Paypal "Merchant Services" you can create a web button or an email link, such as below, to send people right to the page where you can purchase your book.

The "button" uses codes that don't work properly in the forum format, but the "email" link does...

I already deactivated this test link, but it does what you would want it to do. You define the "name" of the item you want to sell and the price, and any other information you want from the buyer. Paypal handles the rest. The link below is what it looks like...

Just post the link in this message thread and everyone can click and pay!

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=8894213

Back